Exams

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Doug R.

Re: Exams

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:12 pm

Haha.

Doug's condensed presentation (presented in, and meant to be taken in, a light-hearted fashion. I am also not claiming historical accuracy):

Way back in time, when the world was divided into hundreds of micro-kingdoms, there was this group of sheep herders that believed in one god above all others. This was pretty bizarre for the time, and they were pretty well tolerated, but didn't really have a place of their own. After all, they were sheep herders, and they were nomadic. Eventually after wandering around a lot, they started calling themselves Hebrews and founded their own kingdom, probably pissing off a lot of other people in the process. Eventually, powerful rulers emerged out of some of these small micro-kingdoms, and they raised armies to gobble up their neighbors. Thus rose the grand imperial age. The Hebrews were gobbled up with the rest, and were generally picked on a lot by their conquerors. Except, they didn't take being conquered in good humor, because their god said that their land was there's by divine right. So, they caused a lot of problems for their conquerors. Over time they regained and lost their independence, and their conquerors got really mad and tore their big temple down a few times to make a point. After this, the Hebrews lost their national label and instead became labeled by their religious beliefs (i.e. Jew). (Sidebar - the Hebrew National label was resurrected in the 20th century by a hot dog).

Over the next few thousand years, the Jews wandered the world, trying to fit in as best they could in the alien cultures that surrounded them. Sometimes, like in Spain under the Moors, life was really good, but most times, life was s**t (and when the Christians threw out the Moors, they threw out the Jews too - they just can't catch a break). You see, the followers of Jesus of Nazareth came to outnumber the Jews, and they never forgot that it was the Jews that turned Jesus over to be executed. Since persecution and hate was in vogue during these times, the Jews often ranked right up there with witches in the category of fun things to poke with pointed sticks. With life sucking this bad, Jews started trickling into Palestine, their "promised land," over hundreds of years, looking for a better life.

Then the 20th century happened. The British, who were in the business of trying to control as much of the world as possible, gobbled up Palestine. Once again, the Jewish promised land was under the control of a foreign power. Then Hitler and Stalin happened, and Jews started moving to Palestine in droves. With Britain distracted, they were unable to adequately crush the spirits of the large numbers of Jews in Palestine, and in 1948, unwilling to put up with them any longer, they decided to leave them alone, and the British pulled out of Palestine. The Jews then promptly declared their independence, pissing off the Arab world for all eternity.

Because of global sympathies, and because no white people gave a crap about the Arabs yet, their new nation was recognized in the UN, and they've been toughing it out ever since.

You should be able to get 20 slides out of that.

Edited: Added another sidebar
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Doug R. wrote:Haha.

Doug's condensed presentation (presented in, and meant to be taken in, a light-hearted fashion. I am also not claiming historical accuracy):

Way back in time, when the world was divided into hundreds of micro-kingdoms, there was this group of sheep herders that believed in one god above all others. This was pretty bizarre for the time, and they were pretty well tolerated, but didn't really have a place of their own. After all, they were sheep herders, and they were nomadic. Eventually after wandering around a lot, they started calling themselves Hebrews and founded their own kingdom, probably pissing off a lot of other people in the process. Eventually, powerful rulers emerged out of some of these small micro-kingdoms, and they raised armies to gobble up their neighbors. Thus rose the grand imperial age. The Hebrews were gobbled up with the rest, and were generally picked on a lot by their conquerors. Except, they didn't take being conquered in good humor, because their god said that their land was there's by divine right. So, they caused a lot of problems for their conquerors. Over time they regained and lost their independence, and their conquerors got really mad and tore their big temple down a few times to make a point. After this, the Hebrews lost their national label and instead became labeled by their religious beliefs (i.e. Jew). (Sidebar - the Hebrew National label was resurrected in the 20th century by a hot dog).

Over the next few thousand years, the Jews wandered the world, trying to fit in as best they could in the alien cultures that surrounded them. Sometimes, like in Spain under the Moors, life was really good, but most times, life was s**t. You see, the followers of Jesus of Nazareth came to outnumber the Jews, and they never forgot that it was the Jews that turned Jesus over to be executed. Since persecution and hate was in vogue during these times, the Jews often ranked right up there with witches in the category of fun things to poke with pointed sticks. With life sucking this bad, Jews started trickling into Palestine, their "promised land," over hundreds of years, looking for a better life.

