Do you stagger the active time of your several chars?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

gudgeon

Do you stagger the active time of your several chars?

Postby gudgeon » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:36 am

Once I saw two towns light up sequently. And it occurred to me that those two chars who went active had something in common in their manner and way of speech.

Since then, I intentionally spread the activities of my chars. Especially those less active ones. Some in the morning, some at noon, and some at the night. My most active ones still respond immediately when I see them light up. I find it more difficult to get into character when you know that the char you're speaking with is played by one who also has a char of a completely different style, so I try to avoid being identified, in order to make it easier for others to play with my chars'.
Vega

Re: Do you stagger the active time of your several chars?

Postby Vega » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:18 pm

I would do that, when I was playing time ago. I'm not sure if it helped or not xD
Now, I just play whenever...
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:45 pm

I used to. Now I don't.
I think that part of getting into character is accepting the scene and not trying to look around and finding the guy with the camera, the dudes at the sound panel, the one controlling the lights, and identifying the actors and actresses behind the masks.

If you watch a movie and you start it by saying "that's fake", "that's an IG mounted scene", "I know that actor!! He played some character at [blah blah blah]"... Then just don't watch that movie. Part of the premise is accepting the scene and forgetting about everything else. Just feel it, vibe with it, let your heart go and live the scene.
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:37 am

Vega wrote:I would do that, when I was playing time ago. I'm not sure if it helped or not xD
Now, I just play whenever...

I guess I'm just new then. :)

Rocket Frog wrote:I think that part of getting into character is accepting the scene and not trying to look around and finding the guy with the camera, the dudes at the sound panel, the one controlling the lights, and identifying the actors and actresses behind the masks.

This is very true, but I still find it more comfortable with a char when I assume that it is the only char of that player. The difference between game and movie is probably that in a game you make decision, instead of following a script, so you are more likely to waver and get distracted.
Neva

Postby Neva » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:13 pm

That sort of strategy has its own perks as mentioned above, but it also has a huge downside, in my opinion. I'm not a stalker type nor I'm interested in players in person. I get curious like a healthy human being and like being curious about their players while I'm enjoying the mystery staying behind the curtain. Despite this, I can't avoid having an idea of some characters being played by the same player, sometimes it's due to the in game activity times as gudgeon mentioned, but most of the time based on the way they're being played.

When I see one of a particular player's characters active while the other one inactive to respond something my character did or said, I feel like my character, or role play is being ignored. It's just like that blue check mark (whatever it's called) on WhatsApp. I try my best not to leak that feeling into my role play, my character doesn't act as if it was ignored, but I take it as a dislike to my role play, as a player.
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:25 am

Neva wrote:When I see one of a particular player's characters active while the other one inactive to respond something my character did or said, I feel like my character, or role play is being ignored. It's just like that blue check mark (whatever it's called) on WhatsApp.

Good point, I haven't thought about that it could look like intentional ignoring. I will respond immediately if I see someone do something interesting.
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:43 am

gudgeon wrote:
Neva wrote:When I see one of a particular player's characters active while the other one inactive to respond something my character did or said, I feel like my character, or role play is being ignored. It's just like that blue check mark (whatever it's called) on WhatsApp.

Good point, I haven't thought about that it could look like intentional ignoring. I will respond immediately if I see someone do something interesting.

It happens to me too. A lot. But I know everyone has a life and even I sometimes I'm not in the exact mood for certain rp. I don't know what happens to other players, I would never be so rude to go and ask or something. But the blue feeling is there. The act must go on anyway.
alecto

Postby alecto » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:34 am

Sometimes I see a good RP start up but I'm on a timed break at work, or headed to bed, or something like that, and I don't want to start something I can't put effort into. There's lots of reasons for a character not to respond :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”