Town Bells

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:52 am

Just to say I like the idea of warning people inside. Musicians can now alert those outside, but but those inside are far too isolated from things.
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:07 pm

In that case, is it possible to have the "use" button on a piece of "furniture" perform the same action that the play button on an instrument performs... So it's technically moveable, but rather heavier than could be carried...
Scratch and sniff text
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:01 pm

Currently the codecfor using musical instruments only works if the item is in the person's inventory so it has to be a transportable item under 15kg in weight
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:06 am

Warning people inside. Is it really so hard to step in the building and shout to them? I know you hve to repeat yourself several times without fancy equipment, but still. And if you really have to alert fifteen different buildings, there is a certain use for radios that I have not seen too many, if any, people exploiting. :wink: Everyone is so worried about them reaching the next town....
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Frits

Postby Frits » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:22 am

Brilliant suggestion! Suppose bells can only be built inside a building. If there are two different sounddescriptions, or two different bells, cantrians could start developping morse.
Arlequin

Postby Arlequin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:34 pm

Many buildings are locked and have more than one room, so no, it isn't so easy to warn people indoors.

Check this:

- Tower stone/wood extension: 5000g, small storage, this would be the only place where you could use the town bell.

- Bell pulley: 1 rope, 1 pulley (iron). A non-usable machine that allows to ring the bell.

- Small bell instrument: 2000g bronze, 4000g wood.
- Big bell instrument: 4000g bronze, 6000g wood.

You can pick and carry the bell but it will work only inside the tower extension with a bell pulley. The big bell can be heard further than the small bell. When you click the bell to use it, a prompt asks you how many times you want to ring it. Everybody in range will read then "You hear a bell ring x times from (compass direction)".

This would be a great add-on for churches and town halls. Being hard to manufacture will ensure that there aren't a lot of bells in each town and that newspawns won't be using them. An one hour delay between each use would be good too. They wear down slowly and need to be repaired.

Also:

- Ship bell: 1500g bronze, 3000g wood.

This would work only on ships with a bell pulley built in. Useful to communicate from ship to ship.
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:12 pm

Also, a plus to this would be a viable use for bronze in an iron age society... I like it.
Scratch and sniff text
Hannibal The Imbecile 15

Postby Hannibal The Imbecile 15 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:26 am

Frits wrote:Brilliant suggestion! Suppose bells can only be built inside a building. If there are two different sounddescriptions, or two different bells, cantrians could start developping morse.

That is brilliant. I like it!

Postby Schme » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:27 pm

Sounds pointless to me. You could just as well say "Hey, those pirates are attacking."
"One death is a tragedy, a million is just statistics."
Joseph Stalin
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:39 pm

Schme wrote:Sounds pointless to me. You could just as well say "Hey, those pirates are attacking."
But not to all people in buildings or to people on the roads and neighboring settlements.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - G. Marx
Hannibal The Imbecile 15

Postby Hannibal The Imbecile 15 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:27 pm

I liked the developing morse part.

I'd rather die then be emo.

- I said that.
Frits

Postby Frits » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:14 am

I'm positive cantrians will find multiple uses. Imagine a coastal location with buildings, half the people are inside, you decide to hunt, you see ships approaching, a ship is suspicious for in game reasons, you want people to notice...
Wilmer Bordonado

Postby Wilmer Bordonado » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:02 am

Frits wrote:I'm positive cantrians will find multiple uses. Imagine a coastal location with buildings, half the people are inside, you decide to hunt, you see ships approaching, a ship is suspicious for in game reasons, you want people to notice...

So you knock the door... and?

Wilmer B.
SI A LA VIDA, NO A LAS PAPELERAS!
http://www.noalapapelera.com.ar
YES TO LIFE, NO TO PULP MILLS!
http://chrislang.blogspot.com/2006_08_31_chrislang_archive.html
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:25 am

Wilmer Bordonado wrote:So you knock the door... and?

Wilmer B.

And you are in another room and don't hear it...

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

I have always though it strange that a full scale battle outside doesn't trouble someone inside in a wooden shack. I think some form of allert would be a good move and might encourage some cumminity cohesion as well...
R.I.P:
Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
Razielbr

Postby Razielbr » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:58 pm

Wilmer Bordonado wrote:So you knock the door... and?
Wilmer B.

And you have more than 50 buildings to knock, thats why they develop townsbell in the real life i think, to avoid doing this!
Time fades even legend

Return to “Suggestions”