Tiredness based on hunger

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Rusalka

Tiredness based on hunger

Postby Rusalka » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:29 pm

I have another idea, which isn't necessarily a hibernation, but it could work same way at some point.

1. Make the tiredness affected by hunger. So basically the triedness can't decrease below the hunger level.
2. Every char can choose how much percent of the day ration he wants to eat. Then to replenish the hunger bar, every char would have to eat e.g. 120% of a day ration.
3. If somebody has more then 50% on the hunger bar, they can eat less (e.g 50 %) to keep the bar constant.

Then it is up to players what strategy will they choose, but they can definitely eat less if they like, keeping in mind that char won't be ableto work if it's very hungry.
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
EchoMan

Re: Tiredness based on hunger

Postby EchoMan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:32 pm

(Split from another suggestion. Posts in the suggestion forum should discuss the current suggestion. New suggestions - new threads)
Abe

Postby Abe » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:12 am

Or simply implement negative hunger levels, with 100% starving to death (as now) and -100% being "fat".
That way there'd be a downside if characters "overeat": if sy stands on -x% hunger then tiredness can't decrease below x*-1. So, e.g. -30% hunger, no tiredness below 30%. Still it would be useful for explorers to become "fat" before entering regions that are likely to have little food, e.g. mountains.
Extreme negative values would be visible to everyone just like now the "appears to be very hungry".
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:44 pm

Yes, I like this idea. However I would make some penalty for fat characters - like eating more, and much more food needed to get fat :)

Adventages:
- Can survive starvation longer
- Dragging would be more difficult
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:20 pm

There would need to be a downside, though. Perhaps reduced travelling speed, a decreased carrying capacity, a slight decrease on their strength.... something along the lines of that.

edit: I overlooked the first part of Rusalka's post. I agree, though.

Advantages to being "Fat":
-- ability to resist starvation longer
-- harder to drag

Disadvantages to being "Fat":
-- can carry less
-- travelling speed reduced
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:58 am

Why a fat person couldn't carry the same amount as slim guys? Fat people are usually even stronger. Disadventage missing here is that they would need to eat more on the day basis. So basically beeing fat will cost more.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:55 am

Not all of them, but yes, you are right; fat people in general can carry a little more.

And how would you decide the level of "fatness" you would want your char to be? Like, suppose you're travelling through mountains and you have a shortage of food. You wouldn't want to be consuming so much food, even with the extended time to starvation advantage. How would you adjust your consumption rate?
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:18 am

Apart from this becoming increasingly complicated and the distinct possibility of having unexpected results (e.g. being raided by a bunch of sumo wrestlers in a van), I'd rather leave the waist size of a char to be determined by the player's rp.
Pretty in pink.
Abe

Postby Abe » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:24 am

I wasn't clear, it seems.
I meant that fat persons (negative hunger %s) would remain tired, just like starving ones as Rusalka proposed. So:
The tiredness of a 10% fat character (i.e. -10% hunger) could not go below 10%. An even fatter, say 40% (i.e. -40% hunger) would always have at least 40% tiredness.
It'd be good to have fat town leaders that cannot work, cannot fight - only giving orders and eat everything the citizens gather/cook! :lol:

I also thought of decreasing carry capacity and travelling speed for fat characters, Snickiedoo (it could be done by adding an invisible (so undroppable) resource to the inventory, perhaps?). But that would defeat the purpose of explorers getting fat, and as Rusalka said - it would be somewhat unrealistic (the carrying capacity, not the travelling speed).

Snickiedoo wrote:And how would you decide the level of "fatness" you would want your char to be? Like, suppose you're travelling through mountains and you have a shortage of food. You wouldn't want to be consuming so much food, even with the extended time to starvation advantage. How would you adjust your consumption rate?

I think explorers would get as fat as they can before entering the mountains. And get as much food as they can, of course. Once in the mountains, they'd eat the normal amount and start losing weight.

How much do you think a 100% fat character should consume compared to a normal (0% hunger) person?
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:44 pm

I don't think it really adds something to the game. Better that programming department to concentrate on things really needed.
There is no rule that says I can't post as much I want. I asked my lawyer.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:47 pm

Arenti wrote:Better that programming department to concentrate on things really needed.

That is really a non-argument, since this forum doesn't prioritize developers work. :)
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:08 pm

Alright let me go back to what I said before that. It won't really add anything except making the game more complicated and annoying.
There is no rule that says I can't post as much I want. I asked my lawyer.
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:35 pm

No it doesn't. Read the original suggestion.

I never post an idea when there is no goal behind it. The goal here is to let people choose amount of food they want to eat every day, and every choice will have it's consequences.

Motivation was to be able to eat let's say 50% of normal diet, and survive longer with limited food supply. It's actually possible now, all you have to do is drop your food every second day. If we add a mechanic that let people choose how much % of day ration they want to eat, nobody will have to drop the food.

Next thing, as an alternative to "hibernation" tread : If somebody choose to eat let's say 20% of daily ration, he could still survive, having 80% hunger, and 80% of triedness all the time. That sounds like a fair penalty to me.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:07 pm

I understood Arenti's comment to be about the whole fattening up business and in this point I agree with him.

Having your food consumption influence your work efficiency is probably a good idea, but if you consider how easy it currently is to get food, eating more food to work better is much more attractive than the opposite case.
Pretty in pink.
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:40 pm

Yes, and I imagine getting weight just as a storage system, nothing more.

I liked you sumo wrestlers comment :D giving people some triedness when they're fat would clear off the effect of higher weight. Anyway. this topic was meant to be about getting skinny...

Return to “Suggestions”