So, how old are you really?

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

So how old are you, really?

under 14
1%
14-16
8%
17-19
14%
20-25
31%
26-35
30%
36-50
12%
over 50
4%

Total votes: 229
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:04 pm

I'll be 16 late april.

Oh, here's another link , by the way, to another "How old are you thread".
This might be the one Surly was referring to. Unfortunately it didn't include a poll, so we can't glean any statistical data from it.

http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3114&start=0

^^^^^
My first post on this board btw... haha wow
Dust14

Postby Dust14 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:30 pm

18 and 19 in may 8)
Those of us who love peace must organize as effectively as the war hawks. As they spread the propaganda of war - we must spread the propaganda of peace.
Dragonslayer4ever

Postby Dragonslayer4ever » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:58 pm

punker14 wrote:18 and 19 in may 8)

Oh cool your gonna have two burthdays this year. I wish I could so I'll be 21 faster :P
I am the Dragon Slayer. And as long as I have my friends behind me. I will never fall.
west

Postby west » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:43 am

Dragonslayer4ever wrote:*rolls eyes* Nick do you live to just try and give me a hard and contridict everything I say now that you have killed my favorite character. And just for your information my IQ is 186 I have it tested yearly each dec. I wouldn't mind my IQ being 300 but its not and I never said I did.

Uh, yeah.

First off, if you get your IQ checked every year I'm interested in where you do it.

Second, Nick, modern IQ tests no longer use that model.

Third, um, the highest estimated IQ (acc'd to Cox (1926) was J. W. v. Goethe, who had an (estimated) 210). Most IQ tests only go up to 175.

Aside from that,

2.3% of the population have an IQ above 130.
.04% of the population have an IQ above 150.
.00003% of the pop. have an IQ above 175.

The odds of having an IQ of 186 is 1:202million

And pardon me for saying so, "Dragonslayer4ever," you ain't that smart.

I don't mean to flex nuts but I'd wager I'm smarter than you and I KNOW my IQ ain't that.

Sorry to burst your bubble, DS4e.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
Nick

Postby Nick » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:08 am

The Surly Cantrian wrote::roll:

If you two want to make petty arguments over IQ, go and do it on another thread with people who actually want to hear your stupid arguments.

This thread is about ages... and petty arguments don't reflect kindly on your age whatever it is.

:evil:

*points to the sign that says "General Discussion Forum"*

@west: Wow, you really researched that "in-your-face" post.

And Dragonslayer4ever, character killing does not need to result in disagreement, I don't harbour any resentment nor see why you would. West here killed, or at least was responsible for the death of my favorite character of all time. I just look at it as him helping write the last chapter in the story of his life. Certainly don't dislike him for it.
west

Postby west » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:40 am

Nick wrote:and Dragonslayer4ever, character killing does not need to result in disagreement, I don't harbour any resentment nor see why you would. West here killed, or at least was responsible for the death of my favorite character of all time. I just look at it as him helping write the last chapter in the story of his life. Certainly don't dislike him for it.

My CHARACTER was partly responsible for the death of Nick's character, aye. I myself had nothing to do with it :wink:

It was a great life, one of the most interesting on the entire island, frankly. Well-played character, added a lot to the history of the island.

But none of you young'ns remember any of your history.
It's nice to have a char that's been on an island since the week it appeared...gives you a much longer view than others, even if you soon find that all your friends are dead and the younger people don't know or care about the past.
Nick

Postby Nick » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:55 am

west wrote:
Nick wrote:and Dragonslayer4ever, character killing does not need to result in disagreement, I don't harbour any resentment nor see why you would. West here killed, or at least was responsible for the death of my favorite character of all time. I just look at it as him helping write the last chapter in the story of his life. Certainly don't dislike him for it.

My CHARACTER was partly responsible for the death of Nick's character, aye. I myself had nothing to do with it :wink:

It was a great life, one of the most interesting on the entire island, frankly. Well-played character, added a lot to the history of the island.

