Opinions on emoting in two languages?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Do you emote in a language other than your characters', to make it easier for non-native speakers?

Yes, I do this occasionally or frequently
70%
No, but I want to do this from now on
No votes
No, I've never needed to and/or don't plan to in the future
30%

Total votes: 23
returner

Opinions on emoting in two languages?

Postby returner » Thu May 12, 2016 12:23 am

So we've all encountered language groups other than our own before. I often emote in English, but sometimes to make life easier for the Polish folk (it's always Polish people I encounter!) I'll do *he smiles at the man / on uśmiecha się do człowieka* or something to that effect. Obviously no words are spoken in the other language as none of my characters have learned Polish.

So what does everyone do now? Do you emote in the other language to be mindful of others, save them having to Google the emote? If not, do you support this or are you against it?
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
Wolfsong

Re: Opinions on emoting in two languages?

Postby Wolfsong » Thu May 12, 2016 1:53 am

I'm not fluent enough to emote anything more than nod, smile, etc. If I was, though, I would.
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Thu May 12, 2016 2:03 am

Considering the wiki has an international emote page with basic emote translations in most of the languages, this should be more common than it is.

But I think a lot of the English folk take it for granted that English is widely understood.

I have done this in the past but I'm one of those emote heavy people so it's safer not to try to translate a paragraph of emote lol unless I'm naturally fluent (I've never encountered the language's I'm fluent with IG). I will however try to use more formal English words and words that don't have two meanings when I enter an English emote in say PZ because I know some of them are plugging it into Google translate and I want them to have a better chance of understanding lol

I never mind whether people emote in whatever language they want. If Im not familiar with it translators do an OK job of letting me understand what's up.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Thu May 12, 2016 2:13 am

I think I have done this with simple emotes before, but that was a long time ago, and mostly Polish. My Spanish character never met any English ones. I haven't really had the opportunity to do so this time around. I think I've met two non-English characters, one that spoke English okay, but only around for a day or so and the other that left too quickly (there less than an hour) for me to even react (and was actually a language I had never encountered in game before, so that was interesting!).

I am with Rebma on not translating very heavy emotes, though. I translate enough weird English book summaries into Spanish regularly for work to have any desire to bungle up my silly emotes in any other language, even with a translator! Haha.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Thu May 12, 2016 4:04 am

I do it for English and Spanish. I haven't run into any French characters since sort of learning French, nor any Esperanto ever, so I don't for those. And my German and Polish absolutely suck. Mam na imię Snickie. Lubię ciasteczka.

I don't even bother with the Spanish when I'm in an otherwise purely English-speaking town. I think I make it pretty obvious I'm not a native Spanish speaker. XD

Dobranoc
Bonan nokton
Bonsoir
Auf Wiedersehen
Alutka

Postby Alutka » Thu May 12, 2016 6:18 am

My Polish chars always emote in English when there are some awake English speaking chars around. I do not bother with emoting in two languages. Novadays everyone has to learn English at school, so I believe that people are able to understand emotes, even if they do not feel good at English enough to emote in English themselves. Perhaps this question should be posted on other language groups forums and see what they think?
“Man sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. He is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Thu May 12, 2016 6:15 pm

I emote in English if all the characters appear to speak good English. In Polish zones and when directed at non-English-speaking Polish characters (e.g. back when I had a character sometimes visit Port Gallagher) I try to emote *[emote in english]/[emote in Polish]* so the separation was clear. I don't actually speak Polish so I left the English in so that players of Polish characters who understood any English wouldn't find that my bad translation actually reduced understandability.

My German character is in a German/Spanish mixed town where everyone emotes in a terrifying mixture of English, Spanish and German. I try all three when I can.

I figure even when I can't do better than Google translate it'll make it easier for people on less tab-switchable devices than me, but my emote-heavy characters tend to go very still in non-English zones since I hate knowing the mess Google makes of things XD
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Fri May 13, 2016 4:30 am

When emoting with non-English characters with a non-English character, generally I use English, and I've seen other characters I've interacted with do the same. If my character is the only one speaking a different language, I might try to emote something simple in the other language, like "smiles," for example. If Spanish and Portuguese characters interact they could probably understand each other's emotes anyway without using English.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
returner

Postby returner » Fri May 13, 2016 7:54 am

Joshuamonkey wrote:When emoting with non-English characters with a non-English character, generally I use English, and I've seen other characters I've interacted with do the same. If my character is the only one speaking a different language, I might try to emote something simple in the other language, like "smiles," for example. If Spanish and Portuguese characters interact they could probably understand each other's emotes anyway without using English.

I didn't know that and wouldn't ever get to experience that situation, so I find it incredibly interesting that two non-English speaking characters will sometimes emote in English!
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.

Return to “General Discussion”