Archeological opportunities

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Rusalka

Archeological opportunities

Postby Rusalka » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:16 am

As far as I know, notes remember their age, but if a note is copied, it's save the copy time, not the original one. It makes almost impossible to find out the true age of a note.

I would love to have opportunity to check the age of things. That's all we need to do some nice archeology. This could need some special equipement and examine project, that can be failed, or given randomly more or less accurate result. Would be so much fun! And could also be usuful for investigation purposes.

What do you think?
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
EchoMan

Re: Archeological opportunities

Postby EchoMan » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:54 am

There is absolutely no realism in that the copy you make from a note retains the original notes age. I don't like.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:01 am

I wondered about that myself. If you copy something, you get a copy, not another original. Paper doesn't age by writing an old text on it.
Pretty in pink.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:22 pm

If you copy editable notes, the text will be saved separately in the notes table and the game doesn't know that it's a copy of an older text. They only link to the same entry if the source was made uneditable.
Not-so-sad panda
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:53 pm

EchoMan wrote:There is absolutely no realism in that the copy you make from a note retains the original notes age. I don't like.

It's not an argument for me at all, because the whole note making process is absolutely unrealistic. Current system allows making copies that are excactly the same as the original note, so technicaly there is no original note. All of them are copies. I assume the exact copy has the same crumpled corner, this little blot in the right middle, a bit yellowed paper... Is the clone of the same old item. Examinantion will prove the same age...

Of course it doesn't make any sense to store age of editable notes. But it makes sense for uneditable ones.

In one scenerio, char who wants to be an archeologist, need to find the original, first note, which can be anywhere, eg in somebodys inventory, one of hundred copies - it's makes it statisticaly impossible.

In second scenario, char can rely on age of any uneditable note. It can be faked of course, but the truth will be revealed after examination.
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:56 pm

SekoETC wrote:They only link to the same entry if the source was made uneditable.

does it mean we can retrieve the age of all uneditable notes?
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:58 pm

Rusalka wrote:As far as I know, notes remember their age, but if a note is copied, it's save the copy time, not the original one. It makes almost impossible to find out the true age of a note.
What do you think?

I think everyone should be very considerate and date and sign their notes. The important ones anyway.

Seko, if you walk into a room and 20 notes are there, are they in a particular order?
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:02 pm

Rusalka wrote:
SekoETC wrote:They only link to the same entry if the source was made uneditable.

does it mean we can retrieve the age of all uneditable notes?

If the note is dated, yes.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:13 pm

As far as I can remember they are ordered by specifics, then type, and specifics can be null or empty, which are not the same thing but it's apparently random which one you get, and typeid refers to the id in the notes table, so if you have copies of an uneditable note, they would appear next to each other, while the rest would appear in the order they were created, with new ones on top.
Not-so-sad panda
Rumaan

Postby Rumaan » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:25 pm

Notes are unrealistic, but I think the copies should remember when they were copied.

Speaking of archeology, can we have the ability to bury anything - notes, keys, weapons etc. and the ability to dig them out? May be we can even bury and dig near specific landmarks/buildings. I think it would be fun.

Return to “Suggestions”