Genesis - Get Your Retro On!

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

PaintedbyRoses

Genesis - Get Your Retro On!

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:17 am

If there is already a thread devoted to Genesis, I can't find it but it is getting so active I feel like it needs one. Someone please post a description of Genesis, it's official Do's and Don'ts and how to make a character there.

Here are some points about Genesis that I'd like to direct to the staff:

Genesis is getting very popular and populated. IMO it needs a few changes to keep it from exploding or imploding or otherwise becoming a nightmare.

1) More towns need to be made accessible by allowing passage on the paths that connect them to the three currently available towns. Genesis is getting overpopulated, especially the central spawning point of Sheeptown.

2) Spawning must be equally distributed among all the towns (or in proportion to the number of active residents). Having the vast majority of newspawns appear in Sheeptown creates a burden that the other two towns don't have to deal with. This is causing problems in the power balance between the towns and the sharing of resources which is becoming worse with the language concentration in one particular town (see #3)

3) Newspawns should also be evenly dispersed in the three towns by language rather than by sending all the speakers of one language to the same town (Arkona).

A few new characters are occasionally spawned in the forest town, Arkona. About 1 every 2-3 days. All of them speak Polish and the town leaders speak Polish. This is creating a Polish-speaking power block in the forest. The Polish-speaking newspawns never leave the forest and simply work as a silent unpaid workforce, most without individual identities or even names. Non-Polish-speaking visitors are shut out of almost all interactions.

In contrast, Sheeptown continues to be bombarded with a dozen or more newspawns per day. Many of them speak various foreign languages and many who create chaos in the town by starting projects which block the use of machinery, taking up harvesting space without producing resources or by grabbing large quantities of food or other valuables and then falling asleep. The other residents of Sheeptown are exhausted from dealing with them. Sometimes they are simply ignored which is not the nurturing environment intended for newspawns.

Because of the constant chaos and and the time and effort needed to shepherd the newspawns, Sheeptown has a hard time coordinating any work to benefit the town. Not to mention that there are, typically 30-50 slowly starving characters outside on any given day.

Please take these observations and suggestions into consideration.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Re: Genesis - Get Your Retro On!

Postby Joshuamonkey » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:17 pm

Thank you for the detailed analysis. :)
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:10 pm

I have a couple small questions about Genesis. First, I think this was confirmed already but I wanted to make sure because I forget, can I spawn a Genesis character even if I have a full 15 in the normal Cantr? Secondly, how does this new character present as far as my user list interface, is this another server I need to click on and remember to check, or is the Genesis character just going to be listed underneath my other Cantr characters and easily navigate between the two? Or is Genesis another site entirely or what? No one has really mentioned this and I'm not very tech savvy about what servers even are or what it looks like when a game splits into new servers, so some kind of visualization of what I can expect would be nice. And lastly, is it still chaos with too many people spawning in there? Because I don't want to spawn a character there if it's already strained but I haven't seen any posts about population issues since 2020 so I'm wondering if that's solved, that was the main reason I've never entertained or attempted creating a Genesis character.
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:46 pm

Thank you for your interest! :)

miirkaelisaar wrote:I have a couple small questions about Genesis. First, I think this was confirmed already but I wanted to make sure because I forget, can I spawn a Genesis character even if I have a full 15 in the normal Cantr?

Your Genesis character does not count toward the 15 max in normal Cantr, so you can have 15 "main" Cantr chars PLUS 1 Genesis char

miirkaelisaar wrote:Secondly, how does this new character present as far as my user list interface, is this another server I need to click on and remember to check, or is the Genesis character just going to be listed underneath my other Cantr characters and easily navigate between the two? Or is Genesis another site entirely or what? No one has really mentioned this and I'm not very tech savvy about what servers even are or what it looks like when a game splits into new servers, so some kind of visualization of what I can expect would be nice.

Your Genesis char will be in the same list as your usual characters, always all the way at the bottom. Load times for getting into the char might be slightly slower than you're used to but otherwise everything will work just like a normal character.

miirkaelisaar wrote:And lastly, is it still chaos with too many people spawning in there? Because I don't want to spawn a character there if it's already strained but I haven't seen any posts about population issues since 2020 so I'm wondering if that's solved, that was the main reason I've never entertained or attempted creating a Genesis character.

Since PaintedbyRoses's post, we have opened up more towns which has improved things in that regard, your character wouldn't add any strain there, I don't think.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?

Return to “General Discussion”