Suggestions for International Emotes

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Doug R.

Suggestions for International Emotes

Postby Doug R. » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:42 pm

I want to expand this page in the wiki:
http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Int_emotes

Currently, the page is entirely inadequate and does not allow for basic non-verbal communication between language groups. With cross-language contact now being the norm as opposed to the exception, it's critical for Cantr's continued development that all language groups be able to communicate on a basic, non verbal level.

Below, please list your suggestions for useful, basic emotes. Please keep them simple (one sentence only).
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:06 pm

How about *looks confused*
That's all I can think of right now, besides *speaks quietly* and *speaks loudly/yells* but I don't know how many use those.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
Drael

Postby Drael » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:52 am

Yup, this and more gesture perhaps. Waves, jumps, shake head etc?
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:58 am

Drael wrote:Yup, this and more gesture perhaps. Waves, jumps, shake head etc?
We already have two of those. He's asking for specifics that aren't already there.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
Drael

Postby Drael » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:06 am

I know. But i understand that out of language communication is facilitated alot by expression and gesture, which currently is in language stuff. If language mixing is the trend, as it seems to be, well need local dictionaries set up by leaders and some form of dynamic explainatory power beyond words. For me, more gestures seems to be the obvious choice.

A small graphic, like on a forum could be useful, but in language in would distract from RPing a bit.....better to write a description.....

Its an issue. Anyone else have any ideas?
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:07 am

Drael, again, we know we need different gestures. We're looking for specifics not just "we need more gestures to improve RP". We already know that.
Drael

Postby Drael » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:14 am

Jumps
Lies down
Shakes head
Nods
Holds up <item>
Looks confused, raises hands up
Points to <head>
Extends arms wide
Creates small gap between hands

??
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:17 am

Awesome, that's more like it. I like the extending arms and such.

*looks shocked/surprised*
*spins around*
*holds up X# of fingers*
Drael

Postby Drael » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:32 am

Good esp the fingers.

Um, draws outline of (A few basic objects; house, boat, car, water, plus maybe circle, square, line, zig-zag)

Mimes (Similary, simple mimies: sword, sheild, knife, hammer, scissors etc)

Picks up and displays (or points to) <resourse>
Etoile

Postby Etoile » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:28 pm

www.google.com/translate make you own emotes.
Etoile de la Mort
Caesar
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milkyway, Our Galaxy, Time & Space

Postby Caesar » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:37 pm

Etoile wrote:www.google.com/translate make you own emotes.

In other languages, horrible grammar.

Yeah, make your own emotes.
- Every person lost in war is two too many.
- Respect comes from two sides and must be earned. Nobody has the right to it because of a title, sex, age, race or birth.
- What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
- I believe in True Love, do you?
guilletierno

Postby guilletierno » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:14 pm

*draw in the dust a [object]*
El vino viene cantando desde la tierra,
baja del cerro hecho agua,
y en una raíz se queda,
y sube por una camino que se llama enredadera,
parra, parrón, vid, mil hojas, verde sombra o como quieras.
trojo

Re: Suggestions for International Emotes

Postby trojo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:21 pm

We should be able to point to items in our own inventory, visible items in another player's inventory (e.g. crowbars, music instruments), items on the ground, resources, and animal groups.

I play a character in a small language group that has contact fairly often with other language groups. One of my chars is living in a ghost town (with all locked doors of course), and I would like, the next time some foreign explorers drawn to our lighthouse drop in, to be able to point to the crowbar they are carrying, point to the fortress of the former ruler, and give them a thumbs-up and grin.

Well maybe not the thumbs-up. I've heard that's a profane gesture in some cultures.
Rebma

Re: Suggestions for International Emotes

Postby Rebma » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:46 am

trojo wrote:We should be able to point to items in our own inventory, visible items in another player's inventory (e.g. crowbars, music instruments), items on the ground, resources, and animal groups.

I play a character in a small language group that has contact fairly often with other language groups. One of my chars is living in a ghost town (with all locked doors of course), and I would like, the next time some foreign explorers drawn to our lighthouse drop in, to be able to point to the crowbar they are carrying, point to the fortress of the former ruler, and give them a thumbs-up and grin.

Well maybe not the thumbs-up. I've heard that's a profane gesture in some cultures.

Don't use the north american "OK" sign either :P. ... I thought the wiki had info on items in different languages... Either way it'd be nice to have a list of item names translated...

Return to “Suggestions”