The lack of Anglopolski Pidgin and loanwords between the two languages

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

witia1

Re: The lack of Anglopolski Pidgin and loanwords between the two languages

Postby witia1 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:13 am

Part of problem is that characters are comming in to world at 20 years old with not exacly definined knowlege.
If we would go way you don't know what it is unlit you have seen it then a lot of game interactions would be crippling. How you can make screwdriwer if you have't seen one made before? How you know rice is good food.
Most often we assume that character comming on to world already have quite extensive knowlege.
How many characters were supprised by trains? For over 300 years there was none and nie they are popping around like it would be something normal.
I'm not saying it is nad thing but this vague knowlege of character is easiest explanation why languages win't blend and why everything have it's rl world names.
Last edited by witia1 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Pieces.
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:49 am

My Polish learning has halted. Hopefully I will be making progress again.
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:15 pm

I was considering this the other day after an interaction between the two languages, and wondered why myself. I put it down to the Cantr culture and the unwritten rules that exist in the game (not to be confused with the actual rules). The first time I played I was absorbed into it and followed along, learning the 'rules' as I learned the game. This time I'm more aware of it, noting if a character pushes against it, some other character often pushes mine back to the mainstream. It kinda happened with the pidgin and I realised it would be hard to go against. Given that my first time playing I was one pushing to keep the 'rules', I understand the need to keep the status quo. I think I'm more aware as it's been five years since I last played and I've been learning about group behaviour in some learning modules - including bias and organisational sub cultures and behaviours. I think a more fluent bilingual player will do a better job at creating a middle language, but even in English, I have been corrected for using incorrect or made up terms. Maybe because we come from a wide range of colloquialisms and dialects, a uniform language is preferred? Or we like perfection in a language? And if it's a second language for our character we want to get it 'right' or to please the other player or not break the rules (by speaking the language exactly)?
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?
witia1

Postby witia1 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:50 pm

I like polish zamordki quite a bit. And while it would be fun to get new names for things there is question where to draw a line.
Which names your character can know. In real life we accumulate knowledge through whole life and begin with very marginal one.
But also we have parents or other guardians that explain world to us. Where to draw a line for Cantrian? He cannot be "blank" slate.
That would make him 20 y.o. cripple in world. That would be unreasonable to expect from everyone to know nothing when coming in to world.
Even if we would draw a line at something "exotic" then it is vague and hard to follow. Also as game with text interface, where most objects don't have descriptions other than name it could lead to some confusion if we should call it by other name.
It could be fun in some, limited, cases but in mass scale I would consider it to be quite annoying. As this wouldn't be only language thing. Even two English towns could have different names for same things. All your (potential) 15 characters would need to have separate dictionaries to describe world. Keeping track of it and still being able to communicate would be quite a challenge.
Rest In Pieces.
Undine

Postby Undine » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:19 pm

I wonder how different the game would be if we had to "name" every single object, the same way that we have to set names for people. Not sure that it would work for the crafting system at all (unless instead of a name every entry just gave you a description of the function of the tools). All of that is probably too big of a change for the game after so long, BUT I bet pidgin / loanwords would pop up more often in that sort of system!
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:30 am

The phrase "mapa swiata" probably has successfully entered Cantrian English.

Return to “General Discussion”