The Dead Character Thread

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

the_antisocial_hermit

Re: The Dead Character Thread

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:53 pm

I can't list them right now. But I'm so, so, so sorry.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Akulli

Postby Akulli » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:08 pm

the_antisocial_hermit wrote:I can't list them right now. But I'm so, so, so sorry.

If it's who I think it is, ouch... I can definitely understand and all but there's always that one character that's gonna hurt to lose. He'll be missed for sure!
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:16 am

Akulli wrote:
the_antisocial_hermit wrote:I can't list them right now. But I'm so, so, so sorry.

If it's who I think it is, ouch... I can definitely understand and all but there's always that one character that's gonna hurt to lose. He'll be missed for sure!

I believe it is. :cry:
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:44 am

Hermit! :(
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
Debsy

Postby Debsy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:13 am

Black Canyon wrote:

Hermit! :(

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Awkward: Having your phone go off full volume during a funeral.

Even more awkward: Your ringtone being "I Will Survive"

The most awkward: Coming back after a 10+ year hiatus and swearing I'd never come back. :twisted:
alecto

Postby alecto » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:37 am

Sorry all. Had to get rid of a few since life is getting hectic. Okay, maybe more than a few. I'll... list them out soon.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:23 pm

Here are a few; a couple of long ones, mostly short ones:

Langston Kallum - He was my most traveled character. He spawned in Reemslidon, a quiet little place on Omeo. They didn't have much in the way of technology and the leader eventually hung herself in the hold of the only ship they had, with all the means to make a crowbar locked inside with her. He was always bitter about that; he felt like she'd made an already difficult life moreso on purpose.

Then Elana came along having escaped pirates by stealing one of their rakers. They became family- their bond was deeper than any romantic or marriage bond could be. What was his was hers and what was hers was his. They sailed to Blackrock Forest on the stolen raker, then build a brand new galleon from the ground up in case the pirates were looking for them. They paid the Blackrocks to help them build that galleon. He never called any town home, though they had decided on Zuzi as a port for the resort, but the Gallivance and the sea were his home. It was equally his and Elana's home. He may have deferred to her as captain, but they were equals, family. She lead the way toward their dreams while he built and detailed every inch of anything he could. It was in Blackrock Forest, as they were building the ship that Kin spawned. He always liked her; she was terribly shy and sweet, and he loved how easy it was to make her blush.

When Elana died while they were in their fifties, he became bitter and angry again. Charly helped him out of that funk and then seeing Kin again was a delight. With them, he became a bit more his old self again. He grew to like Zuzi less after Azurine's death, because Kitty screwed over Charly in the aftermath and tried to make him look bad for standing up for Charly and her rights as Azurine's partner. He was shocked she could be so unkind.

I hope his magnificent ship that he, and I as a player, put so much time into building and describing from day one of landing in Blackrock Forest gives Kin some comfort in his absence. Kin was as much family to him as Elana, and he considered the ship Kin's home, too, once she decided to sail with him a while. He'd known her longer than anyone else in the world at the time of his death. She and Charly were the only people he cared about as family that were left in the world. I hope he's buried at sea, the only place he truly considered home.

Grant F.B. Rutherby - What can I say about the most fantastic, spectacular, miraculous, extraordinary of people? He was a force of nature and was around much longer than Myllandra. He spawned in a place where he could be utterly himself, a carefree, wild man of impossible thoughts and dreams. I don't know how much Omeo sculpted him and how much he helped define the Omeo he knew, but they were one and the same to me.

Luna raised him to the pinnacle of what life had to offer there; she always supported him. He'd have died for her, his black-hearted queen of ice. Siobhan was his best friend and helped him be a more realistic character than he might have otherwise been. They loved and lost many friends together and kept each other grounded. He loved her, entirely, even if he wasn't one to settle down for just a single person harem. If he had, though, it'd have been her (sorry, not sorry, Rohan).

I don't know what to say about Ezra. Kidnapping him and keeping him trapped in her sea palace was an awful thing to do; his charm was just so much that even a (imaginary? we'll never know for sure!) sea monster wanted him. But he escaped as he was always meant to do, only to be left at the altar by Ben. Tsk, tsk, Ben. You never knew what you had. ;) At least Rohan knew he had the best boyfriend there ever was and gave him flowers all the time. There were so many great characters there through the years, and they'll always be missed terribly.

