Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

miirkaelisaar

Re: Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

Postby miirkaelisaar » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:46 pm

when someone wants to kill your character for sleeping too long, but when you ask what's up and to let you go, now they're sleeepy. Bro I'm a 32 year old man, I have stuff to do IRL, your entertainment isn't my job, you can't be mad because I don't wake up, you can move on. I shouldn't be forced to give up my weekend to stare at a screen so you can play a game. It's the freaking HOLIDAYS, what's wrong with people on this game? You don't understand holidays are busy times for us grown ups?
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
Wasindear
GAB Member/ProgD Chair/GM Member

Postby Wasindear » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:39 am

Characters who act entitled wind me up so much xD
Like dude, you have been alive for 10 days, we aren't going you let you have free access to communal supplies xDD
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:59 pm

Wasindear wrote:Characters who act entitled wind me up so much xD
Like dude, you have been alive for 10 days, we aren't going you let you have free access to communal supplies xDD

Right, or how about when they spawn, say their name, and then stare at everyone silently for days and days, only speaking up to say "I'd really love a [boat/car/bus/etc.] to go trade for the town" as if they give one hoot about the town, and keep asking for work but then complaining about the work because they wanted to get stuff way faster. Or they just never speak to anyone, then they get mad that they aren't getting given stuff by people they won't even make small talk with and decides everyone there is a jerk. And then someone else spawns, is open and friendly, helps around town without anyone even asking, makes connections with people, and gets some free things from people who like them. And then Antisocial Andy starts whining and whining about how he never got a free whatever he wanted, when he asked. It's so rich.
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:34 am

When you really want a new character but every time you try to get rid of one of your old boring ones you feel like you're putting down a pet and you feel sad and guilty and give up even though it's not real and this is silly :( I wish I was less sensitive, it's just a concept, it's just something I wrote, it's not my child or pet or a real person, but I guess 11 or 12 years of writing a character is a really hard band-aid to rip off, Idk why I can never do it, in all these years playing this game I never could kill one off yet, I only lost my very first one to a murder and that wrecked me too, it's so dumb and frustrating.
Wasindear

Postby Wasindear » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:03 pm

miirkaelisaar wrote:When you really want a new character but every time you try to get rid of one of your old boring ones you feel like you're putting down a pet and you feel sad and guilty and give up even though it's not real and this is silly :( I wish I was less sensitive, it's just a concept, it's just something I wrote, it's not my child or pet or a real person, but I guess 11 or 12 years of writing a character is a really hard band-aid to rip off, Idk why I can never do it, in all these years playing this game I never could kill one off yet, I only lost my very first one to a murder and that wrecked me too, it's so dumb and frustrating.

Me too, every time I feel like I have too many, I look at their list of names and just can't bring myself to do it xD (and I've only been playing for like 2 years so can't even imaginge if it was more than a decade)

It's never too late for an old boring character to become and old exciting character! Inspiration strikes at any age :D
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:05 am

Wasindear wrote:
miirkaelisaar wrote:When you really want a new character but every time you try to get rid of one of your old boring ones you feel like you're putting down a pet and you feel sad and guilty and give up even though it's not real and this is silly :( I wish I was less sensitive, it's just a concept, it's just something I wrote, it's not my child or pet or a real person, but I guess 11 or 12 years of writing a character is a really hard band-aid to rip off, Idk why I can never do it, in all these years playing this game I never could kill one off yet, I only lost my very first one to a murder and that wrecked me too, it's so dumb and frustrating.

Me too, every time I feel like I have too many, I look at their list of names and just can't bring myself to do it xD (and I've only been playing for like 2 years so can't even imaginge if it was more than a decade)

It's never too late for an old boring character to become and old exciting character! Inspiration strikes at any age :D

Yeah, I'm trying to do that with most of them. But a couple just have nothing going for them, and no prospects. One I was going to kill off I decided to keep because there's like a tiny bit of potential still and they're still kind of a happy person, but one I think I'm actually, finally gonna cut off. It's really hard because that one is the one who was closest to a self-insert of my own shortcomings and internal issues, so the fact that they were always mistreated and unloved, really hits home, and killing them feels like killing a part of myself. I actually did try, I had that character speak more in the last couple of months than the entire 11.8 years I've been playing them, trying fruitlessly to have them make friends or small talk or something. But then someone reminded them why no one cares and making friends is stupid. And suddenly I feel nothing, this character is suffering so badly, that to leave it alive is just ridiculous.

At least I'll have one new slot lmao
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:24 pm

I've never related more to a cheesy soap opera than I do when playing cantr. Everyone's husband is in a coma. What's the etiquette on how long you wait through a coma before you move on? I guess I need to go watch some soap operas and figure it out lol, dude this is so sad.
Wasindear

Postby Wasindear » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:35 am

miirkaelisaar wrote:I've never related more to a cheesy soap opera than I do when playing cantr. Everyone's husband is in a coma. What's the etiquette on how long you wait through a coma before you move on? I guess I need to go watch some soap operas and figure it out lol, dude this is so sad.

