Most interesting spawn?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

alecto

Most interesting spawn?

Postby alecto » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:11 am

Curious about other players' most interesting spawns - did you land in a weird town, ended up expert in nothing, clicked the opposite gender to what you thought you did, appeared in the middle of nowhere with no one around?

Last time I played, I somehow spawned an English-speaking character in the middle of a large Polish town. There were no English speakers there (apart from one of the town leaders, who was very lovely and patient), so not sure if it was a glitch or perhaps two people on a ship in the harbour, but poor Temu ended up living there and slowly learning to speak Polish. She had quite a life, learning a trade and making friends and butchering verbs. At one point an old Polish character died and left everything to Temu in his will; she ended up very wealthy and retired to the Polish countryside to help her friend's wine-making business.
Zanthos

Re: Most interesting spawn?

Postby Zanthos » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:20 am

Deep history time - this is going off the memory I got so things might be a little hazy

in 1511 I spawned a character Jingo.. I think it had to be on Burgeo. Jingo was raw, I hadn't decided on a personality for him, and I found out very soon that I literally spawned during a war between Tuatha De Dannan and I want to say the Blackrocks. Jingo also happened to be incredibly strong and an expert fighter, and was literally handed a shield and a battleaxe and was sent to fight. This was my first major experience with cantr combat, and it was basically all boat boarding action and combat, getting docking, timing log in time to make sure you can get your hits in on everyone and undock before anyone could respond. (this is also the era of server load time limits, of course). I don't have the records, but I know I scored at least one kill during all of this. Probably a guy in his 80s, we were always told to 'go for the eldest person you see first'

During all of this chaos, our army manages to capture a few Dannans, and lock them up in a dungeon. We also capture one of the leaders and I'm ordered to execute him.

Now here is where I finally make a stand with Jingo, I'm fine with fighting a war, I'm fine with killing people who are trying to kill me, but Jingo will NOT kill an unarmed prisoner locked in a jail cell. My axe is taken and I'm tossed in the cell with the other Dannans. Eventually through overwhelming force, the invading army wins and we're all released. My time in the jail cell with those two other people was formative for Jingo, who was basically indoctrinated into the Tuatha De Dannan ways. After release, he joined the group he used to fight against to make amends for those he killed and hurt.

Jingo's life was.. a lot more boring in the time after the war. Born into battle, peace wasn't agreeable to his personality.

Sadly Jingo died in 2189 of a heart attack when I came back from a party at university and found out my very first character was murdered in complete silence with zero RP to spite me because the character who did it knew she was about to be captured and killed, and so I deleted my account. 8 other characters died because of that decision and I immediately regretted it the next morning but alas, I was not blessed by an emergency server roll back and this was in the time before the mandatory wait time to deactivate accounts.

Dates are pulled from the character list, and I've been looking through libraries to try and find documentation of these events to confirm my recollections but haven't found anything yet.
Person: Akamada doesnt control the animals.
You see a wild boar attack Person.
Person: I still dont believe you.

<Spill> Oh, I enjoy every sperm to the fullest.
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:35 am

That was a fun time! I had characters on both sides of the conflict, which was interesting. One was part of the Imperial Karnon Army, and the other was a Blackrock. Both mid-rank. They both died on or near Burgeo.

Thanks for sharing that story.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:47 am

I love hearing stories of the olden days. I don't understand why there aren't battles like that anymore. It sounds super exciting.
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:51 am

There could be so many reasons. It's a real shame, though. There were way more players and characters back then, and packed in much closer. There was less indivisualism too, I think. But that could be my memory playing tricks on me. You don't really see groups anymore, though.

I wish I could get my character list from my original account.
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:27 pm

PaintedbyRoses wrote:I love hearing stories of the olden days. I don't understand why there aren't battles like that anymore. It sounds super exciting.

I think the main reason is characters have become too precious to the players to risk them in battle. Players have usually invested years of gameplay in their main characters, and battle is pretty deadly in Cantr. Plus of course there is nothing to win in battle, other than the thrill of the battle itself.
I think ...
alecto

Postby alecto » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:02 am

Not sure if this counts as 'interesting', but last time I played I spawned a character in a town on Treefeather, and then a few days later... spawned a second character there, somehow. Even though my first had never left. I didn't think that was supposed to happen :lol:
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:37 pm

Once I spawned a character in a coastal place. I found it strange that no one was on sight. When I look in the location tab, a ship was just leaving. Pretty much my character spawned there when everybody was on board and ready to set sail. So there she staid, alone...
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:49 pm

Once upon a time I had 9 characters spread out all over the world. One day I sent Two out on a resource run and made the mistake of deciding to spawn Ten while Two was out on the road. Guess where Ten spawned.

If you guessed in the very town Two had just left not hours before, congratulations, you get a biscuit.
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:19 pm

I spawned a char into polish town... Apparently there was 2 english players chars sleeping. That was sure fun as I can speak 0 polish :roll: Luckily leader spoke english so I at least could get my char established and later leave (With ex-prostitute who sadly died on trip).
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Vega

Postby Vega » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:59 am

alecto wrote:Curious about other players' most interesting spawns - did you land in a weird town, ended up expert in nothing, clicked the opposite gender to what you thought you did, appeared in the middle of nowhere with no one around?

I want to say all of the above... but I miss the last one. :D

Weird town? Check. A couple, actually.
Expert in nothing? Check. And I also had one that was only expert in ONE thing and she was almost forbidden to do the one thing...
Opposite gender? Check. And wrong language too. :roll:
I also had a character in a town where only one person talked her language... and he became her biggest enemy and tried to kill her almost the first day. So she ended up hidden in a room with people that couldn't understand her and were told she was the one doing the harm. Fun fun.
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
Surly

Postby Surly » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:10 pm

I spawned a character accidentally the wrong gender way back before dynamic naming (in that case a female character with a very male name). I asked the PD to kill them off and they did - not once did either I or staff stop to think that maybe they could just rename the character for me. :lol:
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
lee-whiteout

Postby lee-whiteout » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:12 am

I somehow glitched out and spawned two of the exact same character in the exact same place seconds apart. I had one of them leave immediately, and played him as a traveller type while the other stayed behind and is still alive and well in her hometown.
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:56 am

I spawned eleven English chars and none of them spawned outside the three English islands.
zymurge

Postby zymurge » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:44 am

lee-whiteout wrote:I somehow glitched out and spawned two of the exact same character in the exact same place seconds apart. I had one of them leave immediately, and played him as a traveller type while the other stayed behind and is still alive and well in her hometown.

I'm pretty sure that I saw that happen. If I recall, you said something about it OOC.

Return to “General Discussion”