signal flags

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

watermelonnose

signal flags

Postby watermelonnose » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:17 pm

Project signal flags
xxx grams wood
xxx grams cotton cloth
tools: needle

To be able to allow communications between two boats within close proximity of each other or a boat and the shore.

It could work by being able to enter only one character at a time before hitting the signal button

you see signal from boat off your port bow: A
you see signal from boat off your port bow: B
you see signal from boat off your port bow: C
Last edited by watermelonnose on Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:23 pm

on a similar vein, flares? Flags and flares could be used on land as well, from signal towers, and we could have different ways of raising them, or different heights, allowing people to make codes etc.
new.vogue.nightmare

Postby new.vogue.nightmare » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:40 pm

Flags should be more like... 100 g wood, 65-100 g cotton cloth.
Sicofonte wrote:SLURP, SLURP, SLURP...

<Kimidori> esperanto is sooooo sexy^^^^
watermelonnose

Postby watermelonnose » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:25 pm

new.vogue.children wrote:Flags should be more like... 100 g wood, 65-100 g cotton cloth.

yes that is what I meant to write. fixed.
creepyguyinblack

Postby creepyguyinblack » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:45 pm

Sweet, Semaphore!
Also, as I saw return of the king, i thought cantr should have signal fires that could be seen maybe one location away.
new.vogue.nightmare

Postby new.vogue.nightmare » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:40 pm

I don't think a needle should be necessary. Simple knots can hold flags together...and for that it should also be very quick to put one together.
Sicofonte wrote:SLURP, SLURP, SLURP...

<Kimidori> esperanto is sooooo sexy^^^^
Spectrus_Wolfus

Postby Spectrus_Wolfus » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:46 am

possible use of signal flares could be for town's that are close together if they came under attack someone could fire off a signal flare to let them know that a crimanl is at large or to call for assitance
Missy

Postby Missy » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:14 am

I was also thinkning of flags. Not even just signal flags. But to represent certain areas of a place that belong to one govt or another. :P
Meh

Postby Meh » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:48 am

Are we missing dyes though?
Spectrus_Wolfus

Postby Spectrus_Wolfus » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:03 am

there is always different clothes being different colour's plus i guess needle point could be used and make them a tapestry type flag
Camino

Postby Camino » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:57 pm

Well, you could crush different plants in a bowl to get a crude dye. Of course the programming for it all would have to be totally open, in other words like the rest of the game.

Beacons, flares, flags, bouys, signs and being able to interact with the environment more, are all sorts of things that would expand life hugely.
Indio

Postby Indio » Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:50 pm

forget dyes. Instead do like the romans did and have four flag poles set alight. The romans used to use this method by makeing a sort of code i.e. second and fird flag pole alight means the letter h, first and fourth E, third and first L and second and third P. H E L P. See. The naked human eye can see a flame up to five miles away and this method works at night.

Anyway i like the idea :)
Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:59 am

What about smoke signals. Two towns could agree on certain codes to send signals to each other. If someone commited a crime and then left towards another town, you could send a smoke signal and the person could be detained as soon as he/she arrived, until someone from the other town could get there.
Some are friends of the Wolf.....others are Dinner
Camino

Postby Camino » Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:27 pm

I wonder how that would look in-game though, smoke signals and fires and flags are all good but how do you go about getting them working properly?

With flags you just have a certain number and each one means different short messages, that's the best way I see for the use of flags because otherwise it just gets complicated. So, you have your generic flags all made up and then you just work out what each one will mean, simple.

Smoke signals are a lot more difficult though and I think you'd have to go on a similar method of flags where a certain series of signals means one big message rather then trying to do one yourself. Rather like picking an option to send 'a short puff, long puff, long puff' and various alterations of that basic idea.
Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:36 pm

Well for smoke signals you would use a large cloth and put it over the fire to trap smoke, then you move it to let the smoke rise. You could tell the town next to you that two puffs of smoke means that there is a criminal heading thier way, or something like that. The problem with flags is that if you put one up and the town you wish to signal is in the forest and 2.6 days a way in game time. Then logicaly they wouldn't be able to see the flag with all of the trees blocking them.....hmmm...what if we could build watch towers that could see over the trees. They could need 60,000 grams of wood to build. They would have to be large so that you can see over the trees.
Some are friends of the Wolf.....others are Dinner

Return to “Suggestions”