NEW RESOURCES AROUND THE CORNER!! Cocoa and Seashells

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

alecto

Re: NEW RESOURCES AROUND THE CORNER!! Cocoa and Seashells

Postby alecto » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:43 am

Good idea to have a fancy weapon, but how about instead of a new hilt type we get an option to have a 'decorated' long sword in kinda the same way we have 'decorated' bracers?

I'm thinking the recipe could be one long sword + 50 grams of diamonds OR emeralds OR rubies OR pearls OR silver OR seashells etc. etc. with the result always being "a brand new decorated long sword" regardless of the ingredient choice. Then you can add the details to the custom desc like you do with the hilt type.
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:16 pm

alecto wrote:Good idea to have a fancy weapon, but how about instead of a new hilt type we get an option to have a 'decorated' long sword in kinda the same way we have 'decorated' bracers?

I'm thinking the recipe could be one long sword + 50 grams of diamonds OR emeralds OR rubies OR pearls OR silver OR seashells etc. etc. with the result always being "a brand new decorated long sword" regardless of the ingredient choice. Then you can add the details to the custom desc like you do with the hilt type.

Problem with this is that there's no way to prevent misuse there, as the item doesn't "remember" what the sword was made with. So you could use the way cheaper seashells to make an emerald-decorated sword, for example.

I've definitely been playing with thoughts about a system around this, so while I don't think we will be implementing your idea in this way, do rest assured we're not throwing it out either :)
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:44 pm

Bmot wrote:
alecto wrote:Good idea to have a fancy weapon, but how about instead of a new hilt type we get an option to have a 'decorated' long sword in kinda the same way we have 'decorated' bracers?

Problem with this is that there's no way to prevent misuse there, as the item doesn't "remember" what the sword was made with. So you could use the way cheaper seashells to make an emerald-decorated sword, for example.

I've definitely been playing with thoughts about a system around this, so while I don't think we will be implementing your idea in this way, do rest assured we're not throwing it out either :)

That's what I was thinking too, because we are supposed to still limit our custom descriptions to materials we reasonable could have added to an item, and if not then anyone can make anything anything, so what if, just like we have "diamond-encrusted steel sabre", we introduce several more of the same, made with individual materials in a likewise recipe as we do with the diamond-encrusted steel sabre. For example, ruby-encrusted or emerald-encrusted steel sabre, gold hilted, silver hilted, seashell-decorated, etc. Though, if seashells are going to be common, like say leather or bone, then that doesn't really need its own item, those with rare additions would, but something so commonplace we can all assume anyone can pick up and add it to their weapon easily, so that could be just included in a custom desctiption, but when it comes to rares that's more dicey because it partly eliminates the whole point of needing to go gather a rare item.
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:03 pm

miirkaelisaar wrote:
Bmot wrote:

That's what I was thinking too, because we are supposed to still limit our custom descriptions to materials we reasonable could have added to an item, and if not then anyone can make anything anything, so what if, just like we have "diamond-encrusted steel sabre", we introduce several more of the same, made with individual materials in a likewise recipe as we do with the diamond-encrusted steel sabre. For example, ruby-encrusted or emerald-encrusted steel sabre, gold hilted, silver hilted, seashell-decorated, etc. Though, if seashells are going to be common, like say leather or bone, then that doesn't really need its own item, those with rare additions would, but something so commonplace we can all assume anyone can pick up and add it to their weapon easily, so that could be just included in a custom desctiption, but when it comes to rares that's more dicey because it partly eliminates the whole point of needing to go gather a rare item.

We prefer not to do things this way because that means we'll end up with a build menu with tens of thousands of options :mrgreen:
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:27 pm

miirkaelisaar wrote:
Bmot wrote:

I came back home late last night and I read all your suggestions (I read all the posts honestly) and I loved it.
About items, we can't say but we're thinking on a way around for allowing some stuff to be visible when crafting an item. It's just an idea, and we still have to discuss it with ProgD, but it could be maybe that hilts and stuff would be visible for future items, just as Bmot said.
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:13 am

Bmot wrote:We prefer not to do things this way because that means we'll end up with a build menu with tens of thousands of options :mrgreen:

Tens of thousands sounds bad but IMO tens of hundreds is acceptible. 8) Like all the various books and jewelry.
witia1

Postby witia1 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:46 am

If it is feasible then it would be lovely to get such crafting upgrade for clothing/jewelry. Like dynamic naming of items that depends on ingredients.
I would see it mostly as replacing "static" materials with more like tag system. Instead of specific ingredient it would show "metal"/"gems"/"cloth".
Rest In Pieces.
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:29 am

gudgeon wrote:
Bmot wrote:We prefer not to do things this way because that means we'll end up with a build menu with tens of thousands of options :mrgreen:

Tens of thousands sounds bad but IMO tens of hundreds is acceptible. 8) Like all the various books and jewelry.

