Why Is There Such A Refusal To Convey Radio News?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

MonkeyPants4736

Why Is There Such A Refusal To Convey Radio News?

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:53 pm

Characters treat the radio like a burden. It's the most advanced thing in the game. I get that it's annoying at times, but still. I've seen a whole town change the stations of their radios to avoid hearing annoying things, and then spend a bunch of time afterwards asking for radio logs when they finally realize that the big situation right next to them, that they chose to ignore, was something they actually needed to know about. I've seen a town with at least ten to fifteen people standing by radios, and not one of them bothers to tell anyone that someone is asking for their town by name or for people in their town by name. People don't bother sending important information to others by radio, either. Someone that everyone in the area knows by name just died in front of you? Oh, well. You can't be bothered to mention it. Edited It's even stranger to me that the characters should know very well by now that everyone is absolutely awful at communicating, yet none of them think to repeat important messages when they do bother to send them.

I don't understand why and find it absurd.
Last edited by Joshuamonkey on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited due to relation to ongoing events
Wolfsong

Re: Why Is There Such A Refusal To Convey Radio News?

Postby Wolfsong » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:06 pm

I'm under the impression it is largely because people do not want to get banned for misusing the radio, so they avoid using it entirely.
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:11 pm

I wondered that, too. But, it seems totally out of character to NOT do it. It hurts the simulation, because what information is, or isn't, conveyed has major effects on societies. I'd go so far as to argue that it's a CR breach to not convey messages relevant to your character if the reason is fear of a ban. If a player were indeed radio banned for conveying any message that is relevant to their character or their character's town/friends/whatever, I'd hope the player would make the community aware that that is happening and that the community would respond negatively to the ban.
ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:13 pm

I've not seen messages left un-relayed when they should have been (I don't know how anyone would know if they hadn't been XD) but I have seen radios 'turned off' to avoid chatter. From my experience it's very unusual that a character would ever expect to be able to hear something important from the radio on a given day, but it's easy once it's on the wrong frequency to forget to turn it back on. And there's a lot of circumstances where varying degrees of in-character patience might be worn very quickly thin by the radio :3

Your comments bought back an interesting memory though: my character who could neither speak nor write was often left as the only one in earshot of the radio. Even she usually managed to get the right person to radio requesting that whatever message might have been relevant to them be repeated.

On the CR front I'd think it a pretty rare occurrence for that to come up - it probably happens but if it's the only cause I don't think anyone would notice.
Ahrta

Postby Ahrta » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:26 pm

So here is a question.....if one of my characters hears something concerning one of my other characters via the radio...am I allowed to relay it?
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:32 pm

I would think you should be allowed to relay it.

If you were not allowed to relay it, then that would be unfair to all the other players' characters who should have gotten to hear it.

Edit: Keep in mind I'm talking about information that is relevant to the character hearing the message. I'm not talking about a situation where someone is conveying something with one character if they are doing it because it would help their other character. The latter case would of course be cheating.
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:04 pm

I literally KNOW OOCly that I have a character in a 'deadzone'. They can hear bits and pieces but they're irrelevant because repeaters have been gobbled up.
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:08 pm

That means your character knows, too, right? If they only hear bits and pieces, they probably know something is wrong unless they for some reason think people communicate with random phrases and disjointed responses :P
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:19 pm

They haven't got the materials to make a repeater. :P Nor do they care enough to try and figure out where the gap is.
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:26 pm

Oh, I see. I though you meant that you know there is a problem, but your character doesn't know it :lol:
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:18 pm

Sometimes announcing a death brings unwanted visitors.
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:45 pm

It hurts the simulation, because what information is, or isn't, conveyed has major effects on societies.

That's the opposite of hurting the simulation. There's a reason there is classified/secret information in Governments.

Announcing deaths can bring unwanted attention.

The framing of this question is really interesting, you're coming from a position of assuming it is the cultural norm and almost a CR to not announce everything on the radio - which is a really strange claim to make.

Radios, culturally, are seeing a decline in use and people are becoming more sheltered within their own communities. As there are less characters, society is shrinking and there's less "globalisation" as such. It would absolutely be a CRB to make a radio announcement due to this reminder on the forum and is absolutely a CRB to convey radio news just because you OOCly think it is important.

The fact is, we're not seeing radio messages because it's culturally not the norm. And that is as within the rules as it gets.
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:34 am

...There's a reason there is classified/secret information in Governments.

Sure, but I'm not talking about secret/classified information. I'm talking about newsworthy information.

Announcing deaths can bring unwanted attention.

In some cases, it can. Agreed. Though, most deaths wouldn't fall into that case.

It would absolutely be a CRB to make a radio announcement due to this reminder on the forum and is absolutely a CRB to convey radio news just because you OOCly think it is important.

Agreed. I don't think anyone is suggesting that people do either of those things.

The fact is, we're not seeing radio messages because it's culturally not the norm. And that is as within the rules as it gets.

It may indeed be becoming the norm, but every place likely has people still from before the times of the big population losses. There are plenty of chars who remember the busy radio days. They didn't just forget. If it is becoming the norm, especially for young characters who may experience a less globalized world, it still seems like the "oldies" would be communicating even if the young ones don't. We're only talking about several in-game years ago, not ancient history.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:43 am

Honestly a lot probably has to do with the quality of the responses you get when you use the radio for more than a simple "Hi, how are you?" Nobody wants to say much because there's always that guy probably lurking behind a receiver somewhere. At least that's my experience.
Mafia Salad

Postby Mafia Salad » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:05 am

Most of my characters are either almost always outside or could care less about radio messages since they have no idea who any of these people are or why they matter. Some straight up ignore the radio (I'm skim over all radio chatter on that character). One would enthusiastically repeat every mundane radio test to the whole town as she hears them if other people weren't so annoyed by that kind of behavior. And 3 or 4 have had conversations with other characters in town about what is going on on the radio like if they were watching the game at the local bar/pub.

Without exception - all of my characters who have shown interest in the radio in one way or another have had at least one older character dismiss the radio as noisy or worse, and about half of them have taken that opinion to heart.
Fortune Cookie Says:
You should consider a career change, you'd make an excellent doormat.

[quote]1441-7: You skillfully kill a racoon using a broom.[/quote]

Return to “General Discussion”