Copycats

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

alecto

Copycats

Postby alecto » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:16 am

Either there's a very uncanny coincidence, or someone is copycatting one of my characters. :(
Has anyone had that happen before?? What did you do about it?
gudgeon

Re: Copycats

Postby gudgeon » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:29 am

Perfect alibi?
alecto

Postby alecto » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:31 am

:lol: Different island, unfortunately, but yeah - that would have been perfect. :twisted:
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:42 am

alecto wrote:Either there's a very uncanny coincidence, or someone is copycatting one of my characters. :(
Has anyone had that happen before?? What did you do about it?

That's interesting! Is this the best form of flattery?

Are they going so far as copying your character's name also?
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
alecto

Postby alecto » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:44 am

Name, gimmick, personality, and some actions too it seems! The description is different though.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:06 am

I had someone copy one of my descriptions once, verbatim. I made the mistake of confronting them about it in game in ooc: private whispers. They got really douchy about it, claiming they had come up with that description all on their own. I was respectful, even went as far as writing out a slightly different character description. I don't think they ever changed it.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:38 am

alecto wrote:Name, gimmick, personality, and some actions too it seems! The description is different though.
Maybe it's your character's doppelgänger. :shock:
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:43 pm

Cheers!! :D

That's some flattery indeed!! But it could be a coincidence too. I would take it lightly and even feel loved in your place.
alecto

Postby alecto » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:58 am

Rocket Frog wrote:Cheers!! :D

That's some flattery indeed!! But it could be a coincidence too. I would take it lightly and even feel loved in your place.

I guess I could say it's a coincidence. A really, really rare coincidence. But yeah, definitely doesn't make me feel loved.
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:49 am

I know of 3, same name, same affliction... I even think same occupation.

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:32 pm

Sunni Daez wrote:I know of 3, same name, same affliction... I even think same occupation.

It must be really weird to play one of these chars. I've only seen same names but they are all common names that coincide.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:31 am

Sunni Daez wrote:I know of 3, same name, same affliction... I even think same occupation.

Is this someone who wants to chop off body parts?
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:36 am

Yeah, that happened to me recently, it was weird. My newest character but he'd been around a while, and this other guy spawned with a very bland personality, basically hit on every female and nothing else of substance.

Then a character who acted exactly like him, so painfully obvious it was the same player, showed up in another of my character's town, and he had the exact description of my character in the other character's town, except they copy pasted it wrong so it started on a random word in the middle of the first sentence :roll:

I think all I did was post about it on the forum like this, I think I might have talked to someone in PD but just said maybe if you can drop them a message saying characters should be unique and it's considered bad form. I mean, technically, if we ourselves are not supposed to repeat our characters or reincarnate them, or have a new character with the same name and personality as the dead ones (at least that is what I had read was part of the rules, maybe that's changed), then wouldn't another player copying your character also kinda be breaking that rule? Because at a point it's not an individual character anymore, that can be iffy.
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:39 am

PaintedbyRoses wrote:

Is this someone who wants to chop off body parts?

Nope

Run...Dragon...Run!!!

Return to “General Discussion”