Cantr Villains and Violent Characters

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Money

Re: Cantr Villains and Violent Characters

Postby Money » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:48 pm

raspberrytea wrote:
Alladinsane wrote:Some people might have spouses or significant others who might take serious offense at those who engage in ERP or portray their chars in a way that they might not morally agree with.

Er... What are you saying here?

If someone is married or has a SO or for any reason at all doesn't want to engage in ERP, they shouldn't give consent to the other player for it.

If the other player didn't ask for consent, that's a consent problem.

If the player with the disapproving spouse gave consent, that's them being a cheater (or inconsiderate jerk).

I think they're trying to say that confidentiality must be maintained because relationships may be impact if it is revealed that people engaged in graphic roleplay (either sexual or violent).

Seems like a red herring. I don't think anyone was suggesting that those who participate in that kind of roleplay be called out or identified. This thread has actually been refreshingly supportive of the need for "edgier" rp in the game.

Edit: Made it a little less snippy :oops:. I've really enjoyed the civil tone here and apologise if anyone caught that.
Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Death is realistic but not fun. Cantr is both a simulation and a game, but it can't be both optimally. I wish the development team would stop being autistic and educate themselves on the consequences of various design choices. In technical terms, Cantr is the best it's ever been, but it has been dying for a very long time. In any field, people who want to succeed look at what others have done, at what has worked and what has failed.

Or we could just talk about what a tiny player base is doing, or not doing, as Cantr suffers on its death bed.
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:56 pm

I can't see so much point in long term violence in Cantr's current situation. It's not nice to sit on the needles and pins by always expecting an attack, knowing that you or your friends can be killed if you can't check the game for a few days. Especially if we consider the going on heart attacks (some were even wakeful people).
However I can say violence keeps the people alert and creates new bonds, also in my time of playing I've rarely seen widely threatening groups except the ones targeting the game itself. So as long as it's mindful, I'm not totally against.
I think the main key is the balance, because Cantr and characters can change in time. New political ideas and groups can be formed, your former enemy might become a long term friend and your partner might try to kill you. Trying to have a total power exchange is highly possible to lead catastrophic results even though the player's goal wasn't that. Because I don't think most of the players play to have a virtual power or game wealth etc. It's a boring thing if you don't have friends or loved ones to share those or if your IG success raises over the loss of some good players.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:03 pm

For the record, I feel like En Kell might be the one thing to finally force ne to quit this game. I started playing cantr 8 to 9 years ago, and my characters are mostly about that old too. I joined cantr because I was tortured, abused, sexually humiliated and molested for most of my life, and needed an escape before I killed myself, that's how much it means to me, if not for cantr I might not have made it and gotten over some horrible issues because I didn't have any friends or mental health access at all. (Now I've had therapy and I'm doing okay, but still)

So just let me say that when your character kidnaps mine and terrorizes them, and forces me to stay online because your character will kill them if they sleep too long, and you sexually humiliate them the exact same way people did to me, this game isn't fun at all, I won't be able to enjoy this game again until En is dead, she terrorizes half my characters because they live on the coast and I can't just uproot them. I'm sick of having to get up in the middle of the night irl to make sure someone didn't just snuff out a character I worked on for almost a decade, and in real life when someone is sleeping you just wait for then to wake, you attacking my character to wake them unrealistically is ooc trying to force me to get online 24/7 to appease you the player and that is not cool.

Furthermore En is now contributing to the shearing of population, towns that had active happy people are all sleepers now because you interrupted gameplay so hard they just gave up on the game, it doesn't make it better, my towns were finally back on their feet from the population drop and now they're gone again. And honestly, no matter how many times you argue it, I can not fathom a good person deriving pleasure from playing sick and twisted characters like this. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night causing that sort of undue grossness upon characters who are played by other humans. I understand crashing your coaster on roller coaster tycoon, but we are humans behind these characters and your En Kell shows a huge disregard for the human minds behind these screens and how we might have been enjoying this game for years before this unnecessary stuff ruined all we worked on. It's not just about drama and plot line when you're playing with other people, at a point you have to understand the other people aren't having any fun because it's non stop terror, and you might be taking it too far. If i wanted an exciting deadly scary game, I would play a horror genre game and not cantr. I joined cantr for an open world rpg with creative and simulator properties, not for a slasher torture cannibal holocaust game.
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:39 pm

Regarding your comment, miirkaelisaar, I certainly would also feel horribly violated and traumatized if one of my characters experienced what you describe. I don't think any player should have to endure what amounts to emotional torture like that.

