Inventory Overhaul: Proposal

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

cooldevo

Re: Inventory Overhaul: Proposal

Postby cooldevo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:37 pm

Wolfsong wrote:5. Therefore, clothing has concealment value - different articles of clothing can conceal more/less -- based on item weight? Item size?

That's exactly how I would see it. If one is wearing a pair of skin tight leather pants or a mini-skirt, their concealment value would practically be close to zero. If you are wearing a pair of dungarees or work trousers you'r concealment value would be a lot higher as you have a lot more room and pockets available. This would also play nicely with cargo-style pants... which may or may not be in the works, *looks as innocent as possible* as they have plenty of pockets.

It is definitely something I will be keeping in the back of my mind as I go through the clothing. There will be some changes coming, and it will be announced closer to implementation. Including a whole load of new clothing pieces, but that is a topic for another thread...
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:12 am

Noooo. Please?
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?
cooldevo

Postby cooldevo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:19 pm

No to what? and why?
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:40 am

cooldevo wrote:
Wolfsong wrote:5. Therefore, clothing has concealment value - different articles of clothing can conceal more/less -- based on item weight? Item size?

That's exactly how I would see it. If one is wearing a pair of skin tight leather pants or a mini-skirt, their concealment value would practically be close to zero. If you are wearing a pair of dungarees or work trousers you'r concealment value would be a lot higher as you have a lot more room and pockets available. This would also play nicely with cargo-style pants... which may or may not be in the works, *looks as innocent as possible* as they have plenty of pockets.

It is definitely something I will be keeping in the back of my mind as I go through the clothing. There will be some changes coming, and it will be announced closer to implementation. Including a whole load of new clothing pieces, but that is a topic for another thread...

No to this. Making clothing have varying concealment value. It will destroy the fashion value.

But on the other hand, all those chicks in tarty minimalist clothes might wear more? No, I don't think they want to conceal much.
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:57 am

On the other hand, it might encourage people to wear (gasp) more than one outfit. Instead of going around killing pirates in your mini-skirt, pumps and silk bodice, you might change into a duster and some denim.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:01 am

Addicted wrote:No to this. Making clothing have varying concealment value. It will destroy the fashion value.

Agreed. Giving clothing a useful purpose is good but keep them all on an equal level. Not saying I fully agree with the idea that "inventory of naked people is fully exposed" (no pun intended) though. I prefer to have a button that someone must "inspect" the other char closely with an event message that it's occurring.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:41 am

If you've got nothing to hide, why would you need to conceal your inventory? And besides, duuuuuuh, a lady carries her things in a purse, not in pockets or under her miniskirt. :roll: And besides, if clothing had weights, the more concealing clothing would likely also be heavier, so people who wore scanty clothes could afford to include a bag and have the same total weight being carried.
Not-so-sad panda
cooldevo

Postby cooldevo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:40 pm

SumBum wrote:Agreed. Giving clothing a useful purpose is good but keep them all on an equal level.

Making everything the same as everything else doesn't add anything to the game except give it a copy-paste feel. A mini-skirt should not be able to hide anything, same with most leather clothing and the denim shorts. If you need to hide something, don't wear a mini-skirt or any skin tight. There would be many options of clothing that would be better suited to that type of job.

If I am wearing a pair of dungarees or work pants with a lot of pockets, you'd have to be pretty invasive to see everything I was carrying, such as rooting around through my pockets. That would likely be considered the same as a personal attack if someone walked up and starting searching me like that. And then we'd also have to make bags/cans/etc searchable the same way or they'd have unequal playing field by being able to hide things in them. That would be a very slippery slope that should be avoided.

Besides, it's not like you'd be able to hide a steel longsword inside pants pockets, it'd only be appropriately sized items. Although cloaks/capes could be able to hide a fair bit depending on how they are built/fit.

Not saying I fully agree with the idea that "inventory of naked people is fully exposed" (no pun intended) though. I prefer to have a button that someone must "inspect" the other char closely with an event message that it's occurring.

And how would that reasonably be explained? Where would it be stored that you couldn't see what a naked person is carrying? That would be the downside to not having/wanting clothing, you literally have no secrets or nothing to hide. Again, would be another way to give clothing an actual use.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:56 pm

cooldevo wrote:
Not saying I fully agree with the idea that "inventory of naked people is fully exposed" (no pun intended) though. I prefer to have a button that someone must "inspect" the other char closely with an event message that it's occurring.

And how would that reasonably be explained? Where would it be stored that you couldn't see what a naked person is carrying? That would be the downside to not having/wanting clothing, you literally have no secrets or nothing to hide. Again, would be another way to give clothing an actual use.

It's not reasonably explained now - I'm not using that as an excuse, just pointing it out. I like the idea of giving clothing an actual use; I would love to see weather implemented mainly for that purpose. Take a look at weapons and see how many crossbows and battleaxes are around vs the other choices (I imagine there are a lot of sabres simply because they're easier to make). I could see a similar trend happening with clothes where players will favor the items that give the best benefits.

Of course it makes sense that some items simply cannot be hidden in clothing. I didn't say I want everything to be hidden. I think the balance of things that are seen and aren't is pretty good right now. I'm all for a button that allows someone to inspect another char more closely to see their full inventory. I don't want to sift through long lists of inventory on the char info screen every time I click on a naked or semi-naked char.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:02 am

I agree that seeing the total inventory should be an inpect option (that at least the character being inspected sees), even if the character being inspected has no clothes. The difference is that depending on your clothes, not as much could be found even with the inspection.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:08 am

Furs would be in then, I guess... bye bye diversity to nullify lurkers :wink:
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:13 am

The disadvantage in this case with a fur cloak and other primitive clothing would be that there aren't pockets or other such places to put different objects.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:37 am

There are no pockets in almost any type AFAIK or I can choose there are in the characters description?

I see clothing as same as characters descriptions: a way to make each one of our characters unique. You cannot force players to choose clothing to hide their belongings. There are already enough limitations as there is, to kill the fun for the people who likes to dress characters to enhance their personalities.

And because that was and is so far an option. Characters start with nothing worth to mention. Not naked.

When weather is implemented then clothing will be seen different.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:42 pm

I think primary concealment would be in form of containers and clothing would just be used to hide small things like notes and keys and what ever is generally small enough to be kept in pockets.
Not-so-sad panda
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Notes have their own containers already: envelopes. :)

Is there now possible the store objects in containers?

Something like "pockets" is subjective, since the clothes are described as general possible in order to let players free to roleplay their own as they wish to ;)

Return to “Suggestions”