Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Re: Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

Postby Genie » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:52 pm

gudgeon wrote:
Genie wrote:wiping off the towns and killing possibilities of an area, destroying the characters with roleplay background has no use for the game and never been fruitful beyond stirring a brief movement.

When I started to play a few weeks ago, I used to believe that if an attacker finds your char when you are offline, your char is likely to die. It was based on those "massacres" described in old threads. But now I find out that it is actually not so easy to kill a character, at least with current mechanisms. Those deaths are either the result of exploit that is now obsolete, or actually the negligence of defense. It is likely no longer possible to destroy a town, unless, the town only consists of 2 or 3 people who don't log in at least once a day, and the attackers are in much larger number and equipped with best weapons. Unless it involves OOC cooperation, I think it is unreasonable to blame a player for attacking characters who have good roleplay but disregard defense.

Welcome! :)
It usually depends on the skills of the attacker and receiver. For example some chars are able to give high damage and with a little bit luck and cooperation it's not too difficult to kill a moderate char if they aren't awake for the very moment to immediately heal themselves like in ten minutes. In some towns there can be a few people (for example trying to build a new city, not a popular area, they are just visiting there for getting some materials, passing by and fell asleep just in the weekend) or when their leaders die other chars may not want to stay in that town anymore. Also once an area is marked as unsafe or safely growing that changes the trading routes.
However don't get me wrong, I'm not defending a totally pacific game playing. Just things are not always "Hurraayy for the violence!" and not everyone wants to live in the large communities or always moving as packs to aviod the attacks. Many are enjoying to have different experiences with the different characters, playing the game as widely as they can.
About Ooc: It's hard to point at a direction in every case, but it stirs doubts if a character is being targeted by the multiple characters of another player or when a violent character suddenly pities someone for no logical reasons and holds grudge to the other etc.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:30 am

zymurge wrote:
SekoETC wrote:
DylPickle wrote:Newspawns who just never say or do anything. What the hell?

It's probably a player who didn't want to spawn in that town due to OOC reasons. They take one look around and think "It's never going to work anyway, so I'm not going to waste my time trying".

I've seen this happen in both very busy and somewhat quiet spots. I don't know if the chance to work out is the driver.

My opinion, and maybe I'm a bit more pessimistic about people, is that there are some that only want characters that are going to be good fighters. So if they spawn with below average strength, which they can see without taking any visible action, they abandon the character.

I have some sleepers honestly, but the reason is far from having any relation with being good or bad prospects of fighters. Actually some of my most beloved characters started as weak and clumsy fighters and I have at least one that could ve a pit gladiator probably, but I described and honestly play the character as everything but a fighter. Weak, short, and totally dedicated to some other things. Sure, the char would totally survive a brawl. But I would totally rp that as dur to its luck than its skill and physique.

So the whole idea is that not always idling newspawns are sleepers cuz their skills. In my case they're so cuz they don't have a chance for becoming interesting both to play and yo have around as how I see them.
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:46 am

I don't think it's fair to assume conflict always makes the game better for everyone. I used to play daily when it was just roleplay, my characters, their friends and lovers, crafting, exploring an open world, all things I enjoyed in a game. But when things get all about pirate play and drama, I stop playing. Now dozens of characters are whining that my characters aren't wakeful to help them, well if I hadn't been disgusted by all the recent violence, I'd feel like actually playing. But now my heart is so out of the game it's all I can do to keep my characters fed. This was my favorite and most played game since 2011, but violence chases me away so fast, I can play a hundred games with senseless, plotless violence, every game has that, it isn't special or riveting in any way, it's just "oh look more nastiness, nastiness is everywhere even in our fantasy worlds, yay". And I come to cantr when I'm bored and fed up with those other games, not for more of the same. It adds nothing of value most of the time and rarely, very rarely turns out in an actual interesting storyline. if people could cool it with the over the top violence, I'd love to return and regularly play my favorite RP open world game again. But if anyone thought the violence was fun but now you're bored with the sleepy leaders after their lives were jumbled around for everyone's entertainment, might want to think about how those two things correlate, just saying. People repeatedly insinuate that violence will liven things up, but after every war or pirate incident, here are the towns even sleepier than before, the incident causes a temporary wakefulness for a few days or years and then it's back, because it's essentially just forcing players to play but not n their own terms, it didn't actually add to characters' lives or give them a real goal, just messes with players like "hey you better play this game like it's your actual job for a week or you'll lose your character haha, you better give up your sleep schedule to catch that sailing tick or your screwed, isn't this motivating?"
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:41 am

I agree that roleplay can be fun on its own. After all, roleplay is the core of the game. But for new players, sometimes it is difficult to participate in the activities of the "friends and lovers". It can feel like a podcast, where the topic is interesting, and the interaction is great, but you are an audience, unable to be part of it. This is especially true for those who are not good writers or are not particularly good at producing witty or humorous conversation, which is probably the majority of new players, as new players are just a sample of average population on the internet. Action, on the other hand, can be readily participated in, and anyone with good intention to play the game can get in character and have something to say or act.
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:28 am

Personally I think that extremes are actually what kills any rp game. A game without conflict is, IMO, as dull as a game all about conflict and with no rp juice at all; with no interactio, no rich stories.
All the events that created the Djorf's kingdom, that gave birth to the Mc Gregors, that ended being the crucible for the Rangers, and that at some point struggled with the Emerald Empire... All those absurdly rich stories were forged with both sides of the coin. Nothing of that would have never been possible only with conflict or either rp alone. Lots of deep, heart touching stories were written at the heat of those events. Lots of laughs and lots of tears.

