Marketing department suggestions.

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:51 am

I was wandering around and came upon these sites. Cantr is already listed but the information looks to be about three years old. :)

http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/vote_ ... d=Cantr+II

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/dbma ... word=cantr
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:59 am

I personally thing we need some apparel. Serioulsy, if you guys can get some contacts to get some green smily tees with the website on the back, I would so buy one. (thats us fans paying you to advertise BTW ;)) Probably start a poll in general discussion to get a ballpark of how many people would want to buy to find out what sort of scale to get them made on.
Scratch and sniff text
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:05 pm

zisked wrote:I don't know if anyone has done this - what about a Cantr Facebook or MySpace group? I know that on Facebook at least, the newsfeed would get the group name exposed to a large number of people. People are usually more prone to trying new things when it's presented to them in a clever way through a familiar source.

Yes. Someone familiar with these communities please do it!
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:20 pm

Nakranoth wrote:I personally thing we need some apparel. Serioulsy, if you guys can get some contacts to get some green smily tees with the website on the back, I would so buy one. (thats us fans paying you to advertise BTW ;)) Probably start a poll in general discussion to get a ballpark of how many people would want to buy to find out what sort of scale to get them made on.

This would be really easy with something like cafepress.com - no min orders and you set the price. So Cantr could make a little money or let us order stuff at cost ;) And it's not limited to tshirts.
schroederjj2003

Postby schroederjj2003 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:25 pm

but could the server handle more people?
buddyhall

Marketing

Postby buddyhall » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:35 pm

I made a suggestion before just a small one about another site you could contact i don't know what the budgets like but i have a whole heap of ideas for this Shirts/apparel is always a good idea but i have a better idea what about some sorta give away like a contest first place wins a tshirt and hat or something 2nd and 3rd some resources , also if you guys have server problems maybe i could help my friend from Hong Kong now residing in canada is a computer genuis i have been thinking about setting up my own server for something anyways but another suggestion of mine is flyers they are cheap and we could have the contest revolve around that whoever gets the most refers from there flyers or something like that, what do you think?
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:04 am

http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4399&highlight=cantr+shirt
http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4518&highlight=cantr+shirt
http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690&highlight=cantr+shirt
http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2388&highlight=cantr+shirt

Suggested. Almost pulled off. What we really need for marketing, more than ideas, is for some people to actually manage to follow through on some of the ideas. Nick and West were really really close on the T-Shirt idea, if I remember correctly, and didn't colonel have some stuff up and going with his radio station a couple of summers ago?
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:50 am

Crosshair wrote:Make teeshirts with "A man in his twenties" On! Not my suggestion, i saw it ages ago, but still...

This is a really good idea. There's a large demographic of people who would buy this, including me.

Just 'a man in his twenties' and below it, 'visit cantr.net'
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
buddyhall

I think a really good idea would be a multi national world

Postby buddyhall » Mon May 21, 2007 9:43 am

Why can't there be a place with english cantr people next to a place or town with chinese next to a town with russian you know like it was or is in the real world or start a new multi langage world we can all join have them spawn in there respectable places and go from there i think that would draw many new players and create alot of fun what do you think where it says langague you could choose multi national ?????

so when you choose english or spanish and what not you choose to have one or all chars in the multinations one if not forever i think you should atleast try one as a competition see what langague wins out
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." einstein
psymann

Postby psymann » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:38 am

A few other ideas if you want to advertise this wider... these are all ideas I suggested to War of Empires some months ago, and they're pretty much all transferable:

NB: Prerequisite! Fix the damn lag! :wink:

1) Free ads in your local paper if they do them.

2) Free ad cards in your local supermarket / post office / library / whatever.

3) Probably verges on littering, but you could print out bits of paper with "www.cantr.net" and stick them with blu-tac to train windows or something, arouse people's interest.

4) A6-size flyers dumped on the tables in university bars (certainly at our unis, there are always flyers on bar tables advertising anything from chess club to band gigs.

5) Any school/uni noticeboards you could stick a little advert on?

6) Create a little image (we may have these already, in which case make them more accessible to people) that people can put on their website - better still, create a snippet of code they can add as well for those not good at HTML. Similar to the little icon I have on www.hairywhale.co.uk

7) Add Cantr to your signature in other forums you may frequent (same as war of empires is in my signature here).

8 ) Make T-shirts - I see here someone's already thought of this one, and it sounds good!

9) Type in "free multiplayer games" or "free role-playing games" into google, and see which sites come up at the top. Make sure Cantr is registered with those sites.

Other ideas from people there were:

10) Add cantr.net to your name on Instant Messenger.

psymann
Retired from www.warofempires.com
(psymann, psydkik, psyborg, psyanide on chronicles of the ages v2-v6) and now seeking a peaceful life in Cantr.

Run out of Cantr minutes? Try www.battlemaster.org for more roleplaying fun.
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:55 am

psymann wrote:NB: Prerequisite! Fix the damn lag! :wink:
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
SwimFan

Postby SwimFan » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:26 pm

mmkay there's already a Cantr group on facebook and myspace. I even made a cantr dedicated myspace profile it's www.myspace.com/newspawncantr
I don't actually swim all that often

<A>site</A>

tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:18 am

I'm certain that the lafg is the cause of many new players quitting even before they start.
Are the e-addresses of former players stored somewhere? If so, and *if* the lag ever gets fixed, could these people be contacted, told that the game now works, and invited to try again?
fallenval

Refferal contest

Postby fallenval » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:46 am

Refferal contest
Suggested breifly before everyone has their own refferal codes and they give it out to people, family friends strangers that hobo on green street.... maybe not him.

Prizes are a little more difficult because in cantr unlike most games the point isnt to "win" its just for fun so my suggestions are...

I hope you dont mind being used as an example but make it like this

tiddy ogg
Players Dept. Member (Aspirant)
Refferals:_ that should be in bold to stand out

Secondly: Extra minutes per refferal

Thirdly (is that a word?): The winner of the contest can pick an already accepted suggestion and have it implemented ASAP (hope this doesnt put alot of pressure on ProgD i would help if i could.

PS: Refferals would have to stay active for x days before they are counted.
RPG
Rocket Propelled Grenade
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:24 am

Don't you already get extra minutes for referrals? I'm not sure, but it is at least a long accepted suggestion ...

Return to “Suggestions”