Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

PaintedbyRoses

Re: Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:44 pm

Not sure if I'm puzzled or annoyed or puzzloyed but holy smokes with all the rain. Is Cantr about to reset by having a flood of Biblical proportions?
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:02 pm

Newspawns who just never say or do anything. What the hell?

Even a new player has made it in from the rookie island, no?

I can't say I've ever had a spawn not at least emote something.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:15 pm

DylPickle wrote:Newspawns who just never say or do anything. What the hell?

It's probably a player who didn't want to spawn in that town due to OOC reasons. They take one look around and think "It's never going to work anyway, so I'm not going to waste my time trying".
Not-so-sad panda
zymurge

Postby zymurge » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:50 pm

SekoETC wrote:

It's probably a player who didn't want to spawn in that town due to OOC reasons. They take one look around and think "It's never going to work anyway, so I'm not going to waste my time trying".

I've seen this happen in both very busy and somewhat quiet spots. I don't know if the chance to work out is the driver.

My opinion, and maybe I'm a bit more pessimistic about people, is that there are some that only want characters that are going to be good fighters. So if they spawn with below average strength, which they can see without taking any visible action, they abandon the character.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:09 pm

zymurge wrote:
SekoETC wrote:

I've seen this happen in both very busy and somewhat quiet spots. I don't know if the chance to work out is the driver.

My opinion, and maybe I'm a bit more pessimistic about people, is that there are some that only want characters that are going to be good fighters. So if they spawn with below average strength, which they can see without taking any visible action, they abandon the character.

It's probably a bit of both. People also just make throwaway characters they turn in to newspawns thieves. Maybe someone hoping to spawn at a specific place to target.

I know that I've spawned characters in places that I previously left because I hated it there. It's not fun. But I've always just found a way to leave again. I've never spawned a character I didn't try to play. Never cared terribly much about fighting skills though.
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Thu May 28, 2020 7:50 am

Some are also genuine new players who look around the game and then decide to quit. This is followed by death after 20 days. So there's many reasons for quiet newspawns
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Vega

Postby Vega » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:02 pm

When one of your characters does something that people likes...
But years later they don't remember their name and they say someone else did it :(
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
Void
Game Mechanics Member

Postby Void » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:54 am

When people complain that they want something done or some resource, but they dont want to go and get it because it takes too long. So they just sit, cry and complain because nobody is going to get it and bring it to them.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:13 pm

Probably somebody would get it for them if they paid enough. Or are these whiners and complainers people who are dirt poor and don't have a vehicle? If it's something like a town leader bemoaning that they don't have access to a resource, it's understandable they can't just up and leave to go get it because the town would fall apart and get robbed clean in the meanwhile, but if it's just some regular person with friends, there's really nothing stopping them from gathering up their group of friends and going to get the resource. They can socialize on the way there and everybody wins.
Not-so-sad panda
viktor

Postby viktor » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:36 am

very annoyed at what is obviously multiple chars from the same person attacking a character of mine and vicinity, unprovoked.

it gets pretty tiresome like what's the point? how do i know if there's any point of interacting with other characters of it's it's just some idiot who's in cantr just to make the game more miserable than it is from lack of population....
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:01 pm

viktor wrote:very annoyed at what is obviously multiple chars from the same person attacking a character of mine and vicinity, unprovoked.

it gets pretty tiresome like what's the point? how do i know if there's any point of interacting with other characters of it's it's just some idiot who's in cantr just to make the game more miserable than it is from lack of population....

So much this right now. I'm all for conflict and I enjoy it in the game, but it's gotten to the point of being nothing but dealing with this same issue from obviously the same player over and over and over again. What point is there for my characters and those around me to go on living their own rp lives and actually being who they are when we're constantly having to watch their backs because one person is constantly returning with multiple characters to attack and cause issues for the area. The issue with the area I"m in, has been reported to staff however and as far as I know they are looking into it. But it's very frustrating and tiring to TRY to actually even play the game in the area at this point. What once has been a favorite character of mine, has been dropped to the back burner and I play so much less because I am constantly having the same issue and it is not fun to play when you're wondering on a daily basis which is the next one to go freaking nuts on your character for no apparent reason.
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:37 am

I used to think there's no attack in the game now, but recently I just witnessed two pirate attacks, one successful, another failed. I personally think they make people more active. And if a new player happens to spawn their first char into a conflict, they're probably more likely to stay than if they spawn in a peaceful town where everyday people only log in to say hello, spar with a waster, a stick, or a pillow, do some romantic small talk, set up some crafting projects, and then log out. However, if the player forms his multiple chars into a squad, that is unfair, and will only harm the game.
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:54 am

gudgeon wrote:I used to think there's no attack in the game now, but recently I just witnessed two pirate attacks, one successful, another failed. I personally think they make people more active. And if a new player happens to spawn their first char into a conflict, they're probably more likely to stay than if they spawn in a peaceful town where everyday people only log in to say hello, spar with a waster, a stick, or a pillow, do some romantic small talk, set up some crafting projects, and then log out. However, if the player forms his multiple chars into a squad, that is unfair, and will only harm the game.

I agree with you at every word. I also think that having this kind of... "hostile semi-npcs" makes life more interesting, but there's a limit when someone forms a squad of his/her own characters and starts raiding everything around (tho I wouldn't care probably if it happens to me).
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:37 am

gudgeon wrote:I used to think there's no attack in the game now, but recently I just witnessed two pirate attacks, one successful, another failed. I personally think they make people more active. And if a new player happens to spawn their first char into a conflict, they're probably more likely to stay than if they spawn in a peaceful town where everyday people only log in to say hello, spar with a waster, a stick, or a pillow, do some romantic small talk, set up some crafting projects, and then log out. However, if the player forms his multiple chars into a squad, that is unfair, and will only harm the game.

Violence is a part of the game, but wiping off the towns and killing possibilities of an area, destroying the characters with roleplay background has no use for the game and never been fruitful beyond stirring a brief movement. Unfortunately I fail to see the value of just attacking the characters your char had never seen before just for just hitting or killing someone is fun. Meanwhile when someone reminds some city laws or better usage of the resources that's causing a drama. This is one of the things always puzzled me honestly. There are many ways of making good roleplay and I believe every Cantr player can make things more interesting while still minding the balances.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:06 pm

Genie wrote:wiping off the towns and killing possibilities of an area, destroying the characters with roleplay background has no use for the game and never been fruitful beyond stirring a brief movement.

When I started to play a few weeks ago, I used to believe that if an attacker finds your char when you are offline, your char is likely to die. It was based on those "massacres" described in old threads. But now I find out that it is actually not so easy to kill a character, at least with current mechanisms. Those deaths are either the result of exploit that is now obsolete, or actually the negligence of defense. It is likely no longer possible to destroy a town, unless, the town only consists of 2 or 3 people who don't log in at least once a day, and the attackers are in much larger number and equipped with best weapons. Unless it involves OOC cooperation, I think it is unreasonable to blame a player for attacking characters who have good roleplay but disregard defense.

Return to “General Discussion”