The "very old" person with the simplest life

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

gudgeon

The "very old" person with the simplest life

Postby gudgeon » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:51 am

Most of the "very old" characters are rich, to quote one of them, "having enough iron to cause an avalanche". They also wear heavily decorated clothings, souvenirs from various events hanging on their belt. They own fully rigged rakers and galleons, and even have multiple houses in different cities.

However, there also must be those who have spent the thousands of days in just farming potatoes, and still holds the tortoiseshell shield they picked up on their first day...

Have you ever seen very old people living very simple life? Who is the poorest old person you've ever seen?
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Re: The "very old" person with the simplest life

Postby Joshuamonkey » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:00 am

To me the best example is Boneman in Kwor. And the reason I say the best example is because this style of life was very intentional or part of his character. He also reached what I would consider extreme age.
As his name implies, Boneman focused on bones. Bones were his friends, bones gave him advice, bones were his possessions (including clothes) and gifts to others. He had a building out of bones. I think he did have an iron shield, and at some point he was given a leadership position, but he never used it. I don't know if he even entered the storage.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:12 am

Joshuamonkey wrote:To me the best example is Boneman in Kwor. And the reason I say the best example is because this style of life was very intentional or part of his character. He also reached what I would consider extreme age.
As his name implies, Boneman focused on bones. Bones were his friends, bones gave him advice, bones were his possessions (including clothes) and gifts to others. He had a building out of bones. I think he did have an iron shield, and at some point he was given a leadership position, but he never used it. I don't know if he even entered the storage.

It's admirable that the roleplay lasts for real life years, especially for a primitive and non-exciting life style.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:06 am

There's a very old character in <town name redacted> whose only activity is to occasionally emote various aspects of sleeping.That character may or may not be mine....
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:31 am

Snickie wrote:There's a very old character in <town name redacted> whose only activity is to occasionally emote various aspects of sleeping.That character may or may not be mine....

I wish I could come across that place and see that one day! :mrgreen: :lol:
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:09 am

I have an old character that digs for limestone.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:37 pm

I have a very old character who hasn't spoken a word since age 21. Not poor though.
I think ...
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:48 pm

Tiamo wrote:I have a very old character who hasn't spoken a word since age 21. Not poor though.

Is he a professional survivalist who owns a personal palace in the central plains of [CONTINENT_NAME_REDACTED]?
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:57 pm

Survivalist yes, everything else no. You don't know the character.
I think ...
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:47 am

Most of my older characters kind of wound up with everyone else's stuff when they died, even if they did try to lead a simple life. They would give it away or try to use it, but as things got so sleepy it was really hard to even get newspawns to use things they were given, they'd leave in a car and show up dead somewhere a few years later and my character has the dumb car back again. The railways will at least help offload all the wood and metal some of my characters are stuck with from sleep-workers insisting on chopping trees for 50 years etc XD

I do have some characters who are very uncomfortable with certain levels of finery though. I have a character who grew up on an island with no non-animal clothing sources so everyone wore hide and fur clothing, he owns finer clothing made of cotton and silk now but isnt' comfortable trying them on, but keeps them since they were gifts from friends. Some of my characters are shy and self conscious and wear kind of frumpy, plain clothing and don't carry around much artistic type of stuff. Some are also paranoid types, and try not to carry anything fancy on themselves, and don't want to be in charge of riches and property, but might be stuck doing so because everyone else just kinda died.
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”

Return to “General Discussion”