The Talented Mr Ripley

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

oddedd

The Talented Mr Ripley

Postby oddedd » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:54 pm

I dont know if any of you have seen that film, but i wounder if there has ever been a "Talented Mr Ripley" Amongst the Cantr world? I am quite new so it would be interesting to hear such stories.
Thomas Pickert
Programmer Emeritus

Postby Thomas Pickert » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:46 pm

If there was a talented Mr. Ripley, it is likely that no one knows about him. I know of some less talented Mr. Ripley's that my characters have met. It's an intriguing strategy, but, as a fellow player recently stated in a mail conversation, there are too many too smart players in Cantr, to have an easy life as an imposter.
The Mr. Ripley's who my characters have met, all have now gained the ability to carry their heads in robust suitcases. ;-)
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:20 pm

What about James Whitmore, Thomas?
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:21 pm

Plus the best imposters are the ones that nobody ever hears or knows about. :wink:
Thomas Pickert
Programmer Emeritus

Postby Thomas Pickert » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:35 pm

I don't consider James a Mr. Ripley, as he does not act as an imposter, posing as if he was someone else, who actually existed.

Plus I did not want to mention his name. My characters dealing with him, and I as their player, try to mention as few details as possible about stealth characters. ;)
XBL

Postby XBL » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:26 pm

Who is this mister Ripley? I've never seen that movie...

Jochem
Thomas Pickert
Programmer Emeritus

Postby Thomas Pickert » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:47 pm

It's also a book. I think, there are even several books about Mr. Ripley. The movie deals with a guy, who is very talented in the discpline of imitating other people.
One day, he more or less accidentally kills another (rich) guy, who he used to hang out with.
He takes over his life, imitating him in various respects.
oddedd

Ahh but..

Postby oddedd » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:41 pm

Ahh yes I understand the best imposter is one nobody hears about, however I was asking if there were any mr ripley's, Mr Ripley was found out, and I thought it would be an amusing story of somebody that lets say killed a king or leader of a certain city and posed as him, ruling the area he used to! :!:

However I also see your point about there being to many intelects in Cantr for that to happen. I have noticed this already, and am very pleased as all the other net games I have played in the past are plyaed by dim wits or 12 year olds, and here it seems I am one of the youngest amongst you!
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:50 pm

However I also see your point about there being to many intelects in Cantr for that to happen. I have noticed this already, and am very pleased as all the other net games I have played in the past are plyaed by dim wits or 12 year olds, and here it seems I am one of the youngest amongst you!

Thats because they usually get kicked out for cheating.:roll:

Anyways, you will notice that the ages of players in Cantr range from around 17 to I think 30. There are some that are under and some that are over but I think that is about age range.
swymir

Postby swymir » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:11 pm

I'm 16 but that is almost in your range. The reason you don't see many 12 year old sis because they are only interested in killing people and cursing, they don't want to do something that actually requires some thought or reading.
oddedd

Postby oddedd » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:36 pm

Yes I see your point about 12 year olds, but most 16 year olds are like that too (I am also 16 btw!)! I also like this game because I hate the first question of many games that is "asl?" I mean I play the games to escape from reality I dont care about who you are or where you live, if I did I'd be in a chat room! And also Cantr is challenging and requires maturity, to be short this game is everything Ive wanted from a game since I started looking, and before have never stuck with a game for longer then a month or so, but I hope I have finally found a game to enjoy for many a year to come!
thingnumber2

Postby thingnumber2 » Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:28 am

I'm 15, and I've been playing since I was 14...so it's not alll old people (no offense) I'm glad there aren't too many younger kids on this game....I like the fact that it's all player controlled though, and there is no way to win, no way to get more leveled and totally wipe you out, everyone is equally the same...and I like the rping how it's not as over the top as normal games like this....
XBL

Postby XBL » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:33 pm

I'm 15 too, lol. And I have 3 friends playing, they are all 15 too.

I'll turn 16 22-10, btw, just like one of my friends (also on 22th of october), and the other 12th of october. So I think you should change that range to 16 ;), or we are the youngest...

Jochem

Return to “General Discussion”