The time limit.

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Should the time limit be abolished?

Yes
47%
No
44%
Abstain
9%

Total votes: 93
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:13 pm

Please take some time to see what has been suggested in the past
For instance you can find the following threads

Removal of time constraints

Server time

Bandwidth

All in the Rejected Suggestions Forum
HoH

Postby HoH » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:01 am

I like the limit.

I usually have about 150 minutes left when I'm done playing, and if I do run out, I get off my butt and go do something active. After sitting in front of a computer screen for 200 minutes, I need it.
west

Postby west » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:02 am

xactly
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
Marian

Postby Marian » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:51 am

Wow, this thread is like two years old. :shock:

I think the limit's okay, even if I have no idea how people manage 15 chars with it, I can barely keep up with eight. But, the one thing I really wish is that at least some of the unused minutes would be saved (not if you go away for like an entire week, over a thousand would be way too many,but even something like a maximum of 300 minutes would be cool).

I've missed a couple of days because of finals before, and then when they were over with I had three days worth of stuff to read and respond to, still with the same 200 minutes I'd normally use for one day. This would also be good for people that maybe only manage a few minutes a day during the week, but like to kick back and take their time playing on the weekend, instead of always worrying about conserving minutes. That's how I play most other games, anyway.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:12 am

Wow, I was reading the first page and the last post was in year 2004. :shock: I vote no, and if this was already talked about and rejected then there's not much point. I only run out of time when I accidently leave it logged in. (not very often) Maybe the reason to "get a life" is good enough. Because if you don't have one, you're dead dude. :lol:
Last edited by Joshuamonkey on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:24 am

If there are no technical reasons, (sorry if these have mentioned earlier), or cheating issues, then please increase the time for slow players such as myself.
This will obviously mean more players on-line all the time, and this will probably slow the game down, but if no degradation results, then the more time the better.
MattWithoos

Re: The time limit.

Postby MattWithoos » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:10 am

I vote no. :lol:

edit: For the sake of preserving the vote at the time of necro'ing this thread, here are the stats:

2004:
Should the time limit be abolished?

Yes - 44% (35 votes)
No - 46% (37 votes)
Abstain - 10% (8 votes)
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:00 am

I feel embarrassed to see a post from my younger self..
I don't have a strong opinion either way right now, as I wouldn't mind either choice. It is starting to seem like a time limit would help, seeing as Cantr is a slow paced game. It's not meant for people to stare at Cantr all day. I'm also not sure how much we should discourage having Cantr open all day though.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:12 am

One option would be to have maximum page views per hour or per three hours. That way the people who log in several times a day wouldn't have to worry about running out of minutes too early, but they wouldn't spend three hours just compulsively reacting to every insignificant event, and might reduce the wall of text less active players get to face. I certainly feel frustrated after spending hours just waiting for something to happen, I don't even leave the computer. Maybe I should tell myself to only check the game every three hours.
Not-so-sad panda
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:24 am

Somebody made the point that there are more conversations with the unlimited time.
That seems to fit as it seems that cantr has moved from a sim to a roleplaying game in its life imo.

It does cause more walls of text, but they can be filtered.
So Its hard to complain when the tools are readily at your use... yet I still do sometimes.

I have found that the keyword search helps alot to sift through the flotsam.
You can search for a particular character amidst the crowd, an item, or even (keyword: "die" e.g).
It kind of shortens things for me... or filter out certain events if you don't care who whispered or sparred for example.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:40 am

I absolutely abhor this time limit idea. It has poverty smell and is antipathetic. :(
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Cantr is like Vegas - what happens in the game should be in the game.
"It's a virtual world, not a theme park!" (Richard Bartle)
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:56 am

I would not want to go back to a time limit. I don't think it is useful at this point. My life as a rule gives me a time limit for playing any sorts of games. I'm not going to have the patience for fiddling and micromanaging my time in this game even further. It doesn't matter that I still type up 90% of my posts on Notepad, either. :P

Also, how would that affect mobile players? It really sucks playing on mobile when you have a slow device or bad connection. Well, it sucks playing on mobile, anyway, but I can just see the minutes draining away as you wait for the page to load.

Seko's suggestion with page views isn't as bad as minutes that tick away while you're in the game, but I don't really like that either. If I have 2 hours to play, I don't want to be limited in using that 2 hours by only being able to check like 6 times.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:15 am

If you want a time limit you can set one yourself, for yourself - there are plenty of browser extensions that can do it if you lack your own self control. How is stopping people who want to play the game from doing so going to achieve anything?

I honestly don't see how a time limit returning would help the game at all.

('whom' is good for log searches if your character cares about newspawns)
Money

Postby Money » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:50 pm

A part of me wanted to post a snarky comment about quitting the game if minutes get reimplemented but I managed to (kind of) restrain myself.

To me this idea just seems to be punishing people who are willing to spend large parts of their free time logging in. With a dwindling player base it seems counter productive to enact measures which will reduce player activity further. I understand it may bug those who aren't able to dedicate the same amount of time to the game but I don't see how we can reverse player loss by punishing those make the game more alive. As you're already are able to produce goods at the same rate no matter your level of activity I see no game breaking imbalances between the active and sporadic game styles. My criticisms are retracted if this is explicitly paired with some form of revenue generation through the sale of minutes, gotta bow down to the almighty dollar and taking the burden off Jos.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:19 pm

I agree with OWC and Money on this.

What good would it do to restrict something that was given for so many years?
It would give the impression of being punitive.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!

Return to “General Discussion”