Gagged and Bound

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

YugoStrikesBack

Re: Gagged and Bound

Postby YugoStrikesBack » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:40 am

If you guys want to get really technical about things, how does a person even recover from a battle axe or crossbow attack? I'm all for one hit kills. Gimme that power and I will bring all of you to your knees.
I did it cuz I hate you.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:12 am

Can't we rather have a cage instead of a stock? Seems more compatible with the game mechanics as it's more plausible to keep stuff in it and we could also make it slightly bigger (3-4 people?) which would make it less easy to block accidentally. I'm thinking about something like this:

http://www.boingboing.net/200907132014.jpg

(We could have cage dancers, too, by the way.)

((This raises the question, what happens if we build a vehicle inside a building?))
Pretty in pink.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:40 pm

I imagine since we can't build a vehicle inside a building now, it's not an issue.

I can't argue with your logic about making it a cage, except to say that there's something fundamentally more sinister and exposed about a stock.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:02 pm

Well, the only reason we can't build a vehicle inside a building is because we define it this way. It's a matter of the build conditions we choose.

I agree that a stock or pillory has some unique qualities, but I guess one of these

http://a33.idata.over-blog.com/300x400/1/81/87/15/25--Romania/New-Folder--B400--P7140114.jpg

comes pretty close.
Pretty in pink.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:21 pm

My guess is that 1) you obviously couldn't go anywhere since there are no roads and 2) You might have all kinds of errors interacting with people in the building. I guess that would depend on if buildings are defined differently than locations and roads. Alternatively, you might still be able to hear the people outside the building, but not those inside. Could have all kinds of interesting effects.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:05 pm

Well, I just noticed that ships docked to a harbor are technically vehicles in a building, so I guess it would be quite unproblematic to have a cage in your dungeon, especially as it's not supposed to travel anywhere anyway.
Pretty in pink.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:11 pm

Well, if that's true, all we need to do to make vehicles stored inside buildings is to add docking features to them. I would really love to be able to transport bikes, etc, on my ships.
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm sorry I didn't really read most of this thread but is there at least a chance for someone to get out of it? I mean with a tool or whatever. As putting someone in a position to not have any change to get out it would be the same as the too much weight in a building to enter abuse. Giving people no chance to escape.
There is no rule that says I can't post as much I want. I asked my lawyer.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:20 pm

They'd be able to bust the lock, just like any other vehicle.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Hmm. Docking currently only works in free roaming mode, but I guess something like that could be programmed pretty easily.

@Arenti: With a crowbar you could try to break the lock of the cage/stock in the conventional manner. (One reason more to not make it a stock, by the way. The prisoner would be fully mobile within the confines of his prison.)
Pretty in pink.
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Okay. And what about the gagged and bound part? Or will this only be as in a the cage form? And yes I prefer the cage to be implemented as well.
There is no rule that says I can't post as much I want. I asked my lawyer.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:25 pm

In regards to the other components (handcuffs and shackles), I'd say that they could be picked with a lockpick by the victim, or the chain broken using some tool (although the broken item would still be visible in inventory - you'd need to unlock it somehow to remove it completely).

A gag would only be useful in combination with handcuffs, or else they could take it right off.
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:20 am

I'm definitely all for some (any!) type of restraints in the game mechanic. Do you know how hard it is to torture someone if they have to agree to be restrained? :roll: Everyone's character's superman (at least, everyone who any of my characters have tortured seems to be), and it either forces you to lose or do bad RP, which is so no fun.
Not to mention, we need more non-lethal options. Death or time-out is not the answer to everything. And just hitting someone and not killing them is pointless. :roll:
We need something the character's don't have a choice to listen to.
For the restraints (stocks, handcuffs, tied wrists, w/e) instead of not letting them **, you could just not let them use anything in their inventory and not let them use anything off the ground. Or hit anyone. Yes, there's still room for naughty RPing, but it also gives you a bit more leeway and would probably make it easier to set up.
Oh, and what are those pillar things they used to whip people on? It was like a tall pole, and the person's hands were tied to the top with a length of leather, and they would be whipped like 40 times or whatever. Got it! (Courtesy of google/wikipedia). A pillory! We should have one of those too. :twisted:
70% cute, 30% WTF
Bargon wanchi kox paa, Solo! Hoo hoo hoo hoo
http://witchesandweres.tumblr.com/
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:57 am

Doug R. wrote:Well, if that's true, all we need to do to make vehicles stored inside buildings is to add docking features to them. I would really love to be able to transport bikes, etc, on my ships.

Yes, please. :)

I don't know all that's been said before, but I think it would make sense for tying someone up or handcuffing someone to work like dragging does, and would require the same amount of strength.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:06 am

It would also be super-helpful if we could tell when they were asleep. It's way easier to time someone up then.
:roll:
I know, I know, it's never gonna happen, I just think that if you logged out, it would be sweet if we could be asleep.
70% cute, 30% WTF
Bargon wanchi kox paa, Solo! Hoo hoo hoo hoo
http://witchesandweres.tumblr.com/

Return to “Suggestions”