Does weather in Cantr seem... Weird?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

JsWill

Does weather in Cantr seem... Weird?

Postby JsWill » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:23 pm

I mean it doesn't seem fluid. I'm not really complaining I'd rather have it than not. But maybe it's just weird it doesn't effect you. You don't really get cold, you don't really have any symptoms weather is occurring. But it just feels a little out of place. Like sometimes I'm not even aware it's raining. That is how nonexistent it feels to me. Does anyone else get this or what? I mean in RP if I see it I might vaguely mention the weather, but I just feel like it should have a slight more of an impact. At least some sort of hindering factor. Like in a blizzard maybe you move slower, or something... I'd say can't see as far but that seems a bit irrelevant in Cantr given the system. Any thoughts?
Nikarus

Re: Does weather in Cantr seem... Weird?

Postby Nikarus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:15 pm

I do wish that there was a little more than a simple notification of weather.

Would give a bit more reason to A. Keep more clothing around. And B. Rp opportunities to the characters interacting based on "its too damn cold out here"
JsWill

Postby JsWill » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:21 pm

Nikarus wrote:I do wish that there was a little more than a simple notification of weather.

Would give a bit more reason to A. Keep more clothing around. And B. Rp opportunities to the characters interacting based on "its too damn cold out here"
Idk if that'll be enough though. I'm not asking for much, just some minor debuffs that is enough incentive to act the role of the weather but small enough that it wont interfere too harshly with people's enjoyment.
Ahrta

Postby Ahrta » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Some of us do pay attention to the weather and RP accordingly..... running from building to building through a downpour, pulling on coat and gloves because its cold, taking off a jacket because it is hot, moving closer to the fire, etc...... It is what you make of it
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:24 pm

I think at least on ocean weather should have impact on ships. I mean a storm definitely makes ship sail slower (or something) and good winds make them sail quicker. So I think we could add some minor stuff to weathers to stimulate rp. Of course not anything that can kill people but something to give reason to say wear more if it's winter etc
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Vanya

Postby Vanya » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:48 am

I RP acording to weather, and it uses to follow some path. Example: its cloudy before it becomes rainy (at least in the places my characters are). And it snows in winter.
But yeah... I would love if weather could be something more than just a notification.
JsWill

Postby JsWill » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:52 pm

Ahrta wrote:Some of us do pay attention to the weather and RP accordingly..... running from building to building through a downpour, pulling on coat and gloves because its cold, taking off a jacket because it is hot, moving closer to the fire, etc...... It is what you make of it
Yeah I suppose you're right. But also weather changes seem strange too. I mean I know someone stated it gets cloudy before it rains but I never see that. It almost seems very sudden. I'm not really complaining, I love weather and I'd rather have it and it be wonky than not have it at all. But it does seem a bit strange.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:18 pm

At this point weather has been relegated to a rp tool I think.

I love taking my boat directly into a headwind... it could make interface clunky with all of the tacking.
I would think that may directly interfere with the concept of a "slow game".
Being spawned wearing "nothing worth mentioning" in a blizzard...ooo. But you did say that you didn't want it to be fatal.
Still, if effects of weather did drain a few % of life; it might make the value of healing foods increase.

Also there is the effect of zones.
A gale in the straights near Shortinazy can be countered by a sunny day in Tircqi. Thats very interesting, but when we are trying to simulate the effects in those zones..where is the border? How can someone who set course (I keep coming back to boats) one hour be totally effected when they cross over? If you have chars spread apart, you can see that there are zones. It may be a programming problem to adjust to that? Since I have no programming knowledge "worth mentioning"... Will our volunteers be able and willing to make those changes?

Edit...cat on keyboard. whoops!
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:00 am

There's been numerous weather related suggestions, all sitting in the suggestions forum with pretty much no chance of ever becoming implemented. The best one I think was based on climate and it would have affected crop growth. I think it was running parallel to the trees/seeds suggestion at some point last year. And if memory serves there was discussion of meteorological events, too. It was all season, climate and geography based.

Yes, weather is weird in Cantr. It will probably stay that way.
Nikarus

Postby Nikarus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Alladinsane wrote:I love taking my boat directly into a headwind... it could make interface clunky with all of the tacking.
I would think that may directly interfere with the concept of a "slow game".

Add a sailing skill. The higher it is the better you are at automatically accounting for wind (both sailing with and against), multiplied a bit with the wind by your sails.

Thing is. To add meaningful weather and climate in, would require quite a bit of rewriting of the game. Which would jumble a lot up, and might actually require a game restart...

And most probably don't want that.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:27 pm

So, not one but two changes in the program?
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!

Return to “General Discussion”