Resource Request List

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Tue May 22, 2007 4:51 am

Any examples? Keep in mind, many processes have been made much simpler in Cantr then their real world counterparts... ie steel manufacture... If it's only in already semi-complex processes, it's probably best left out.
Scratch and sniff text
buddyhall

starch

Postby buddyhall » Tue May 22, 2007 6:40 pm

Starch comes from potatoes corn wheat and rice and can be used to make paper , glues and wine gums.
starch would need machines and stuff heres my referance page if you guys will take this one seriously.

http://www.starch.dk/

Oil drilling

Pregelatinized starch is used to increase viscosity of drilling mud and to reduce fluid loss by sealing the walls of boreholes . Cross-linking imparts higher temperature stability. Starch ethers impart tolerance to polyvalent cations and sea water. Starch are usedand for increasing the viscosity of transport and
cooling water.

Gypsum & Mineral Fiber

Starch is used as a binder in gypsum plaster, gypsum and mineral fibre board

Starch is used as an adhesive.
Textile

Starch is used for sizing yarn to improve abrasion resistance in fast looms. Starch is is used for finishing fabrics to add feel, stiffness or to provide a good printing surface. Thin-boiling starches are preferred.

Marmalade and jam

For proper texture, jellied fruit products require the correct combination of fruit, pectin, acid, and sugar.
Sugar serves as a preserving agent, contributes flavor, and aids in gelling. Cane and beet sugar are the usual sources of sugar for jelly or jam. Starch syrup may be used to replace part of the sugar in recipes, but too much will mask the fruit flavor and alter the gel structure. Too little sugar prevents gelling and may allow yeasts and molds to grow.
Medium high glucose syrup - 63 DE - replaces sugar in marmalade and jam. To provide good shelf life a high sugar concentration is required and for the purpose a 63 DE syrup is preferred to the traditional 42 De syrup. High conversion syrups and HFS adds more sweetness and increase osmotic pressure (better shelf life).
Foundries.
Marshmallows

As marshmallows have a soluble solids content of 78-80%, the prevention of crystallization depends on the choice of an effective “doctor” carbohydrate. The hygroscopic nature of these products is again influenced by the ERH and marshmallows have an ERH range of 65-75%.

When considering an appropriate “doctor” for marshmallow, we find the use of invert sugar, 42DE glucose syrup and 63 DE glucose syrup. When comparing the relative vapour pressure, we find that where invert sugar is used, the relative vapour pressure (73.3%) is lower than when glucose syrups are used and therefore will pickup moisture from the atmosphere. This is important to remember if selling product in high humidity markets.

The use of 42 DE glucose will give lower moisture pickup, but may not deliver the desired sweetness or texture levels. It may be more desirable to use 63 DE glucose. This will retain more moisture and facilitate faster whipping, (due to a lower viscosity) and deliver a higher sweetness level.

Starch is used as a core binder in castings (cast molds).

basically you'd need like a potaoes crank or something like that
or a starch crank.
theres so many things it's used in i think your leaving starch out mayjust be dum were leaving it outa alot of the processes
this would open another area to the game i think is very safe and friendly to everyone..i will work on this thread more please feel free to leave ideas

Postby DELGRAD » Tue May 22, 2007 9:44 pm

You have already suggested this.

Less copy/paste and science and more suggestion is needed Buddy.

Does Cantr really need to know about 63 DE, 42 DE syrup, osmotic pressure etc... ?

Would be better if you would simply say:
Glue from rice starch.
Paper from wheat fiber.
Corn syrup from corn.

No need to give the whole scientific run-down of why.

And if I am not mistaken it was stated in the other thread that alternative sweeteners are being worked on.

Not that starch is a bad idea, but it is just one more thing to make processes/projects more tedious.
Science teacher: "good morning class"
students groan
Science teacher: "Today we will be learning about intelligent design"
Little Billy: "OH GOD"

First quoted in the NationStates forum on 10/14/05.

http://washingtonvil.myminicity.com
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Wed May 23, 2007 5:25 am

Alright... his suggestions as I saw them.

Oil drilling: Already difficult enough.

Plaster: Could potentially be used for molds in the future to make cast-(metal) tools/components... question here is what to use in place of gypsum?

Adhesive: In game purpose?

Textile: Already complicated process... I don't personally see a need to add another step to basic cloths... so until we see diffrent quality, same material cloths, I'd rather not see extra work added here.

Fruit spreads: May already see alternate sugar sources.

Foundries: Metal-working's already complicated enough...

Marshmallows: Weak healing? Would probably allow any sweetener be used to make them if at all.

So, as a component to plaster for molds, alright... and marshmallows in general, also okay...
Scratch and sniff text
TheSkyReflection

Postby TheSkyReflection » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:33 am

I would go for amber (I got feeling somebody already requested) I think variety of materials for jewelery only will increase fun.
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:04 am

Honestly, before we start adding more types of things from which to make jewelry, we need more options for the materials we already have.
Scratch and sniff text
Gran

Postby Gran » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:35 pm

We can't even make a ruby ring and you want amber?Nakroth, how the alcohol-dinking sistem is working now?
"Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso"
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:05 am

Why not?

And the drinking system is going on ;) xD
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:18 pm

I actually like the idea of amber, and Seko is working on getting more of those rings and trinkets in the game. And yes, the alcohol is on its way.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Gran

Postby Gran » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:54 pm

We can alredy drink?Before I knew my educational project of introducing booze and beverages in cantr :) I logged on and saw two additional bars above "hunger", one was "drunkness".The means something! :D

Oh and...we can have amber in jewels but we don't need to introduce the other gems to jewelry too, no?Like, what's more common:Esmerald lens, that by history, were only used by Nero(a totally freaking crazy dude who now owns one of the most popular cd-rom editor franchise) or a esmerald ring? :)

Edit:
We need to create an use to the "useless" resources like crushed myrr...
Last edited by Gran on Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso"
bmartes

new use of soda

Postby bmartes » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:05 pm

Couldn't find it in the posts
maybe we can use soda to make leather?
jabber: bmartes@jabber.xs4all.nl
You find a blessed scroll labeled ELBIB YLOH.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:09 pm

Red bell peppers
Green bell peppers
Yellow bell peppers

Please? :)
Read about my characters by following this link.
Josephpowers

Postby Josephpowers » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:08 am

seashells (seaside towns)
talons/claws (find little amounts on certain animals)
shark teeth (if you implemented sharks in seaside towns?)

I dont know the point yet. but they sound cool.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:13 am

Josephpowers wrote:seashells (seaside towns)
talons/claws (find little amounts on certain animals)
shark teeth (if you implemented sharks in seaside towns?)

I dont know the point yet. but they sound cool.

They could be used for jewelry.
My old banner ;)
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:05 pm

What about peanuts? Then you can mash them into peanut butter. And make cookies with it or have peanut butter and bread. Oooo, add sliced bananas, got another banana dish.
My old banner ;)

Return to “Suggestions”