LANDMARKS: destroying them and the details

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Rocket Frog

Re: LANDMARKS: destroying them and the details

Postby Rocket Frog » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:09 pm

Addicted wrote:I gather my objections are moot so:

*Make it hard to do (tools required) and take a good while (not logical as it should be easier to knock down then build but I want it to be more effort to knock down then build). This way the town people have a way to stop or notice the effort if they are indoors when it starts etc. We all have busy times in our lives and I would hate to go hiking and log on after two days to find some torn down.
*You only get a small portion of the resource back and it varies % 5-25.
*Or if you do get 75% back, then it's like picking a lock and may not work first or second time. (60-85% recovery) (but I prefer the other option)
* I'd rather they deteriorate slowly with time (120 year to dust?) and require repair to keep up.
*If you implement destruction and deterioration, repair should make it even harder to destroy.

All those are really interesting points and believe me that I'm taking notes about them. Thanks for it <3.

Tiamo wrote:Maybe make destruction possible only when a landmark reaches a certain degree of decay?

There should also be a repair option, of course.

Could be too. For now we don't have decay. I'm working on it, among many other projects I'm on right now.

Just have my word: landmarks are gonna stay as they were before till we all agree on a way for them to be able of being removed. Will it be cause deterioration, damage, or active removal? I don't know. We all will see.

Alladinsane wrote:If we are going to "renew" somethings, could we just reset the whole game?

1. We can make all new history and certain pioneers will have a lasting (and destructible) history.
2. The same "trial and possible error" system will not have people second guessing staff mistakes and miscues of the past
3. the legend of "jos" (still seen as a 'god' in some places, would still exist as we list the RL history of the games creation. Soon we will have a "cult of the God, Joshua"

The attempts to deify current staff members might present new rp opportunities along with the movements to change monetary and exchange systems that are being proposed. Its amazing what people can accomplish when nobody wants to take the credit. The original Cantr II has a legacy; destroy it and amount to nothing. Preserve it and make internet history.

There's no need to reset the whole game if we add the right mechanics for it to slowly "reset" itself, in the way of making things that are not maintained to decay slowly over time and disappear. A world that returns slowly to its pristine state doesn't need resetting, and honestly just as all of you I'd be really sad to see all that history disappear.

miirkaelisaar wrote:
Rocket Frog wrote:About your characters, that's a personal choice you do. You can always stop doing that at anytime. You don't have to keep going with what others left behind. Maybe there's something there you should start questioning yourself about related to the reasons of why are you doing this, or if things should change.

I respectfully disagree. We are supposed to play a character as that character and not with OOC motivations, my character letting someone's horse starve because I know OOC through another character that they died and aren't coming back is skating the line of CRB, my character letting someone's pet die because I the player don't really care, is OOC. I know it's common for other players to just suddenly change their already established character because they want to just have a brand new one and instead of killing that one and making a new one, they just make the existing one a new person in one second (for example someone's wife of 50 years one day wordlessly robs him so the player can go start afresh with that character), but to me that is 100% cheating, so no, I actually can't do things like that. I take the theme and set rules of this game seriously, especially after some events I've experienced when I did not take OOC interference seriously and was punished for it, so it feels very unfair for you to tell me to just do what I want OOC when I was almost banned for such before and I worked so hard on myself andmy gameplay to assimilate appropriately and follow the rules at all times. If I made a character who is kind and values life, I literally cannot just make them evil and uncaring to suit my own needs, that's OOC reasoning and not right, so because I adhere to the way the game is meant to be played, and others don't, I do suffer more, and your advice is to just stop caring and not play the game right and just change my characters whenever it suits me? Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me, it sounds like you're telling me to ignore all my characters' personalities and motivations and not play the game at all.

No, I'm not telling you that. But things change, Miirk. People change. The world itself changes. Slowly, through events, we all change. And this is precisely about change. Both accepting the world around moves and changes, dies and gets renewed, and also allowing it to change instead if trying to prevent it.

Also, the answer for this and any other changes is always on the community. If some place happens to be interesting, if people find it appealing to play at it, to interact, to rp, if some area grows or simply manages to stay with a healthy and interactive population, any change can turn into a new opportunity. Everything can be a new chance for rp.

----

As a final note, you say you don't introduce any OOC stuff at the game. I respect that; personally I do sometimes. When? Well, I have a few chars not too nice that more often than not I find myself slowing them down, trying not to be too nasty, thinking on what the player on the other side might be feeling and making my chars chill a bit.
Once, for example, one of this chars had a total and perfect reason for going somewhere and "cleaning" some place. Everything fitted. The rp was going that way. Then... I stopped. I personally don't feel like ending someone else's character just that way. A whole background, a history, a world of interactions, emotions, sensations. Am I really going to put an end to that? My answer: no, sorry. I can't. And that's how I came out with a simple turnaround for that and forgot that place. Call it OOC if you want; I can't simply kill someone else's character, even if my char would.

Anyway, I'm not telling you to do OOC. You have to find your own answer there, but if you feel it like a heavy weight... Well. I can't say anything, but for me that's an alarm bell.

----

Returning to the path, instead of focusing ourselves into this details that are not productive, I think we should try to find the best way possible.
Again: landmarks are gonna stay till we find a way for them to make them able to go, I'd say.
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:20 pm

So... After a long time we have a new (undetailed) suggestion.

Instead of making landmarks destroyable, we could leave them as indestructible, but change them to unfixed objects (that means: not fixed to the ground). They could be tremendously heavy, so far requiring several characters cooperating for dragging them.

Also they would deteriorate with time, requiring some maintenance once in a while.
Fasolka

Postby Fasolka » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:34 pm

it's a wonderful idea - the ancient stuff could be finally be (literally) toppled
and those who want to bring the ancient stuff back (historians? inheritors?) could put them back in

I don't see any points in having landmarks from e.g. day 1000 when noone to defend them is around

Return to “General Discussion”