Abandoned buildings to look like ones

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

SekoETC

Abandoned buildings to look like ones

Postby SekoETC » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:43 pm

We could start recording when someone enters or exits a building, then condense the records into number of visitors a day in order to save space.

If a building hasn't had any visitors in a year or so, piles of dust would start appearing on the floor. Dust would have a 100% deterioration rate so once it was dragged outside, it would disappear at the next deterioration tick, but these piles of dust could be used to estimate how long a building has gone unused. If it was creating a new object instead of merging in the old pile, it couldn't be faked by carrying dust from other locations because that would only make it merge.

Another thought I had was footprints in the dust. If there were enough dust piles present, entering the room would cause a footprints object to be created. They would disappear once enough dust piles had been removed to go below the limit. Thus if someone wanted to conceal their visit, they'd have to do some cleaning up.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Re: Abandoned buildings to look like ones

Postby Doug R. » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:26 pm

I really like the concept, and I think removing dust should require a broom. (Can you have dragging projects that require a tool to complete dragging? Could be a useful new mechanic.)
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:36 pm

I wonder how easy or hard that would be to program.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:56 pm

Alternatively, you could make cleaning the dust a short project.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Good ideas. :) Dragging already checks for wheelbarrows, so it shouldn't be that hard to check for a broom. I like the project idea better though.

Return to “Suggestions”