BP Oil Spill

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

redRob

BP Oil Spill

Postby redRob » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:54 pm

As one of the worst growing environmental disasters continues to foul the Gulf of Mexico and now shorelines of American states, is anybody else as mindboggled as I am? The slow response rate, the many many shortcuts in safety and testing that were taken by BP oil which caused it, the use of dispersant chemicals which are at least twice as toxic as the oil itself....It's absolutely insane. Despite all the estimates in damage and the impact on the environment, no one really knows what's going to happen from all this....

A few points to ponder:

Nalco, the ONLY company making and supplying "Corexit 9500', the toxic dispersant agent used to disperse and break down the oil, has several longstanding ties to the oil industry, INCLUDING BP OIL!! So a subsidiary of big oil is the company supplying a toxic dispersant agent to these big oil companies and making a killing on this disaster. Furthermore this chemical has ~never~ been used this way, in the water at the source of the oil spill. It's deadly to sea life, and in strong enough doses very harmful to humans (think liver and kidney damage, harmful to the respiratory system and our best friend CANCER!) The hazard sheet concerning this stuff even states that you "should not contaminate surface water with this product". Of course, BP says it's the best thing they have to deal with the spill, while other scientists seem to differ on alternate products but most agree their IS safer alternatives. They've used over 500,000 gallons of this crap to date, and plan to continue using it even though the environmental protection agency has demanded they stop.....Basically the effects of this chemical are NOT known, it's never been used in water and the company supplying it has deep ties to big oil....

BP continues to try and minimize the potential threats and throw out incredibly low ball numbers, Tony Hayward, CEO of BP is a useless twat and is in way over his head. It's been proven that this company took so many shortcuts around safety protocols and testing that a disaster like this was only a matter of time....Surviving rig workers are coming forward now and there are enough recorded communications to verify their stories that things like this were going on.....

To date, over 46,000,000, yes 46 million gallons of oil have polluted the waters in the Gulf of Mexico.....The most recent attempt by BP, over a month and a half later, is only succeeding in stopping 10% of the flow....Now, instead of almost 800,000 gallons a day gushing from the well, there's only 680,000 or so....Way to go, BP, looks like you've really fixed the problem! Now, the company is going to drill a "relief well" where they'll drill down next to the well in an attempt to hit a seven inch in diameter pipe, from the surface, and fill it with drilling mud to cement it closed. BP states this solution will only take a month and a half. No other company has ever done something like this in that amount of time, and those companies didn't have to drill that deep. Many critics think it will take several months, and many, many attempts. There's at least 10 million barrels of oil in the oil reserve tank which, at current rates, wouldn't stop for three years! So, no real end in sight, and there's already tar washing up on the shores of Louisiana and Florida, and more reports are coming in every day.

What does everyone think? Blame BP for the shortcuts they took? Blame the federal government for such a shitty response? Blame ourselves, the consumers, for our capitalist lifestyles and reliance on all the convenience products Oil gives us, not to mention the obvious use in our cars, our unnecessarily large cars?
CrashBlizz

Re: BP Oil Spill

Postby CrashBlizz » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:59 pm

What do you expect in a society like in which we live? Everything is about the fastest, cheapest way to get instant results. Result = things go wrong

Meh, life goes on.
redRob

Postby redRob » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:10 pm

This has definitely been coming for a long time, you're right there, as for "life goes on", some are saying this could take over a decade to clean up....Recent reports are estimating that the oil could and is likely beginning to sweep north up along the coast, basically hitting every American shore all the way up to Canada before heading east out into the ocean...

So, this will definitely not be something that's dealt with and forgotten any time soon....the marine life and ecology will be absolutely devastated for years to come, and the cost will be utterly incredible...
Misato

Postby Misato » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:21 pm

Life goes on....yeah, for how long? I've always said that human stupidity will be the death of us all. It's exactly shit like this that proves my point. This is the only post I'll be making in this thread, as I really don't want to start ranting.
ImageImage
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:31 pm

And the worst part is that you can't do anything against it. People are ruining the world and causing the world to end sooner and we can't do anything.
There is no rule that says I can't post as much I want. I asked my lawyer.
joo

Postby joo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:31 pm

:roll:
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:34 pm

joo wrote::roll:

Is that for me? I just can't do anything against it because I'm to addicted to Cantr to get up and do something. :mrgreen:
There is no rule that says I can't post as much I want. I asked my lawyer.
Surly

Postby Surly » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:35 pm

Misato wrote:Life goes on....yeah, for how long? I've always said that human stupidity will be the death of us all. It's exactly shit like this that proves my point. This is the only post I'll be making in this thread, as I really don't want to start ranting.
Life does go on. The earth will live on after we've extinguished ourselves - it's the same with global warming. Humans are one of the species likely to die out as the planet warms, there'll be plenty of other life that thrives.
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
joo

Postby joo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Arenti wrote:

Is that for me?

No.
returner

Postby returner » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:05 pm

joo wrote:
Arenti wrote:

Is that for me?

No.

Who was it intended for? OP?
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
YugoStrikesBack

Postby YugoStrikesBack » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:24 pm

America was taken over by an administration that failed to effectively hold anyone accountable during the Bush years. Obama is now beginning to demand more accountability from industry and its regulators in a wide variety of sectors, but this is going to take time, and he isn't doing enough.

As Winston Churchill once said, you can always demand on Americans to do the right thing, after they've exhausted every other possible option. This will hold true soon enough.
I did it cuz I hate you.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:37 pm

T.A.F.K.A. Surly wrote:
Misato wrote:Life goes on....yeah, for how long? I've always said that human stupidity will be the death of us all. It's exactly shit like this that proves my point. This is the only post I'll be making in this thread, as I really don't want to start ranting.
Life does go on. The earth will live on after we've extinguished ourselves - it's the same with global warming. Humans are one of the species likely to die out as the planet warms, there'll be plenty of other life that thrives.

That's pretty unlikely. Humans are one of the most adaptable species and it will take more than a little global warming to let us go extinct. Humans will survive, but life might not be as comfortable as it is now.
Pretty in pink.
randognsac

Postby randognsac » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:39 pm

Bleep!
returner

Postby returner » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:23 pm

T.A.F.K.A. Surly wrote:

As I always say, world peace is not impossible, it's inevitable.. :lol: :lol:
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
Ryaga

Postby Ryaga » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:47 pm

We couldn't kill all of us.

I don't think we now have the capacity to kill each other completely anymore. A few hundred thousand could survive a nuclear war, and no it would probably be nothing like Fallout because we really underestimate plant and animal life's capacity to adapt.

If it came down to it and we knew for sure bad stuff was going down with global warning to the point where it posed an immediate and imminent threat (solid evidence that changes would take place within the current generation's life time; which we don't yet have.) I am absolutely sure we could muster up some type of adaptation to it. If it came down to it I think give us 50 years and we could make a viable push to space. We already know how to grow food and completely recycle water. I say 50 years because the growing food part is still in it's infancy (soil-less plant growing) and our current technologies accommodate a small crew, and are not made for extended stays of large populations. Perhaps a more viable method though, is underground. And we don't really need ALL that many people to restore our population.

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”