Then the 20th century happened. The British, who were in the business of trying to control as much of the world as possible, gobbled up Palestine. Once again, the Jewish promised land was under the control of a foreign power. Then Hitler and Stalin happened, and Jews started moving to Palestine in droves. With Britain distracted, they were unable to adequately crush the spirits of the large numbers of Jews in Palestine, and in 1948, unwilling to put up with them any longer, they decided to leave them alone, and the British pulled out of Palestine. The Jews then promptly declared their independence, pissing off the Arab world for all eternity.

Because of global sympathies, and because no white people gave a crap about the Arabs yet, their new nation was recognized in the UN, and they've been toughing it out ever since.

You should be able to get 20 slides out of that.

That sounds about right, ashully.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Wow, it does.

But, as I failed to specify earlier, the PPT was due at 10:30 EDT....three hours ago.

At least these will make really good speech notes. Thanks, Doug.
gejyspa

Postby gejyspa » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Very nice, Doug. I'll pick a bit of a quibble over your light-hearted presentation:
Doug R. wrote:. After this, the Hebrews lost their national label and instead became labeled by their religious beliefs (i.e. Jew).
Their religious beliefs would label them "Jehovists" or "monotheists". "Jew" comes from Judea, the Roman name for the kingdom of Yehudah ("Judah" in English), itself named after the major tribe that comprised it. So, still a national label, not a religious one.

The rest is pretty much accurate, if snarky.

But still, Snickie, I'm mad at you! :evil: Why didn't you come right to source? I could have answered all your questions, and even tossed in a dreidel or two...

(Incidentally, Shavuot, a two day holiday, starts next Tuesday night... so if you see my characters asleep for 50 hours or more, don't panic... just feed them some cheesecake)..
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:05 pm

gejyspa wrote:Very nice, Doug. I'll pick a bit of a quibble over your light-hearted presentation:
Doug R. wrote:. After this, the Hebrews lost their national label and instead became labeled by their religious beliefs (i.e. Jew).
Their religious beliefs would label them "Jehovists" or "monotheists". "Jew" comes from Judea, the Roman name for the kingdom of Yehudah ("Judah" in English), itself named after the major tribe that comprised it. So, still a national label, not a religious one.

Yes, I admit that I went out on a speculative limb there, so thank you for the clarification. I was stretching for the hot dog joke.
Snickie

Postby Snickie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:11 pm

gejyspa wrote: But still, Snickie, I'm mad at you! :evil: Why didn't you come right to source? I could have answered all your questions, and even tossed in a dreidel or two...

I sent you an email on Tuesday (emails are much easier to cite than posts on gaming forums, and more reliable). I guess you didn't get it. Stupid Yahoo and Gmail.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:43 pm

Oy Vay!
gejyspa

Postby gejyspa » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Snickie wrote:
gejyspa wrote: But still, Snickie, I'm mad at you! :evil: Why didn't you come right to source? I could have answered all your questions, and even tossed in a dreidel or two...

I sent you an email on Tuesday (emails are much easier to cite than posts on gaming forums, and more reliable). I guess you didn't get it. Stupid Yahoo and Gmail.

*scritches head. Frantically checks all folders*
Weird. Not in inbox, not in spam box, not in Trash. I've never seen a fail like that before. Wonder if you screwed up my email address somehow and it got bounced back to you....However, we are now in the realm of offtopicness.
Snickie

Postby Snickie » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:29 am

My AP exam scores came back this week.
World History: 3
Chemistry: 2

Not exactly happy with those, but I am surprised that they gave me credit for the BS'd essays on APWH. I'm going to see if I can retake the AP Chemistry exam next year.
rain21

Postby rain21 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:43 pm

2nd year of law school

I've come to terms with having one exam over a semester's worth of information, but you'd think summer classes would be somewhat easier.

I think it's harder because i'd rather be doing anything else but reading about family law, even if it is intereting. Rather go hiking, swimming, or even stare at ceiling for a few hours.
Be Sorry 4 Nothing
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:08 pm

It has been a while since i graduated but recently i am having lessons so every week i am preparing some records or notes.I have to admit that they are often making me crazy :x
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
joo

Postby joo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:03 am

Snickie wrote:World History: 3
Chemistry: 2

How does the scoring system work?
Torkess_theCommie

Postby Torkess_theCommie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:23 am

I am finally finished with summer school....

kbai.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:47 am

AP scoring - highest you can get is a 5, and a 3 is considered a "pass" (as in most universities will give you college credit for a 3 on an AP exam, though just how much credit varies from university to university.)
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:09 am

Torkess_theCommie wrote:I am finally finished with summer school....

kbai.

Holy crap, it's Tork!

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”