Usernames

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Usernames

Postby Joshuamonkey » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:39 pm

I like to know how people's usernames came about. Please tell! :) You can talk about other usernames you've had and similar stuff also.

It really is a coincidence that Snickiedoo just talked about her username on a different thread. :P

Joshuamonkey:
Joshua is my first name.
Monkeys are my favorite animal.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
joo

Re: Usernames

Postby joo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:44 pm

I was about 12 when I came up with this name, which was for a forum I was registering on. I didn't want to use my real name, "Joseph", because it would look boring, so I took the first two letters, and made it all lowercase yielding "jo", however this was taken, so I changed it to "joo". Continuing this trend, I have registered "jooo", "joooo" and even "jooooo" in namespaces where the shorter versions are taken. The similarity of my nick to "jew" is a coincidence (I am also not jewish).
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:54 pm

Quoted from another thread, where I was discussing the origins of Snick's name, and I happened to mention my username in the meantime.

Snickiedoo wrote:Basically, "Snick" is the result of many random occurences that caused her original name to be morphed beyond recognisable association (if that makes sense). Originally when we got her, I wanted to name her Malinda because you could pull a lot of nicknames from it (Millie, Mindy, Mandy, Linda, Lindy, etcetera). So she came home, we registered her at the vet as Malinda, and called her Malinda for a short amount of time. Then, somehow, I think I was comparing her sweetness to a snickerdoodle but that theory's unconfirmed, and she came to be known as Snickerdoodle, which morphed into Snickers and Snickerdude. From there, the "er" became replaced with "ie" and she was Snickiedude for a long time; in fact, most of my usernames to anywhere are snickiedude, and when joining the forums I seriously contemplated putting my forum nick as snickiedude, but I decided against it because I'm female, and went with Snickiedoo instead. We've a lot of other names and songs for her now, including Snickie, Snick, Snickiedoo, Snick-to-my-loo, Mahloo (pronounced muh-LŪ), and all "Snick" variants with the s at the beginning removed (Nikki, Nickiedoo, Nicktumahloo, etc).
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:14 pm

My nick is my name. I figured at least one thing about me on this forum should accurately reflect my true self.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Indigo

Postby Indigo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Uhm... Okay. My nick comes from a book series I read when I was young. A princess called Anghara was happy in her kingdom, doing her way all the time, and blah, blah. By doing her way, she opened a chest, which was holding the seven demons of the world, unleashing them. The demons stole everything from her, ripped out her family, friends, her hometown. Then, the Mother Earth talked to her. Told her that she should go around the world, and defeat those demons. That wouldn't save anything she had already lost, but she would be forgiven.
So, this princess nodded, and accepted her fate. Changed her name to Indigo, the colour of the grieve.

And the story began....
Last edited by Indigo on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Someone wrote:Being dark is an intelligent interpretation of the fabricated world, made up from our heads, there to tempt and play with us
Armulus Satchula

Postby Armulus Satchula » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:49 am

I use to RP in chatrooms on AIM. This is the random character name i had made up. In cantr it was also my first character and he spawned in 2003 and died in late 2010...

I also had/have a general hate for a lack creativity when creating username. Generally annoyed by usernames with numbers.
mikki

Postby mikki » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:52 am

My middle name is Michelle. Went by Mikki all through High School.. So yeah.. that's how I have mine. Not all that.. creative.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:05 am

Mine is actually taken from a minor character in a book that reminded me of Cantr. I also like fishing, so it fits in that regard, too.
Pretty in pink.
Misato

Postby Misato » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:35 am

Myself and a group of friends in high school were always into role play, so we decided to make original characters for ourselves with original names that all ended up Japanese. Lol

I don't even remember how we came up with them, but I've been Misato (the shape shifting white wolf) since freshman year in 2004. :lol:
ImageImage
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:28 am

As a kid, people would always go on about how I looked like a mix between a bear and a wolf... later on I grew bigger, got a full beard and all that stuff... so it became a more wide-spread thing - and one drunken day I joked that I was too big to be a wolf yet too wolf-like to be a bear, and a niece of mine disagreed, and pulled up her favorite book (a drawn fairytale book), opening it on the page where a rather dark-looking Big Bad Wolf was making his entrance into the story of Little Red Ridinghood, and she started calling me the 'big bad wolf' in Dutch (thank you, fairytale-people... lol...)
Then, a few years later... I got my first taste of IRC, and happened to be one of the two 'original' Big_Bad_Wolf users on IRC (at least, on the handful of networks that were publically accessible at that time) and shared the name through sort of a gentlemen's agreement with the other person - when I got online on the network we both co-existed on first, he'd use 'little_bad_wolf', if he got on first, then I'd be shafted with having to use that terrible name :lol: ).
Well, time went on, more and more networks popped up, and more and more people and their great-grandmothers started using 'Big_Bad_Wolf' for a nickname, so I took the next step up in nicknames ('Biggest_Baddest_Wolf'), and usually somehow that always gets shortened to 'BBW', 'Biggest Baddest', 'Biggest', or 'Wolf' and somehow I just end up using 'Wolf' where-ever I can... though on the rare occasions that I venture back to IRC, I still can't get away from using 'Biggest_Baddest_Wolf'.
hmmmmm beer.... pizza.... computers.... women... stir-fried furry little critters...
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:00 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_for_Echo

The image of the album cover was named echoman.jpg on the bands website back when it was released in 1996. :)
Abe

Postby Abe » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:18 am

Wolf wrote:As a kid, people would always go on about how I looked like a mix between a bear and a wolf...

Have you ever read "Der Steppenwolf" by Herman Hesse? If not, I recommend it.
Indigo

Postby Indigo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:15 am

Abe wrote:
Wolf wrote:As a kid, people would always go on about how I looked like a mix between a bear and a wolf...

Have you ever read "Der Steppenwolf" by Herman Hesse? If not, I recommend it.

Reading it right now. Catharsis.
Someone wrote:Being dark is an intelligent interpretation of the fabricated world, made up from our heads, there to tempt and play with us
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:35 pm

I think we had a topic like this in the past but Seko was one of my initial two characters, and then I added etc as an afterthought to represent all the other characters, and I wasn't sure if spaces were allowed in usernames, and I don't like underscores so I separated the words through capitalization. Seko means something like a nutcase, since the character was a bit silly and occasionally seeing things.
Not-so-sad panda
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:43 pm

Mine comes from a novel I fell in love with. Joe Quirks' debut novel, named "the Ultimate Rush". A hacking rollerblade courier named Chet goes down the streets of San Francisco with lethal speed, just to earn those extra bucks. One day he gets a pay-raise and a package to deliver within a near-impossible timeframe. When these unusual packages becomes more frequent, Chet wonders what the packages might contain. His screen name was Snake_byte.
My old banner ;)

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”