I'd like some clarification from staff about what to do if this happens. Somehow, I had the idea that, if a character is role playing something sexual or overly violent (i.e. torture, not just a straight forward attack) that I don't like or want to participate in, then I should tell the other player OOC to stop and that I don't want to role-play in that way. They still might kill my character but there are no guarantees of eternal life for any character in Cantr. If the other player doesn't stop the disturbing role-play, then staff would (hopefully) step in quickly to make them stop.

Your Cantr characters can and probably, will, eventually die. The game, itself, has potential for folding. Unfortunately, change and loss are things that we all have, and will, experience. But, basing your own well-being on the existence or well-being of online game characters, is not a choice that will serve you well. Please, try to find ways to distance yourself emotionally from your characters and find coping strategies which will help you to deal with stress and loss.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:41 pm

Whew buddy. Miirk:

1. OOC consent is required for graphic roleplay of either a violent or sexual nature and may be withdrawn at any time. If withdrawn, your character would be simply killed by mechanics and without any ensuing roleplay messages. Using RL trauma as a reason why something should not happen to your character IC is invalid, then, as you should well know having played for so long. Consent has always been required for graphic roleplay. Character death, however, does not require consent. If that were the case, my occasional newspawn thieves would be immortal.

2. It seems like you are threatening another player here and throwing around ultimatums (I'm going to quit, I'm going to backslide and kill myself) based on the actions of that person's character. You are also insulting that player. If you are trying to influence the actions of another player OOCly (by bullying them into not attacking your character IG) then that is a CR and you should be reported. It is unacceptable behaviour again from someone who, having played Cantr for so long, should know better. OOC coordination is not allowed.

3. As I have said before, and will say again, online video games should not be used as the basis for a mental health support network. If you are in danger of killing yourself or harming yourself IRL, then you should get help IRL. Look to support networks there among friends and family and within the scope of your community, or among qualified doctors and nurses. Moreover, holding an online community hostage with threats and insinuations of self harm is not okay.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:50 pm

Furthermore, it is your opinion that things are not fun - that does not make it everyone's opinion. I for one have noticed the opposite to what you describe in the same general area. More people are travelling there, spawning in, and seem to be more wakeful and active and excited to have something tangible to motivate them to action. Before, it was largely a dead zone.

Just because you personally do not like something does not mean everyone also hates it. And there are ways to secure your characters or remove yourself from undue stress - nothing is preventing you from moving your characters elsewhere, or organising a posse to hunt the pirates down, or fortifying behind 3-4 locks, hiring guards, etc. And all these things increase the engagement of other players, too, when their characters are involved.
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:33 pm

miirkaelisaar wrote:For the record, I feel like En Kell might be the one thing to finally force ne to quit this game. I started playing cantr 8 to 9 years ago, and my characters are mostly about that old too. I joined cantr because I was tortured, abused, sexually humiliated and molested for most of my life, and needed an escape before I killed myself, that's how much it means to me, if not for cantr I might not have made it and gotten over some horrible issues because I didn't have any friends or mental health access at all. (Now I've had therapy and I'm doing okay, but still)

So just let me say that when your character kidnaps mine and terrorizes them, and forces me to stay online because your character will kill them if they sleep too long, and you sexually humiliate them the exact same way people did to me, this game isn't fun at all, I won't be able to enjoy this game again until En is dead, she terrorizes half my characters because they live on the coast and I can't just uproot them. I'm sick of having to get up in the middle of the night irl to make sure someone didn't just snuff out a character I worked on for almost a decade, and in real life when someone is sleeping you just wait for then to wake, you attacking my character to wake them unrealistically is ooc trying to force me to get online 24/7 to appease you the player and that is not cool.

Furthermore En is now contributing to the shearing of population, towns that had active happy people are all sleepers now because you interrupted gameplay so hard they just gave up on the game, it doesn't make it better, my towns were finally back on their feet from the population drop and now they're gone again. And honestly, no matter how many times you argue it, I can not fathom a good person deriving pleasure from playing sick and twisted characters like this. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night causing that sort of undue grossness upon characters who are played by other humans. I understand crashing your coaster on roller coaster tycoon, but we are humans behind these characters and your En Kell shows a huge disregard for the human minds behind these screens and how we might have been enjoying this game for years before this unnecessary stuff ruined all we worked on. It's not just about drama and plot line when you're playing with other people, at a point you have to understand the other people aren't having any fun because it's non stop terror, and you might be taking it too far. If i wanted an exciting deadly scary game, I would play a horror genre game and not cantr. I joined cantr for an open world rpg with creative and simulator properties, not for a slasher torture cannibal holocaust game.

