Animals domestication - finally there!

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Wasindear
GAB Member/ProgD Chair/GM Member

Re: Animals domestication - finally there!

Postby Wasindear » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:07 pm

miirkaelisaar wrote:Um, aren't animals who go hungry supposed to go back to wild rather than starving? We're having animals die that should be going back to wild, they were not in a pack, just sitting on the ground. Also there was a basket of feed and the animal was just adopted and only went hungry for a single day, is this normal?

The chance of an animal dedomesticating is proportional to how hungry they are. Starting at hungry and getting more and more likely per animals tick as it get hungrier and hungrier.

When an animal fails this check, it will return to the wild if it is outside and there is a wild pack of that animal present, otherwise it will die. It should not make a difference if the animal is in a domesticated pack or as an object.

Let me know if you have any questions or if any of what I said needs further clarification. :)
Wasindear

Postby Wasindear » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:09 pm

miirkaelisaar wrote:Um, aren't animals who go hungry supposed to go back to wild rather than starving? We're having animals die that should be going back to wild, they were not in a pack, just sitting on the ground. Also there was a basket of feed and the animal was just adopted and only went hungry for a single day, is this normal?

The chance of an animal dedomesticating is proportional to how hungry they are. Starting at hungry and getting more and more likely per animals tick as it get hungrier and hungrier.

When an animal fails this check, it should return to the wild if it is outside and there is a wild pack of that animal present, otherwise it will die. It should not make a difference if the animal is in a domesticated pack or as an object.

When an animal is tamed it starts off at the very bottom of Fed, if it goes without food the first time it tries to eat it will drop into hungry, but the chance of it reverting to wild will be low, as the level below Fed will also be low.

Let me know if you have any questions or if any of what I said needs further clarification. :)
Wasindear

Postby Wasindear » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:12 pm

When an animal fails this check, it will return to the wild if it is outside and there is a wild pack of that animal present, otherwise it will die. It should not make a difference if the animal is in a domesticated pack or as an object.

miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:49 pm

It's hard to remember the details since it was a while back, but I think someone had tamed a hawk or something, and they had a basket of feed on the ground even,after the first hunger notification, and it wasn't hungry or starving yet. The animal was successfully tamed, and within literally the next day, it died of starvation, even though there was feed in a basket, even though it had only been tamed for one day, and even though there was a wild pack that it should have joined back with, and not died. I don't know if this was a bug or has been fixed, this was like 2 years ago IRL so maybe it's not an issue, but it was definitely not following the parameters you just outlined.
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Thu May 04, 2023 6:20 am

miirkaelisaar wrote:It's hard to remember the details since it was a while back, but I think someone had tamed a hawk or something, and they had a basket of feed on the ground even,after the first hunger notification, and it wasn't hungry or starving yet. The animal was successfully tamed, and within literally the next day, it died of starvation, even though there was feed in a basket, even though it had only been tamed for one day, and even though there was a wild pack that it should have joined back with, and not died. I don't know if this was a bug or has been fixed, this was like 2 years ago IRL so maybe it's not an issue, but it was definitely not following the parameters you just outlined.

It's possible that it died because there was no more room in the wild pack, each wild animal has a maximum pack size.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Mon May 08, 2023 1:59 pm

Maybe, I don't recall the packs being very big. But also if the bird was just tamed a day before, how would its slot in the pack have been filled already? Wouldn't it have just freed up a spot, and then just take it again? Or did another spawn that quickly?

It's so confusing and weird.. this is why I kinda of hesitate to use animal domestication in many cases, it's so much more convoluted than it needs to be, that it's more hassle than benefit at this point. And taking up so many resource slots, makes it pretty much an unusable feature in any town that has less than like 8 resource slots. Some towns have literally 4 or 5 slots, if they have even 2 animals and then breed them to get a third to slaughter, they lose almost half their resource slots for basically one animal's production value. I think that's too much, it's overkill, absolutely. When a town has 5 slots and 3 animals and a potato harvester so now only 2 people in a town of 20 people can gather stuff, that's overkill. Either resource slots need to be increased where there's a standard minimum that provides leeway for domestication, or the domestication taking up so many resource slots should be changed.

Overpopulation of animals already has its own consequence: you have to feed them and it's really hard to do when there's more of them, even with a wakeful town I always have trouble making enough feed eventually and have to cull the entire farm and stop breeding them for years to recover from the labor. So them taking a resource slot is an unnecessary motivator for population control, instead it just motivates people to have no farm because they have no spare resource slots for one, and that's silly to me, to make it so tedious that almost no one in the game is even utilizing or enjoying it. I think if you absolutely have to have resource slots taken by animals, why not one slot per TYPE of animal and not per every two animals? As I said, the feeding chore is punishment enough, do we really need this limitation on top of everything else? It's more work than it's worth at a point and then it's like, why did we even implement it? So 2 towns per island could farm for a few years and then give up and sit on a pile of beef? It's not very fun, to be honest, it kinda kills the who appeal of domestication because none of my characters want to farm but no one else wants to farm and when I force myself to farm, then I don't wanna use the beef and pork because it was so hard to get and I'm frustrated.
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”

Return to “General Discussion”