Walls and gates

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Litchin_flip

Walls and gates

Postby Litchin_flip » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:47 pm

I looked and couldn't find anything so I figured I should put this in here.

What about walls and gates that could be built around a town/settlement or whatever you want to call it. It could open cantr up to siege warfare in which case people will have to work together to even have a chance at attacking a town. It could also make it possible for people to turn an entire area into a giant prison.
SIMMONS--SNOWWIS--hmmm interesting don't you think
Elros

Postby Elros » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:52 pm

I believe it has been suggested before, however, what is the difference between a wall or a large building? A large building could be used just as effectively now. You go inside and hide, and attackers have to work together to break the locks and get in to kill you. Putting an actual wall around a city would be a cool idea, but with the way the game is set up, it would take a whole lot of programming and changes in the way travelling and other factors work.

Now, when it comes to being able to conduct seiges on buildings with battering rams, and being able to tear them down, that is a different idea. That is something that has been disscussed for a while now, and I think it is a good idea.
Every action has a consequence.
Litchin_flip

Postby Litchin_flip » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:57 pm

A noteable point but you can't always fit an entire town in a building. Though I do admit it would be difficult to implement.
Litchin_flip

Postby Litchin_flip » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:59 pm

What if gates worked similar to harbors though?
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:13 pm

I guess it should be comparatively easy to put a wall around a building. You would have to put one or more existing buildings inside the new one. That would be opposite to the regular building order (from the outside to the inside) and would require some programming, but it should be possible.
A complete town on the other hand... you would have to put the resources and machines into the building, too.
Pretty in pink.
Elros

Postby Elros » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:54 pm

Piscator wrote:A complete town on the other hand... you would have to put the resources and machines into the building, too.

And the animals... ;)
Every action has a consequence.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:57 pm

Nah, they stay outside... Seriously, who wants them in town? :wink:
Pretty in pink.
toon

Postby toon » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:04 am

Well, then you have to go outside the walls to hunt if the animals were outside, so you'd have to have part of the city inside the gates and then a city outside the gates for hunting or something.

I agree with the fact that you should be able to break buildings, but do we need walls for this? I guess it would make it possible to gather resources while being inside the gates.
Gran

Postby Gran » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:12 pm

Yes, this has been posted before. But it is always a nice topic.

City walls surround the city, and it has been very unusual to wall the farmlands as well. It is possible, but it would be more expensive. It would be more reasonable to wall the city and stock up a huge load of food to provide rations during siege. Gardens, however, would be possible to be walled without any change on the building cost due the fact that they don't need much space.

About gates... Well, they are large doors. That probably would need more than a crowbar to take down. Probably a ram or vehicle loaded with a very nice load of petroil or alcohol (of course, you would loose it in the process :) Or leave it in a very bad shape).
"Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso"
Arlequin

Re: Walls and gates

Postby Arlequin » Mon May 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Bump.

Gates: some kind of resting machine.
Project: guarding the gates, max 2 - halves damage in town (because nobody crosses the gates without everybody else being made to notice their weapons or something) unless guards are removed/dealt with.

Battle field: some kind of resting thing, basically meant to be a belt of barren land around the town.
Sieging the town: makes everybody unable to leave the town (entering from the roads still possible). Also, all attacks and lockpicking are disabled for 72 hours.
Why would a town build a battle field: because they are confident in their defenses and rather have a 72h warning than the possibility of fleeing.
♫ bling! ♫
CrashBlizz

Postby CrashBlizz » Wed May 19, 2010 4:55 pm

I think gates would help societies in cantr a 'lot'. You often see emptyish towns suddenly get one or two charries who try to make something of the place only to be completely slaughtered by a much bigger neighbouring town who disagree with their idea of laws or something. Being able to stop other people entering, or leaving, your town (apart from newspawns) would give culture a chance to develop.

It should be possible to just gate roads off. If the road someone is on is gated then they get stuck at 99% until its opened. Programming wise it'd be like building a lock on a road (i'd guess). Each roads needs a seperate gate and if someones trying to get in a locked gate the people in the town hear that someone is on the other side or something like that.

Not so sure about walls...
returner

Postby returner » Wed May 19, 2010 6:34 pm

Regardless - for this to be implemented effectively, you need the ever-dreamy grid-system programmed in first.
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
CrashBlizz

Postby CrashBlizz » Wed May 19, 2010 7:18 pm

returner wrote:Regardless - for this to be implemented effectively, you need the ever-dreamy grid-system programmed in first.

Why???

use the existing road system. Just add an on/off switch to each exit (I realise its not that simple)
MikeH

Postby MikeH » Wed May 19, 2010 8:19 pm

CrashBlizz wrote:
returner wrote:Regardless - for this to be implemented effectively, you need the ever-dreamy grid-system programmed in first.

Why???

use the existing road system. Just add an on/off switch to each exit (I realise its not that simple)

I was wondering if it could be something like locked harbours and ocean travel... the road ends at a "toll gate" area, like a ship docks to a harbour, but if the gate is locked, you can't get into the town. Same as if the harbour were locked.
YugoStrikesBack

Postby YugoStrikesBack » Thu May 20, 2010 6:15 am

The problem with people going into buildings and using that as a "fort" is this: If your not outside, people who spawn in your town will think it's dead and leave. Newspawns are key in many societies since without them, societies slowly die out. In addition, you can't gather resources in a building.

Plus people come in your town and you miss seeing wtf they are doing like they are breaking into your car or in another building or simply wishing to trade.

While walls do help solve this problem, they also imbalance the fighting engine by causing the game to become "too defensive." I say this because every big town will end up getting these walls and gates and be able to protect their towns with utmost ease. However, while ambushes do happen in real life, they also don't tend to happen when the ambusher is outnumbered and the ambushee is in known territory and just as well armed or better. Therefore, something needs to be done as ambushes kill the realism of cantr, but what?

The only solution I can think of to tackle this problem of ambush fighting (a method of attack that I have mastered) is to allow people to see people coming down the road and be able to react accordingly. For example, if you knew that one ambush (the first one) I helped launch on you was coming Doug, wouldn't you have reacted accordingly?
I did it cuz I hate you.

Return to “Suggestions”