Firstly, I am sorry that you feel that way.

However, Cantr is a game that allows for characters to be killed. It allows for players to roleplay out graphic or violent acts (with the consent of both parties). I've expressed this sentiment before, and I will do so again--why play a game that allows for those things if you don't want any part of them?

As for me being a sick and depraved individual--that's really honestly hurtful, and I think you know that. If you're so invested emotionally in a game that you can no longer distinguish between the character and the player, that's an issue. I'm not En. I am, however, a writer.

Would you say that Stephen King is a psychotic murderer because he writes them? Or, for a more apt example, would you say that every single Cantr player to ever play a murderer is a RL sociopath?

I've discussed killing characters already, so I'm not going to repeat what I've said. But a good player, and a good writer, should be able to use their characters' experiences--good and bad--to shape said characters' personalities. Development. Growth.
ToxikCoffee

Postby ToxikCoffee » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:47 pm

Alright, I'm getting real annoyed by this conversation, but I keep reading anyway because I have no life. :P

Some of you may know me as the essentric player of Tyler Julien. He is traumatized after a near death experience followed by imprisonment and neglect as well as humiliation.

I, as a player, am not bitter about it, unlike Tyler. This is called CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.

You need antagonists to flesh out a character, otherwise things get boring real quick.

I do support cutecuddlydirewolf, as a result. My characters despise En Kell, and many fear her. But as for her player? Player-to-player, I see Cuddly as a wonderful writer with good intentions.

If one cannot be a good sport about the game, then take your characters to a safer place, please. We have no room for drama and ragequitters.

Just my own thoughts, of course.
"My most traumatizing moment was being stuck in a cage without ice cream. Also I eat my hamburgers like I eat my hockey pucks."
Neva

Postby Neva » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:09 am

ToxikCoffee wrote:I, as a player, am not bitter about it, unlike Tyler. This (Neva's note: The bad things experienced by a character) is called CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.

Death has no contribution to a story which has been developed in years of effort, hopes and all the smiles/tears you shared with the character turn to dust when someone decided to kill it for no apparent reason. "Being a pirate" isn't an excuse, those characters that have taken from their fellow characters during the time had pages of background stories that brought them there, they suffered a lot, they witnessed a lot and experienced a lot more than an untalented role player picking (only and only) well played characters (to make it less playable in my opinion). They were never meant to be killed by someone with the story- "Ermmm.. My story, hmmm, my story is, I decided to be a pirate. Isn't it super-exciting? And so far I'm winning. (Sorry?)")

You can use everything in the environment to develop your character in some way or another. It's a frustration watching well-played characters being targeted by someone who just "role-plays" as an excuse of killing them.

I had characters they had been lost in action, I enjoyed most of them. En Kell isn't a creatively played character, in my opinion, that's why her attacks aren't well received by many.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:59 am

Neva wrote:Death has no contribution to a story which has been developed in years of effort, hopes and all the smiles/tears you shared with the character turn to dust when someone decided to kill it for no apparent reason. "Being a pirate" isn't an excuse, those characters that have taken from their fellow characters during the time had pages of background stories that brought them there, they suffered a lot, they witnessed a lot and experienced a lot more than an untalented role player picking (only and only) well played characters (to make it less playable in my opinion). They were never meant to be killed by someone with the story- "Ermmm.. My story, hmmm, my story is, I decided to be a pirate. Isn't it super-exciting? And so far I'm winning. (Sorry?)")

You can use everything in the environment to develop your character in some way or another. It's a frustration watching well-played characters being targeted by someone who just "role-plays" as an excuse of killing them.

I had characters they had been lost in action, I enjoyed most of them. En Kell isn't a creatively played character, in my opinion, that's why her attacks aren't well received by many.

Have you forgotten that Cantr is a "society simulator?" I take this to mean that it is meant to be as much like real life as possible. In real life people die. Sometimes awesome people who have lived rich and meaningful lives are murdered by other people who have done little except commit crimes and kill other people for no good reason. If you read the news you will read some version of this story every single day.

