Stealth

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

The Industriallist

Stealth

Postby The Industriallist » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:39 am

I know there are a lot of posts about this, but I thought that unifying the subject might be useful.

Many people seem to be interested in various activities that would involve people not seeing things. Assasination, concealed weapons, disguises, and probably more.

Does anyone have a good idea for how this would work? Preferably without forcing people to inspect every character every day to make sure they aren't doing anything wrong.

One thing I would like to see is the 'stealth lockpick' I mentioned once... A crowbar is not what most people mean by a lockpick. :lol:
"If I can be a good crackhead, I can be a good Christian"

-A subway preacher
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:57 pm

perhaps a concealment project, where you concentrate on being unseen.

Whilst in that project, and not doing anything else, you are completely concealed from everyone else.

perhaps the first action you perform after ending the project is not shown, to represent using your stealth, so you could leave town, or attack someone, and only you and the attacked would know about it.

To balance it there would have o be a search project, so you can find hiding people
The Industriallist

Postby The Industriallist » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:25 am

A little extreme, I would think. Sneak into a van, do the hide project again for the minimum required time, and drive off. And no one sees the van leave. :?

If the annoying approach is ok, you could have slower versions of some tasks that are not announced and don't appear on the projects screen, but are seen if you are inspected.

For example:

Backstab takes 2 days, but does a lot of damage and isn't revealed until it occurs.

Lockpicking requires lockpicks, which are steel and take maybe 10 days to make, and takes a long time, but no one is alerted, and the lock is just unlocked.
"If I can be a good crackhead, I can be a good Christian"

-A subway preacher
thingnumber2

Postby thingnumber2 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:16 am

678-1: you see a door open and shut
swymir

Postby swymir » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:05 pm

I don't like the hiding idea while moving. There should be a way to hide, but while hiding you can't do anything else. Also maybe it would take a few turns to find a good hiding place.
"My mind works like lightning, one brilliant flash and it's gone."
David

Postby David » Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:47 am

*Watches Lad's Homeland Security Department Sweating Bullets* lol Lad would have a problem capturing almost every person that just tries to leave its Empire. If you think about it, its a little rediculous that an Empire can almost capture every defector, even when the defector isn't calling attention to himself or herself.

It's not like they have security cameras and a huge cinderblock wall around their empire.
kroner

Postby kroner » Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:49 am

Maybe they do :shock:
DOOM!
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:27 pm

The Industriallist wrote:A little extreme, I would think. Sneak into a van, do the hide project again for the minimum required time, and drive off. And no one sees the van leave. :?

Ah, I see your point. I think there should then be exceptions. I guess it's common sense over what you might notice or not, and vans would be one of the things you'd see.
amika-babilfrenzo

Postby amika-babilfrenzo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:44 am

How about instead of you trying to not be noticed, an action like 'Distract', which draws attention to only one person's actions, making only their actions noticeable for as long as they're being distracting. This could create magicians, and similar charlatans, and would allow thieves with an accomplice to make a clean getaway.
Gran

Postby Gran » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:21 am

But how many people would the charlatan distract?
"Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso"
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:23 am

amika-babilfrenzo wrote:How about instead of you trying to not be noticed, an action like 'Distract', which draws attention to only one person's actions, making only their actions noticeable for as long as they're being distracting. This could create magicians, and similar charlatans, and would allow thieves with an accomplice to make a clean getaway.

Wouldn't that be like um... dragging a character ONTO a project? O.o

Dudel isn't sure about this. :?
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:12 am

GranAttacker wrote:But how many people would the charlatan distract?
It could be randomized. Like lock-picking projects. But more present.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
BlueNine

Postby BlueNine » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:19 am

Only way I could see stealth (and detection) being implemented would be 2 new skills. Stealth and Perception/Detection, then had an option the player could check to be doing things stealthily (increasing project time 2x or something) and then have "noise" based on a random roll and their skill. Then detection skill would essentially be how much "noise" is needed for an action to be noticed by someone, perhaps also having detection as optional and increasing project time aswell.
Lying in the depths of your imagination, worlds above and worlds below, you can tell a man from what he has to say
Xervicx

Postby Xervicx » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:50 am

I like the idea of stealth... it would give an opportunity for thieves to get away with thngs...

the things that every player is not going to like is being victim of that. One person is seen just walking from their hous ,outside, to their house again. What they really did was this: Their House, Outside, Building, Outside, Their House...

This would aggravate many players, who would then complain about missing items. therefore they would have to be told that their items were stolen. which could in certain situations (like the unspotted theif leaving town) reveal the information that a certain character may have stolen it
Forgotten we are, but Forget, we will not
lordcooper

Postby lordcooper » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:17 pm

1. I love the idea
2. It would only really work in a stat based game
3. Cantr is not a stat based game
4. When was the last time something significantly new was added to Cantr?

That is all.

Return to “Suggestions”