Doors

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

toon

Doors

Postby toon » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:21 am

Doors at this time are still make of wood, right? So shouldn't it be a good idea to make it able to berak through a door made of wood?
Maybe it would take like a year, waiting for the wood to rott some and depending on the person's strength to determine the exact time, but I was just thinking that it would be more realistic to make it to where you "can" get out of a locked door without a crowbar. But I guess that would mean less use for the crowbar...
shapukas

Postby shapukas » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:59 am

You have looked too many movies :) you woudnt be able to break out. Doors arent made of paper you know. And allso doors cound be open only into inside direction. From that point you woud never be able to brake out. There is no properties of doors. Maby those doors are quite thik? Have you ever saw castle doors? Not gates. Doors. Try to brake those :)
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:50 am

No wood is needed to make doors... presumably Cantrians can make mud doors, and stone buildings will have stone ones... try getting through one of those. *grin*
Gran

Postby Gran » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:23 pm

Well, it is hard to imagine a mud door, or a grass door...I guess cantrians are pretty advanced...
"Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso"
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:38 pm

As of now.. doors don't really exactly exist as a mechanical thing in game... and the entry to a building only has anything there necissarily when a "lock" is built... and with as much metal as a lock takes to build... it's possible that all doors are iron. So... good luck bashing your way through that without hurting yourself.
Scratch and sniff text
Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:57 pm

A lock is 200 grams (less than 1/2 lb.) of iron. It would take a lot more than that to make a door, unless you made it as thin as a foil seal on some food containers.
Rossato

Postby Rossato » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:00 pm

Well, if you make a hall out of 50kg stone and eat 25g of cooked meat per day, we may think that Cantr world is smaller than ours. So, a door made of 200g of iron isn't that impossible.
Não vai dar tempo!!
toon

Postby toon » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:11 pm

Wow, so cantrians are midgets with with unknown doors that locks somehow go on? We ARE special. :P
Gran

Postby Gran » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:13 pm

Preparing new sig about that.

On-topic:Why crack down doors?What would be the point of crowbars?They would be...alone...and...sad.. :cry:
"Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso"
Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:28 pm

As I've said before, the realism of Cantr breaks down under examination. The best way to design a game is to think about what is fun and balanced, and then you can add a dash of realistic touches for flavor. The attempts at realism should be the spice to be sprinkled on top, not the meat and potatoes.
Voltenion

Postby Voltenion » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:06 am

:shock: PANPAN PAN PAAAAAN!!! Cantrians are midgets! dwarfs with smaller bear and with less( or none) beer!! Oh my midget!!! spread the word!! RUN AND TELL EVERYONE! THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO CONTROL US THAT HAVE DOOR WHO AREN'T MADE WITH JUST 200g OF IRON!!! OH NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :roll:
"Delete Fu Island" activist.
phoenixannwn

Re: Doors

Postby phoenixannwn » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:57 am

I was actually thinking about this, but more about door strength. I think that "doors" should have a rot time, and after a while, just fall apart. Think about it, if you come to a long abandoned town, is everything going to be all perfectly maintained? No. Maybe it should even be combined with building rot, I don't know, but I'm not going to talk about that 'cause it has it's own subject. Anyway, I think doors do need to rot, but not quickly. They don't do that IRL either. Crowbars should still be very important, but I've had characters spawn in completely empty towns (not sure how that happens, really) and they just can't get into locked doors. I actually had one travel through three empty towns before she was able to find a crowbar and get some resources that were just lying around.
Also, off topic, I think there should be "strengths" of doors. Like, wood doors are cheapest, stone more expensive, steel most expensive, that sort of thing.
Just an idea bouncing around in my head.
70% cute, 30% WTF
Bargon wanchi kox paa, Solo! Hoo hoo hoo hoo
http://witchesandweres.tumblr.com/
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:25 pm

I agree that we need different lock/door strengths and different ways to open them. I also agree that doors should rot, but only after building deterioration is implemented.
Pretty in pink.
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:54 am

If so, maybe doors could rot at a different pace than the building? Perhaps a tad quicker?
Then we'd fall back to the issue of how to handle "open" doors.
70% cute, 30% WTF
Bargon wanchi kox paa, Solo! Hoo hoo hoo hoo
http://witchesandweres.tumblr.com/
g1asswa1ker

Postby g1asswa1ker » Mon May 23, 2011 4:35 pm

Un used building and locks should have far greater rot then they do now... Have you ever seen an abandon building how quickly it falls apart. Eventually the roof caves in...
Somehow you strayed and lost your way,
and now there'll be no time to play,
no time for joy,
no time for friends
- not even time to make amends.
You are too naïve if you do believe life is innocent laughter and fun.

Return to “Suggestions”