It's why I like to play relationship anarchists xDD
I'm too old for drama! Miss me with that.
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Wed May 03, 2023 3:49 am

okay this is not normal y'all, it can't be, I can't contain it any longer, I'm at my wit's end here. If you were in Genesis and met knivesfinejewelry, he has spawned like 5 characters in regular cantr all in towns where mine are, even small towns or towns I'm just visiting for a day, it's starting to creep me out and wear on my nerves, every day I have to babysit this guy and I'm not enjoying the game anymore, it's just like constant trolling, it's like youtube poop in the middle of my fucking RPG, this isn't cool. Is this really normal for someone's characters to all spawn where mine are? I thought the algorithm went for busy, active towns first, I'll be next to a busier town and he spawns where I am with only 2 other people, not even talking for days. Add on top of that the uncanny way this player acts like a bot or AI pretending to be human, refusing to understand simple concepts and just blurting random things like "this game is really cool!", is the game hacked? How is he spawning by my characters every time after I gave him a hard time in Genesis trying to explain things to him? That's not a coincidence. Why does he not act like a human being and talks to himself? Can someone investigate this? I'm sure they're a bot or at least totally trolling because you have to actually try to be this belligerent and clueless, or not be a real person. I know 3 year olds who communicate and can understand something as simple as "a description is what you look like, not what you dream of being one day". Tell me I'm not crazy.
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Thu May 04, 2023 6:14 am

miirkaelisaar wrote:okay this is not normal y'all, it can't be, I can't contain it any longer, I'm at my wit's end here. If you were in Genesis and met knivesfinejewelry, he has spawned like 5 characters in regular cantr all in towns where mine are, even small towns or towns I'm just visiting for a day, it's starting to creep me out and wear on my nerves, every day I have to babysit this guy and I'm not enjoying the game anymore, it's just like constant trolling, it's like youtube poop in the middle of my fucking RPG, this isn't cool. Is this really normal for someone's characters to all spawn where mine are? I thought the algorithm went for busy, active towns first, I'll be next to a busier town and he spawns where I am with only 2 other people, not even talking for days. Add on top of that the uncanny way this player acts like a bot or AI pretending to be human, refusing to understand simple concepts and just blurting random things like "this game is really cool!", is the game hacked? How is he spawning by my characters every time after I gave him a hard time in Genesis trying to explain things to him? That's not a coincidence. Why does he not act like a human being and talks to himself? Can someone investigate this? I'm sure they're a bot or at least totally trolling because you have to actually try to be this belligerent and clueless, or not be a real person. I know 3 year olds who communicate and can understand something as simple as "a description is what you look like, not what you dream of being one day". Tell me I'm not crazy.

Please contact staff about any OOC talk that disturbs you :)

I think your characters have a power of making places more active in the period you hang out there. The spawning algorithm prefers to spawn people into places with more events happening. From my own experience, it's not an outlier to have 5 characters spawn in 5 places that end up having a character of the same player in them, also remember they might have been spawning more characters that end up in other places, that you haven't seen.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Finch

Postby Finch » Thu May 04, 2023 9:57 pm

While we're on the topic of poorly played, borderline-capital-rule-breach characters, what about all these Potator Trademarks? I mean, maybe if there was ONE annoying robot character then it would be fine, but it seems kind of anti-Cantr to let there be so many of them. I thought it was a CRB to have multiple copies of the same character? It makes Cantr less fun when you're trying to interact with the character and they're staunchly rejecting any semblance of, like, being a human.
Are we just letting anything fly, nowadays?
The human version of the one hundred emoji
Vega

Postby Vega » Tue May 09, 2023 8:08 am

Finch wrote:While we're on the topic of poorly played, borderline-capital-rule-breach characters, what about all these Potator Trademarks?

Curious about this too.

Finch wrote:I thought it was a CRB to have multiple copies of the same character?

This.
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Wed May 10, 2023 3:03 pm

Potator's player also told me ooc that their motivation was to rack up time on regular cantr "to spawn instantly [in Genesis] as an aged character depending on collective amount of days survived as other characters". Then said that this doesn't count as ooc since it's just the character's religious belief. But I think that spawning carbon copy characters and essentially breaking the RPG for everyone else, shooting down RP and mucking things up, just to NOT play cantr so you can use some weird mechanic to upgrade to a better Genesis character, should be considered a rule infraction, if nothing else, it should be considered trollish and spammy. It completely obliterates RP because how are my characters supposed to react if they go to another town, and another town, and every town has the same guy? It's supernatural, and supernatural elements like that are forbidden, I thought, things that would actually disrupt and powerplay everyone else's RP performance. He also likes to shoot down RP, like if someone RPs that they're cold in winter, he says that you can't be discomforted by something that doesn't put damage percentage on your damage meter. Like we didn't literally freaking implement weather mostly for RP purposes and so clothes would have a point (which he also claims have no point mechanically and refuses to wear, not for RP reasons like nudism, but because there's no mechanic benefit to clothing for his leveling up goals).