Characters played by "good role-players" generally have more protection than the average character. They usually acquire high level shields and weapons just for being active and entertaining. They also usually have locked houses and vehicles to provide protection. A pirate character is not necessarily poorly role-played as you imply just because they like to kill. In Cantr, you can be anything you want - including a cold-hearted murderer.

Disaster of any kind is what shakes things up and makes Cantr life interesting. And thinking that a character should have some sort of special protection from death (by any means) is completely against the purpose and the rules of the game. If it were up to me, there would be diseases that would arbitrarily kill people so that some of those 200 year old characters who are just sitting on huge piles of resources would die and give a new generation a chance to strive and thrive.
Neva

Postby Neva » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:49 am

Neva wrote:

Is it that hard to understand what I'm talking about? Weren't my words clear enough to tell that I'm not against, murder and piracy?
Neva

Postby Neva » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:26 am

miirkaelisaar wrote:

And honestly, no matter how many times you argue it, I can not fathom a good person deriving pleasure from playing sick and twisted characters like this. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night causing that sort of undue grossness upon characters who are played by other humans. I understand crashing your coaster on roller coaster tycoon, but we are humans behind these characters and your En Kell shows a huge disregard for the human minds behind these screens and how we might have been enjoying this game for years before this unnecessary stuff ruined all we worked on. It's not just about drama and plot line when you're playing with other people, at a point you have to understand the other people aren't having any fun because it's non stop terror, and you might be taking it too far. If i wanted an exciting deadly scary game, I would play a horror genre game and not cantr. I joined cantr for an open world rpg with creative and simulator properties, not for a slasher torture cannibal holocaust game.

To conclude, I highly agree with miirkaelisaar. I don't see the enthusiasm of a role-player at the way of En Kell being played, but despair of a child in rage who is too shy to have a real tantrum. No signs of empathy or sympathy for people of a very small community sharing the same areas of interest with the player.

Getting rid of old people sitting on the piles of super duper awesome whatever has an OOC motivation. It gets fed merely from OOC motivations, killing well played characters has another OOC motivation. Talking about "well played" characters as if their players were cheating by staying in character in a role-play game doesn't have anything to do with OOC motivations... It just amused me a little.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:49 am

Wolfsong wrote:... the majority player community identifies all characters who are murderers with the same broad strokes - players then who must surely "get off on it" and do it with purely destructive OOC impulses in mind.

...the entire player community becomes prejudiced against the character and situation that caused that player to ragequit. This becomes a cycle until the player community, desperate to police itself and retain members where possible, turns on any signs of aggression and hostility in the name of saving the game, and removes the offending players from the community - by bullying, or (if admins are involved) banning.

[The majority of community members] will instead retreat even further into their own narratives, quit when those narratives are disrupted, and generally just wait until staff finally remove the offending player-character from the group.

I didn't expect people to so literally prove my post correct but... here we are.
Neva

Postby Neva » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:41 pm

Because there is a huge group disrespecting the other players' anonymity playing their characters with purely OOC desires and motivations, investigating which character is played by whom and share this "valuable" (sarcasm alert) information between each other in delight, it's hard to understand why people that try to stay in character are struggling.

We can ignore the elephant in the room and move on with the gamre just like this, but ignoring the elephant would be totally OOC, because... You know, elephants are sort of big guys. So, we can't do this.

I highly agree with Miirka, I highly agree with Shaudawn, Genie and all the role-players who enjoy the game in respect to each other. I don't know Miirka, I don't know Shaudawn, I don't know Genie, on the other hand. I don't try to cooperate with them to "save the game" or (*she laughs*) "ruin it for others who don't like to play it the way we do".

That's why it's hard to understand, I suppose, why it's cringy for us. We aren't incapable of starting an OOC pact to make the Cantr world a hell, we don't do that, because... We like to play our characters not ourselves. We play Cantr because it's a role-play game.

I lost a character to Ice Sisters, another one to Father Javier (a Spanish pirate: Praises!), another one to the Mad Man in Junsö Island. Besides, one of my chars caused one of the best played chars in game to die, I still feel bad about it but that was where the story lead us. I would love to apologise, but I don't know the player.

I'm quite sure that all of these players have experienced a lot, but never get fed up with "bad form" as much as they do right now.

Return to “General Discussion”