Skillweight?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Raul

Skillweight?

Postby Raul » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:07 pm

I really don't understand how Skillweight influences the fight between Cantrians.
My doubt arises in the following situation: Between a fight with two Cantrians, both with the combat skill in Experienced, but one uses a Beast and the other a Claymore, Cantrian with the Beast has less chance of hitting the attack than Cantrian with to Claymore? Since Claymore has a much smaller Skillweight, does that mean it's easier for him to hit the offense?

Or does Cantrian with the crossbow have the same chances of hitting the attack as the Cantrian with the Claymore, because the difficulty with the weapon has been fully rewarded by skill?

Or does Skillweight only influence the damage the weapon will deal?
Addicted

Re: Skillweight?

Postby Addicted » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:39 am

(Short answer: Skillweight impacts the damage only not the likelihood of missing)

From the Wiki:

Fighting
This skill increases every time you attack another character. The size of the increase is directly proportional to the amount of force you use, the skill weight of the weapon, and your tiredness.

When you attack another person, your power is affected by your health, your level of tiredness, your fighting skill, and your physical strength.

Weapons
In Cantr, effectiveness of a weapon is not only decided by the character's health and tiredness but skill and strength and which of these the weapon benefits more from, such as bows usually require high skill to reach their full potential and bladed weapons usually require high strength. Still, there is more randomness to how effective a weapon will be that is added to this which falls into a range, this usually stays within the average of the character, but in an extremely rare chance, it can cause damage far beyond, or below, what is normal for the character. It is reasonable to expect the same behavior from shields when protecting yourself from damage.

My understanding is that a stronger Cantarian will do more damage with a claymore than a crossbow and a skilled one will do more damage with a crossbow than a claymore. So if the two in your example are both highly skilled the damage will also be dependant on the strength (Health, tiredness, shield type of the opponent etc being the same) of that Cantarian and the strength of the opponent. The stronger one will be better off, regardless of the weapon as they will both do well with the crossbow (high skill) and the stronger one will do better than the other with the claymore.

My understanding is that the effectiveness is random - but in a consistent way. Whether you miss or not and the extent of the damage is luck. But statistically, the better fighter (whether by skill, strength, weapon choice, shield etc) will do more damage on average. I have seen some classic examples where a strong, skilled fighter will do far more damage than another weaker, poorer fighter with the same weapon against the same opponent. I have also seen luck play out where shields are penetrated several times in a row or a good fighter miss three times in a row.

I hope this answers your question (and I hope it's correct and wait for staff to reply)
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?
Raul

Postby Raul » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:24 pm

So, would a skilled and very strong character do more damage using a Claymore than using a crossbow?

That's because the maximum capacity of a crossbow depends only on skill, and the maximum capacity of melee weapons depends on skill and strength.

But on the other hand, would he tire faster in battle using a Claymore than using a crossbow?
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:02 am

Raul wrote:So, would a skilled and very strong character do more damage using a Claymore than using a crossbow?

No. For a character of similar strength and skill, I always have trouble deciding which type of weapon. I'd go by weapon attack number. The claymore has an attack number of 39 and the crossbow 42. For a weak and unskilled char, get a really good shield and don't pick fights?

Fighting Skill:
expertly
skillfully
efficiently
novicely
awkwardly

Strength:
Much stronger than average
stronger than average
average
weaker than average
much weaker than average

You could pair the five categories in each for skillweight purposes. But it's actually a sliding scale and although you may be 'efficient' at fighting, (you can see by your other skills as they are order) you may be nearly at the expert band or just past the novice. As you train, your skill will improve.

Raul wrote:But on the other hand, would he tire faster in battle using a Claymore than using a crossbow?

No, the tiredness is directly related to the % effort you use in the strike. Even if you miss, you get tired. A wooden spoon will also tire you to 15% at 100% effort in the strike. Tiredness is also impacted by dragging (15%) and vomiting (30%?).
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?
Wasindear
GAB Member/ProgD Chair/GM Member

Postby Wasindear » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:56 am

Addicted's explanation is accurate.

If you have a character with equal fighting skill and strength then the weapons skill weight will not make a difference. It is only in the case as uneven skill/strength that you'll see a difference.

It should be noted that that if you use a wooden spoon (for example) to train with, which has a skillweight of 30% then you will gain strength 'exp' faster than fighting 'exp', since all skill gain is mapped to how much you are using it.
Wasindear
GAB Member/ProgD Chair/GM Member

Postby Wasindear » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:57 am

Vomiting is 50% I believe, but that is from IG experience not from examining the backend so cannot say for certain :P

EDIT: Checked the code, Vomiting ups tiredness by 50 percentage points and reduces drunkness by 40 percentage points.

Return to “General Discussion”