Probability of 2 chars of the same player in one town, implied by statistics

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

gudgeon

Probability of 2 chars of the same player in one town, implied by statistics

Postby gudgeon » Thu May 28, 2020 9:07 am

There are 22 spawning locations for 143 English players. Does this imply that any town with a population larger than 7 is likely to have 2 chars of the same player?
alecto

Re: Probability of 2 chars of the same player in one town, implied by statistics

Postby alecto » Thu May 28, 2020 12:28 pm

It happened to me once!
gudgeon

Re: Probability of 2 chars of the same player in one town, implied by statistics

Postby gudgeon » Thu May 28, 2020 12:39 pm

My chars so far are somewhat away from each other. I'm quite content with them now as they have good stories going and also I don't want to make new chars and bump into my old chars. 8)
alecto

Postby alecto » Thu May 28, 2020 12:57 pm

Well that was my intention. I didn't mean to spawn a new char right in the town where one already was, it just happened - then the newspawn had to book it out of town and find a good RP reason why :lol:
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Thu May 28, 2020 12:59 pm

The fixed spawning location system is not used for the english zone.
Instead a system is used where characters can spawn at any location with at least two english characters present. More characters present means more chance of spawning there. Characters should not be spawning in a location with another character of the player present, not even in neighboring locations.
Unfortunately there are a few loopholes in the system, so 'accidents' occasionally happen. For smaller language groups sometimes no spawn town is available, so the fixed spawn locations are used, without restrictions (i think).
I think ...
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Thu May 28, 2020 1:12 pm

Tiamo wrote:The fixed spawning location system is not used for the english zone.

Does this mean that English speaking towns are more than 22?

And after thinking about this for a while I think I overestimated the probability. In fact as long as there are more than 15 towns, it's possible to allocate chars from the same player to different places. I shouldn't be worrying too much about my neighbors being shapeshifters controlled by a hive mind. :wink:
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Thu May 28, 2020 8:19 pm

Activity of the town matters now more as more people actively talking attracts more newspawns. Intentions was to make people to spawn on active places. And yes there's more than 22 towns, various sizes from 1 to onwards
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Surly

Postby Surly » Thu May 28, 2020 9:30 pm

Way back in the day, this was a problem. I don't think there were even 22 spawning locations back then. A lot of my early characters clustered on Cantr island.

Dynamic spawning was introduced in part to counter this. While the system was recently tweaked, I don't think there is any statistically significant chance of spawning in the same town.

One or two towns over though? Yes, that has certainly happened to me!
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Thu May 28, 2020 9:32 pm

Aggressiveness of raccoons also factors into certain spawns too. :lol:
Surly

Postby Surly » Thu May 28, 2020 9:41 pm

DylPickle wrote:Aggressiveness of raccoons also factors into certain spawns too. :lol:
Silence you, those raccoons are a dangerous menace! :lol:
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Fri May 29, 2020 2:38 am

Sometimes I see characters that look very similar to each other. I think this can also be attributed to the influence of culture. It is like that an era has long gone, but the culture survives in a handful of the people that disperse to different places and still keep their way of life.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Fri May 29, 2020 3:04 am

Tiamo wrote:Unfortunately there are a few loopholes in the system, so 'accidents' occasionally happen.

Back in the early 3000s, I had a character leave town on a resource run. Later that day I decided to spawn a new character. Guess where they ended up. :lol:

When the original character came back, it was a challenge to have them not collaborate and to not mix them up long enough for the new one to find some plausible excuse to leave. I messed up a few times. There was one stint where the newer one went to a certain new town but ended up coming back because their party was coming back and she didn't want to stay behind in a Polish town.
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Fri May 29, 2020 3:08 am

Snickie wrote:
Tiamo wrote:Unfortunately there are a few loopholes in the system, so 'accidents' occasionally happen.

Back in the early 3000s, I had a character leave town on a resource run. Later that day I decided to spawn a new character. Guess where they ended up. :lol:

When the original character came back, it was a challenge to have them not collaborate and to not mix them up long enough for the new one to find some plausible excuse to leave. I messed up a few times. There was one stint where the newer one went to a certain new town but ended up coming back because their party was coming back and she didn't want to stay behind in a Polish town.

I bet they even said "hi" to each other when they first met. :D
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:08 am

To avoid visits from the Gods. Its probably more prudent to have one find a new home...study maps IC and see if you can hitch a ride.

Do not have them interact through trading, fighting etc.
The best thing you can do is temporarily (if travel is no possible) have one working inside while the other indulges in outside activities.

Best of luck with it!
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:59 pm

Say something happened, and multiple sites joined together into a nation, identifying as one large group.

A player could have two citizens in that group, so long as they don't benefit unfairly from working together, and are in separate towns right?

Return to “General Discussion”