Things you wish characters would do

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

MattWithoos

Things you wish characters would do

Postby MattWithoos » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:17 am

I'll start...

I was just thinking it would be awesome if players had their characters start actual shopfronts.

I was thinking about it the other day, wondering why there weren't any walk-in shops. I wondered if it was for a lack of features or mechanics, but it's not - we have everything we need.

I think it's because... you know... we can write everything down on a note and hand that out.

I wish, for the sake of roleplay and creating a rich, vibrant world of descriptions, we could have real shops that have specially-made goods, piles of food, tools, weapons all locked behind a cabinet or shelf of some kind (it's possible right?). Leave the doors open and let people wander in and ask for prices.

I think I'm going to try this, but I'm not sure I have any characters who can do it right now...

What's everyone's thoughts? Would you like to see this happen? If so why? Why not? Why do you think it hasn't been done much? Have you seen it happen? Did it work? Was it fun? Did it add to the game?
HFrance

Re: Things you wish characters would do

Postby HFrance » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:30 am

Search for storage:
wood display case
and
wheeled display case (portable)
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Cantr is like Vegas - what happens in the game should be in the game.
"It's a virtual world, not a theme park!" (Richard Bartle)
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:48 am

Oh excellent, thank you. I wasn't 100% clear on what would do the job - but I knew it was out there (I've never looked). I guess the question is - why aren't more people doing this?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:23 am

I met one guy who, when I asked for a list of things to sale, said he didn't believe in lists and instead hauled in a wheeled display case. That totally blew my character's mind, "Now I'll be damned, I didn't know such things existed!"
Not-so-sad panda
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:39 am

The late Louisa of L&L used to do that. You went into her shop and could browse around at her already made clothes and all the designs she had in the works. My character loved to shop there.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:01 pm

MattWithoos wrote:I was thinking about it the other day, wondering why there weren't any walk-in shops. I wondered if it was for a lack of features or mechanics, but it's not - we have everything we need.

I think it's because... you know... we can write everything down on a note and hand that out

I think I'm going to try this, but I'm not sure I have any characters who can do it right now...

Why do you think it hasn't been done much?

Features and mechanics might exist, but the display cases are still relatively new and require a resource that previously had only a very specific use as well as not being in too many places.
Contrary to popular belief, not everyone does actually have great big huge hoarded stores of all resources... :lol: Of course there are some hoarded stashes, but it doesn't mean it's of the right stuff. So, there - I believe - lies part of the reason...that it simply takes time to achieve such a goal.

You also have to take into account that not everyone is going to want to own a shop, or has an interesting idea for one. Or perhaps they just don't have the RL time to spend on creating the descriptions to make it work the way they'd like.

You stated yourself that you don't think any of yours could do it right now - is that because they don't have the resources to do it, or because the character has no interest, or something else?

Certainly for those with an interest in trading, it probably makes sense to them to be a travelling sort, rather than sitting in a shop in a town just waiting for someone to come visit. There isn't the same level of passing trade that there is in real life - other characters would have to hear about the shop and make a trip specifically to have a look. And they might not bother if it's on the other side of the island (or a different one!) selling things that they can easily make from resources in a neighbouring town.

A lot of newspawns don't seem to have a clue what they want to do, they expect to get told. Those seem to be the ones that keep popping up in the towns where leaders will tell them they'll help them set something up if they have a plan. Perhaps the ones with a plan keep spawning in sleepy towns and end up going to sleep themselves without making any attempt at the idea.

There's loads of possible reasons, but I do believe it is something that will slowly happen over time.

And that was a lot more than I intended to write...
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:00 pm

My experience is that customers rarely come to you, they expect you to come to them. You have to be very famous and in a coastal town with high traffic before you can hope to get enough visitors to make keeping a shop worthwhile.
Not-so-sad panda
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:15 pm

One of my chars had that idea and she has been saving, creating nice objects since long. A building has been set and some examples has been prepared as gifts and promotion. But she has lost her will after losing her partner and muse. Recently trying to find it back.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:39 am

Recently mine needs to start a soup and sandwich shop.....
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:48 am

:lol: With lots of broth...el
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:27 am

MonkeyPants4736 wrote::lol: With lots of broth...el

Exactly LOL!!!!
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:32 am

Somebody has to say it:
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!

Return to “General Discussion”