Xcom 2

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Xcom 2

Postby Jos Elkink » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:05 pm

Chris wrote:Someone who wants violence will play a game that allows immediate violence whenever it's convenient, and zero violence when they're done with the play session. I have been playing Xcom 2 recently - lots of tension always and violence often - so even turn-based games can do it.

Looks kind of interesting. From just YouTube gameplay videos I'm a bit confused by the overall game design - how much open world is this and how much is pre-defined sequences / missions that you play?
Chris

Re: Xcom 2

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:41 pm

It's not open world.

On the strategy map, you can choose from various options. Some are combat missions, and others are resource pickups. The clock is ticking so you can't do everything. Every now and then a major event happens and triggers a priority mission.

Combat missions take place in rectangular maps that are procedurally generated. Most missions have limited turns to achieve the objective, so you don't have the luxury of exploring every inch of the map. Even missions without timers have enough enemies so that you don't want to stay longer than absolutely necessary.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:00 pm

This game is free this month for PlayStation Plus members who own a PS4. I downloaded it but haven't started. I hear there's a steep learning curve and also it's a big time sink. I've heard people have logged over 200 hours playing/replaying it!
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:38 am

Ah ok. I have a PS4, but I don't think I'm a Plus member.

The fact that it is not so open-ended makes it a less interesting comparison to Cantr, though :-) I might try it out sometime, though.
Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:45 pm

PS4 has several open world MMOs that are free to play.

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”