I said it many times and I'll always say it: I don't mind losing my characters if with their loss comes some good ground for good stories to grow and bloom on their graves. And I know that if somehow any of my characters managed to leave a footprint, at some point some other of my chars will step on that same footprint probably.

Nothing is really lost. Everything changes and is transformed (again, IMO).

But I think this thread is now losing its way, so it's my turn!

The lack of speedometers annoys me. How can a car come with no speedometer at all?! :P
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:59 am

Violence isn't always senseless, even if it might seem so without all the information. For example, when Marble Forsythe took over Offering's ship and locked her up, he and his companions must have believed that their vengeance was justified, whereas from Offering's point of view, it came totally out of the blue.

Or if we go back to an even further event, my character Gahak Jordan attacked Olip Forest and got killed by the defenders. From their point of view, the attack may have seemed pointless, but it all originated from an event where he had offended a Stone Knight by calling him out for not introducing himself and continuing a whispered conversation instead, even though Gahak had never directly asked for introductions, it was all a petty feud. After they got in an argument, Gahak took off his tunic and dropped his shield, saying the Stone Knight could hit him once, and then they would be through. A newspawn stole his tunic and no one did anything to catch him. Thus started a grudge towards all Stone Knights.

If someone is going to stop playing all of their characters due to what happened to one of them, that's being affected by OOC information and if you're so disappointed in the game, it's better to quit. It might seem like communities can't survive without them but the world always moves on. Heck, I thought Klojt couldn't survive without Coventina, but apparently it's still doing just fine. I haven't seen it myself but I've heard it's still a thing. I don't know what sort of pirate groups the game has nowadays or what their motivations are, but I assume that if a pirate ran into a character who's good at rp'ing, they would come up with an excuse to let them live.
Not-so-sad panda
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:04 pm

I think the point people were making here was all of the recent attacks and raids that happened due to some obvious multi character abuse. Someone has been grouping their characters together to absolutely grief some areas of the world.

General violence has been a contentious topic since as long as I've played. Long ago it used to be commonplace but somewhere along the way Cantr players settled in to a mostly peaceful mode of playing, and disruption of that peace tends to get to some players pretty twisted up.

...when Marble Forsythe took over Offering's ship and locked her up, he and his companions must have believed that their vengeance was justified.

Yeah, Marble felt totally justified. :wink: But to be fair, Marble never once harmed anyone. He didn't even take part in dragging Offering off that ship.

As for cars and their lack of speedometers, I don't let something like that stop me from rp'ing it. There's also no physical steering wheel or brakes or gas pedal but my characters rp them all the time.
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:13 am

Millhouse wrote:
As for cars and their lack of speedometers, I don't let something like that stop me from rp'ing it. There's also no physical steering wheel or brakes or gas pedal but my characters rp them all the time.

Never said it was gonna prevent me from playing :D. I was just trying to return the thread back to its right way.

MY TURN AGAIN!!

Something that really annoys me is that one of my characters is totally capable of dragging someone alive, but once that person dies I can't move the body!! Even with the help of an improved wheelbarrow.
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:48 am

Rocket Frog wrote:Something that really annoys me is that one of my characters is totally capable of dragging someone alive, but once that person dies I can't move the body!! Even with the help of an improved wheelbarrow.

When a person completely relaxes his muscles, the body becomes unwieldy. A person becomes much heavier when he's drunk... :mrgreen:

One thing that puzzles me: You can hunt moose, or even elephant, with a fierce sparrowhawk... :lol:
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:30 pm

gudgeon wrote:

One thing that puzzles me: You can hunt moose, or even elephant, with a fierce sparrowhawk... :lol:

-: Sparrowhawk, use DRILL PECK on that elephant!!
(sparrowhawk) -: SPAAAAARRR!!

I'm annoyed by the fact that even having a sword you can't parry an attack.
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:25 am

Not annoyed, but upset and kind of sad.

How some rp went from X to 0 in a blink and the other char just simply walked away without a word. I guess it was coming anyway.
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:34 am

Rocket Frog wrote:Not annoyed, but upset and kind of sad.

How some rp went from X to 0 in a blink and the other char just simply walked away without a word. I guess it was coming anyway.

I think sometimes the surroundings make the RP drop. I know for me, It is a holiday weekend, A family member just had a major surgery... and so I have been distracted.

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:45 am

I also notice that it's usually quieter in weekend.
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:25 pm

Sunni Daez wrote:
Rocket Frog wrote:Not annoyed, but upset and kind of sad.

I think sometimes the surroundings make the RP drop. I know for me, It is a holiday weekend, A family member just had a major surgery... and so I have been distracted.

No, I think it was something else. But at least it could have ended with some rp :/.
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:07 pm

Agreed.

Run...Dragon...Run!!!

Return to “General Discussion”