Descriptions for item when placed?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Aduah

Descriptions for item when placed?

Postby Aduah » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:53 pm

Hello, I was just wondering if there is a way to set descriptions for items when they have been placed inside a building or something.

For example -
Table - Set askew under the window
Meat - Looks like it was sliced up, but has been sitting out and has started to turn bad.
Knife - Looks like it was stabbed into the table with haste.

This way it is more conducive to visualizing an RP enviroment. That way when someone walks into a place or building they can visualize what the place actually looks like. I am new, So I don't know if this is possible and I am hoping it is. really like to try to visualize how a place looks when I am RPing so I can make a better RP.
Snowdrop

Re: Descriptions for item when placed?

Postby Snowdrop » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:32 pm

When you're inside a building, click on the location tab and then you'll see an option for adding description underneath the capacity bars.
Aduah

Postby Aduah » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:37 pm

I did wonder how to do that, Thank you. But this is only for the room at large, correct? Is there no way to set a small description of how things are seen per object within the room. So the room can seem Lived in, per say. Rather than objects being listed as laying on the ground.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:42 pm

It is possible to do, and probably not super difficult, but given how much else is on the backburner, probably wouldn't be added in. What you describe is a pretty common RP MUD feature, though.
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:45 pm

Tables (regular, not kitchen) can be custom described, as can several other furnishings. Otherwise, the best option is to describe the room at large. In the past, before that option was implemented, people would drop notes to describe the room and arrangements of things. There's no implemented way to put a description directly on raw resources like meat.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:47 pm

One character custom described a storage room as being sorted by color, and I never changed it even after she died. That was an interesting touch.
Not-so-sad panda
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:28 pm

Paper labels won't work?

I know you can describe an item when you manufacture it and some can be altered by things like a needle, chisel, or carving knife. But the placement within the room might only be in the master room description.

Its sometimes tough when we are rapidly turning a simulation game into a role-playing game (which I prefer). You may want to check the suggestion archives and bump anything like this or start a new thread requesting it. My understand, though, is that the queue is pretty long and even accepted suggestions are not always the most expedient.

Its a good idea though and would be a great enhancement to rp.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:37 pm

You can put in the description of furniture where it is located within the room as well when you create or modify it. I forgot about the general room description and have done that with some furniture pieces.

Though now that I've been reminded of the general room description... I have much to do.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Aduah

Postby Aduah » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:42 am

Alladinsane wrote:Paper labels won't work?

I know you can describe an item when you manufacture it and some can be altered by things like a needle, chisel, or carving knife. But the placement within the room might only be in the master room description.

Its sometimes tough when we are rapidly turning a simulation game into a role-playing game (which I prefer). You may want to check the suggestion archives and bump anything like this or start a new thread requesting it. My understand, though, is that the queue is pretty long and even accepted suggestions are not always the most expedient.

Its a good idea though and would be a great enhancement to rp.

Can this just be moved to suggestions then, or Should I make a whole new topic.?
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:47 am

You can make a new topic, just please search and be sure the suggestion does not already exist.
Sometimes they get grumpy about redundancy.
If you need any help, please ask. :)
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!

Return to “General Discussion”