We... Shouldn't give too many details. I think what witia said is kind of close to what we are juggling with, and it's just a concept by now. For now ProgD is working really hard on other things and bugs, but a simplified and more flexible system for crafting would be really nice. It would allow us to even show details as Miirkaelisaar said. Would be really great.
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:32 am

That's great. I can't wait to raise a Planepacked statue. :mrgreen:
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:18 pm

Oh also about the cocoa, I think we should make mocha a recipe too, coffee doesn't have much purpose aside from RP since the energizing is moot, maybe a few coffee recipes could be a thing. I really appreciate the variation recipes we do have, especially my cooking characters who get bored after they've made everything they can, I know we can also RP adding things (example having a wooden mug with tea, milk, peppermint and sugar inside to simulate a peppermint milk tea), but new and variant recipes give my characters more to do and avoid the monotony. Coffee+chocolate= cafe mocha, and then we have peppermint, so we could have peppermint mocha as a fancy version. As a coffee lover I'm a little disappointed with coffee and its lack of popularity in game :P I won't even suggest blueberry or raspberry mocha, even though that is my jam, because I know that would be hard XD but I could come up with so many used for chocolate, coffee, and other in game foods that I feel aren't used to their full potential, and I won't inundate you with all of them lmao, but if you make just cafe mocha a thing, I'll be so stoked, I'll add peppermint or raspberry syrup to it myself, I just want the mocha <3
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:28 pm

miirkaelisaar wrote:Oh also about the cocoa, I think we should make mocha a recipe too, coffee doesn't have much purpose aside from RP since the energizing is moot, maybe a few coffee recipes could be a thing. I really appreciate the variation recipes we do have, especially my cooking characters who get bored after they've made everything they can, I know we can also RP adding things (example having a wooden mug with tea, milk, peppermint and sugar inside to simulate a peppermint milk tea), but new and variant recipes give my characters more to do and avoid the monotony. Coffee+chocolate= cafe mocha, and then we have peppermint, so we could have peppermint mocha as a fancy version. As a coffee lover I'm a little disappointed with coffee and its lack of popularity in game :P I won't even suggest blueberry or raspberry mocha, even though that is my jam, because I know that would be hard XD but I could come up with so many used for chocolate, coffee, and other in game foods that I feel aren't used to their full potential, and I won't inundate you with all of them lmao, but if you make just cafe mocha a thing, I'll be so stoked, I'll add peppermint or raspberry syrup to it myself, I just want the mocha <3

You're making me think of a coffee machine actually, with all the options for different types of coffee and cocoa.
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:33 pm

Rocket Frog wrote:
miirkaelisaar wrote:Oh also about the cocoa, I think we should make mocha a recipe too, coffee doesn't have much purpose aside from RP since the energizing is moot, maybe a few coffee recipes could be a thing. I really appreciate the variation recipes we do have, especially my cooking characters who get bored after they've made everything they can, I know we can also RP adding things (example having a wooden mug with tea, milk, peppermint and sugar inside to simulate a peppermint milk tea), but new and variant recipes give my characters more to do and avoid the monotony. Coffee+chocolate= cafe mocha, and then we have peppermint, so we could have peppermint mocha as a fancy version. As a coffee lover I'm a little disappointed with coffee and its lack of popularity in game :P I won't even suggest blueberry or raspberry mocha, even though that is my jam, because I know that would be hard XD but I could come up with so many used for chocolate, coffee, and other in game foods that I feel aren't used to their full potential, and I won't inundate you with all of them lmao, but if you make just cafe mocha a thing, I'll be so stoked, I'll add peppermint or raspberry syrup to it myself, I just want the mocha <3

You're making me think of a coffee machine actually, with all the options for different types of coffee and cocoa.

:mrgreen: With a circuitboard, and besides the ingredients it'll take one coin to serve you your drink as well?
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:51 pm

I had a further thought on re-energizing; it was not discussed in my days. what if it were time lapsed? One cup of coffee at noon might keep me up all night, though changes to the way healing food works might bring wholesale changes to the combat system... you can find proposals to that, all over this forum dating back 10+ yrs and it may be too much for progd to even attempt. I know they can start it; but...

It might affect the massacres of the past and make them unrepeatable? Since the recharge was historically instant, this may be moot.

Thank you to all the current staff for the work you all do w/o compensation! Your efforts are appreciated.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:11 pm

Alladinsane wrote:I had a further thought on re-energizing; it was not discussed in my days. what if it were time lapsed? One cup of coffee at noon might keep me up all night, though changes to the way healing food works might bring wholesale changes to the combat system... you can find proposals to that, all over this forum dating back 10+ yrs and it may be too much for progd to even attempt. I know they can start it; but...

It might affect the massacres of the past and make them unrepeatable? Since the recharge was historically instant, this may be moot.

Thank you to all the current staff for the work you all do w/o compensation! Your efforts are appreciated.

I think there's still pieces of the combat-puzzle to fit together before we'd tweak energising food, but it's an interesting thought :)
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:50 am

Thanks everybody for your ideas! We've gobbled them up and are discussing them now in RD. Don't let that stop you from adding more thoughts of course :mrgreen:

Return to “General Discussion”