But none of you young'ns remember any of your history.
It's nice to have a char that's been on an island since the week it appeared...gives you a much longer view than others, even if you soon find that all your friends are dead and the younger people don't know or care about the past.

New islanders just go with the flow. ie: People are talking bad about TBR, so they hate it. There are a lot more evil organisations on the island than them, and TBR even started as one of the major factors to give TBR independence. But of course that was mainly due to the fact the Council Karnon placed in KF were restricting Mason and the Tribe from gathering iron (Yeah, it used to be iron. Much easier.).
west

Postby west » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:07 am

there was no Council before independence

there were the governors Austin and HvyThg, (that whole thing was SO dodgy: they were played by the same player and Austin just 'happened' to show up in Karnon just before Rick O'Shea came back from making a treaty with HvyThg on Karnon's behalf, and Ace made a treaty making him co-governor with HvyThg) and the Imperial Defender Rick O'Shea. Austin and HvyThg went with whoever had the most apparent power--they went right along with independence because everyone else was in favor of it, but you could tell HvyThg, given the choice, wouldn't ever have unrestricted iron even if they did declare independence.

Fortunately he wasn't really given the choice.
Nick

Postby Nick » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:07 am

Governors, right. My mistake. It's been a while.
julie2

Postby julie2 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:28 am

SekoETC wrote:I wish there was a poll of what year you were born, that could live longer because even when time goes on and younger people reach the playing age, the year of your birth still stays the same. In age questions you might be voting for a different category just a month away, and because everyone is growing that kind of polls quickly get outdated.

The trouble with that idea is that Cantr has a floating population. People come and go. So that would be very much like calculating the age of the average University student by taking a poll of their dates-of-birth. That would only work at the precise time when you did the poll. A few years later you'd find that the average age had increased dramatically, because you data now includes a lot of ex-students. On the other hand, if you took a poll of their age, any increase over the years would have to be due to increased intake of mature students. Apart from that you'd find that whilst individual students got older, the average age of the University poulation would remain constant.

It might seem counter-intuitive, but if you look at it like that you can see that date-of-birth information would actually get outdated more quickly- unless you went so far as to keep records on each individual member which included not only DOB, but their joining and leaving date.
Or we could ask Jos to compile some stats from the Cantr database of course :)
AoM

Postby AoM » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:02 am

@Nick: Technically you would be right about the intelligence quotient if IQ tests were still conducted by that simple formula. But as West has said, they're not anymore, not at least the up to date ones.

In reality, I believe IQ tests are complete BS anyway. We can't measure intelligence because in truth, psychologists the world over can't agree on a solid definition of what intelligence is/are.

Who's smarter? The guy who can solve complex mathematics in his head? The guy who knows how to climb his way to the top of the social ladder to make millions? The guy who can be sent into the heart of a jungle, days from civilization, and can make it out alive with nothing on him but a toothpick?

There's no one proper way to quantify intelligence, (and in fact, comparing this thing called 'mental age' is a very bad way). So let's not bother "flexing nuts" about it.

peace.
~AoM
julie2

Postby julie2 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:14 pm

By the way, the mode (most "popular" age, in case you're unfamiliar with the term)is somewhere in 17-19 range (nearer 19, I'd guess, given the shape of the curve), and the arithmetic mean (the more familiar average )is approximately 26, going by results so far (57 responses).

Yep, I'm bored. I've got loads of better things to do, in fact, but it Sunday and I can't be bothered with 'em.
Surly

Postby Surly » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:51 pm

Nick wrote:*points to the sign that says "General Discussion Forum"*

*points to the sign that says "So, how old are you really?"*

Go and start a new thread if you want to discuss IQs, because I REALLY DON'T CARE, and don't want to read posts about that in a thread which is potentially interesting.

Get my point?

:evil:
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Peanut

Postby Peanut » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:29 pm

kinvoya

Postby kinvoya » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:36 pm

Why so extra surly, SC? You should be all happy with the new server and all.

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”