And all of his characters have the exact same train of thought and motivation, which is super confusing for me when he's in 5 or 6 of my towns because it makes ME forget who I am playing too. If Potator in 3 towns wants to build a pool for "maximum training benefits" now I get confused when I'm reading my character because I can't remember which Potator is which, and which said what, or what I've said to which one, because everything they say is so similar. It confuses and muddles events between my towns in my memory, there's a reason people need to play varied characters, if even two of someone's characters behave exactly the same and two of mine are involved with those two, I will start confusing them and typing the wrong name and stuff, forgetting what I said as my character because, say I forget which of my characters said this thing to Potator the other day, and if I bring it up again I might be saying it as the wrong character, just as one example. It kills the immersion, and furthermore one of the most important parts of the game is anonymity, not only between the game and real life, but between characters too, it's our right to not know which characters are all played by the same person, so we can immerse ourselves in gameplay, if it happens naturally because we're just good at picking things up, oh well, but when someone spawns all their characters en-masse and all the same, now everyone knows that person is in all of their towns, with all of their characters, watching everything they do, there's no more anonymity across-world, you can't even RP that they aren't the same person, if your character travels somewhere and meets another one, because how would your character pretend they're not seeing the exact same person? It would feel like he's following your character around and it would be like a paranormal event that you couldn't ignore in-game, and that seems kind of wrong like god moding even.

I have no problem at all with people who play a robotic working character and I've had success with them in the past and appreciated them just lending a hand to all the work, but when you make multiple and give them all the exact same name, exact same actions, and exact same goals and speeches and motivation, it confuses other people who are trying to tell their own characters apart and play the game right.

Quoted below for clarification of ooc motive and explanation:

7531-4: Potator Trademark (Klojt) (a man in his twenties) says to you: "(ooc: Genesis is not a part of main Cantr world anyway, so strategic knowledge of sites here won't help me at all. I wanted the statement to sound like religous gibberish, so it won't count as ooc information at all. I didn't state the mechanic directly. It was supposted to be a personal deranged belief, since Potator Trademark is disabled socially.)"
7531-4: Potator Trademark (Klojt) (a man in his twenties) gives you a note titled --.
7531-4: You say to Gagnon Maignon (a man in his twenties): "Just that he thinks there's a place where you can choose to spawn old if you've lived another life already, or something like that."
7531-4: You give a note titled -- to Potator Trademark (Klojt) (a man in his twenties).
7531-4: Gagnon Maignon (a man in his twenties) says to you: "dear god whadda he say?"
7531-4: Potator Trademark (Klojt) (a man in his twenties) says to you: "(ooc:Genesis server lets players spawn instantly as aged character depending on collective amount of days survived as other characters. If only I knew that earlier.)"
7531-4: You say: "I'm a little confused though, I thought reincarnation refers to dying and respawning again. I don't think people can spawn old, you would have to live and become old in this life, to become an old man. Unless this alternative plane you speak of is one where people spawn different ages? That would certainly be confusing, I think."
7531-4: Potator Trademark (Klojt) (a man in his twenties) says: "Affirmative. Site's religious freedom confirmed."
7531-4: You say: "I was just referring to reincarnation and reference to alternative planes of existence, that would classify as a religious or spiritual belief, everyone has their individual convictions in that respect."
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Wed May 10, 2023 3:22 pm

miirkaelisaar wrote:
7531-4: Potator Trademark (Klojt) (a man in his twenties) says to you: "(ooc:Genesis server lets players spawn instantly as aged character depending on collective amount of days survived as other characters. If only I knew that earlier.)"

This is not true.

In the "olden" days, when Genesis was just for new players, mentor characters of active players spawned at 40, maybe he's confused about that, but otherwise all characters in Genesis just spawn at 20, like usual.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Finch

Postby Finch » Wed May 10, 2023 9:46 pm

Also, as an /actual/ CRB from Potator, the character has been talking in-game about very specific game mechanisms that the character should not reasonably know. They also have been using (OOC:) inappropriately. In one case, the player tried to start an argument with me over semantics. In another, Potator was asked not to do something by a town leader, and the player responded OOC to say they wouldn't be doing that thing because it didn't optimise game mechanics. I can provide screenshots of both examples if needed.
I agree with Miirk that it just ruins parts of the game to have the same character littered around the place.

Edit: I've also submitted my concerns via the CRB reporting tool in Cantr, but didn't hear back, hence why I'm posting here, too.
The human version of the one hundred emoji

Return to “General Discussion”