Kalea Nice - She was a bit of a beach/island girl. She loved Teregotha with all her heart. Her life there was stress free and fun, most of the time. Zaed was the love of her life; she was crushed beyond words when his ship washed to shore after she'd spent so long looking for it. Daisy was her best friend, and she couldn't have had a better life.

Lucille - She was a quiet character. She listened more than she talked. She helped people at times, though she never felt much connection with most. She spawned in Longinazy Forest east, then traveled to get a tandem for some work from a queen. She was paid well with rubies (she instantly fell in love with them, themeing everything of her own around them) and got her tandem, but when traveling back to another place, she came across a guy that had starved since she met him on her way there. He had a van and a lot of stuff in that van. She traveled most of Treefeather in her van for the first part of her life, telling people that he was her mentor, even though she only knew his name because the guy that gave her a ride told her what it was. She eventually settled in Silkwood in the latter part, as it was perfect for her tailoring and sculpture work.

Myllandra-of-so-many-names - She was small, but another force of nature in my roster, and the second loudest character I had. She was selfish and petulant at times, but she was willing to embrace anyone as a part of the Ol' Windmill Farm. She was fearless. She missed Gunnar a lot after he died. Carter was her best friend, and she was definitely a bit possessive of him in that regard. I think she feared losing him like she lost Gunnar. She'd have killed anyone to protect her family at the Ol' Windmill Farm. She found great joy in shooting bad people in the butt! I will miss everyone there sorely; Jude, Laurel, Leo, Elve, everyone. She's one of the characters whose loss hurts the most.

Betsy Gerard - She had a simple life in the beginning. She found her place with people she adored, Rebecca, Tara, and Vinny. She always wanted to go to the Haven Islands after she learned that was one of the goals. Her life got complicated, very complicated, when Jim Gerard arrived. It was stressful, but also very rewarding RP through all that time. She starved on accident before my account timed out. She'd gone to visit Decklan and Seven after she lost Jim and while she was waiting for Rebecca, Tara, Mei, and Oriku to return.

Damara/Dam - Damara was quiet, but her best friend Danesti brought out the best in her. She was happy with her life, helping Danesti and Noir with Scarab Haunt. She was not really looking for love, but was caught by surprise when it came to her in the form of Jordan. I think she also starved a little while ago, before the account timed out.

Blanche DiNorre - She was such a delight to play. I was rewatching Golden Girls for the first time in years, and she was inspired by the character of the (almost) same name on the show. She couldn't be brought down by much of anything and was a terrible flirt. Handle and Tops were incredibly supportive, and her travels with Jordan and Zayne were the best. Zap and Leslie were also amazing. She adored them all so much.

Owen - He was mostly a sim character. He was spawned in a tiny place on Fu, Seastone. He lived there all his life, occasionally traveling around to other places for materials. Even though he didn't care about wearing clothes, he enjoyed tailoring things for others. It was a quiet life, but good. Grago was the best, and there were other great characters that passed through his life. His zebra's name was Buck.

Niva - I never played her to her full potential. She spawned into strange circumstances and sailed for many years with Esmeralda. She cared very much about her. She was very cautious of the rest of the world.

There are two more big characters, but they will both probably be a bit long as they were my oldest this go-around, and they are the hardest for me to write right now. Maybe I will post them tomorrow.
Last edited by the_antisocial_hermit on Sat May 01, 2021 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Akulli

Postby Akulli » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:34 pm

Excuse me while I go and cry a little :(
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Sat May 01, 2021 12:20 am

Many great losses which I don't know what to say about them.
Nowadays I tend to think such characters moved to a different server with some former good ones.
I will write only about one since he's the most spectacular.
Grant "Fully Baked" Rutherby was a challenge and great friend for a strange woman who doesn't have heart at all in the romantic sense. Now he's with her other dear ones Thorolf, Jamie, Safiya, Eanne and Emma so I believe he's having good time. Thanks for the good times and long lasting, diverse RP.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Sat May 01, 2021 11:05 am

Really sad to see Kalea gone, she will be remembered for sure. :(
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sat May 01, 2021 9:27 pm

Sorry to see you go, Hermit. I had to laugh a little at the parts about Elana. Oh, if only you knew the real story about her time with those pirates. :lol:

The green world will feel a lot less bright without you. I was convinced you were a permanent fixture, there until everything turn to dust (and maybe a little after)
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun May 02, 2021 1:55 pm

I was wondering if anybody knows what happened to Coventina's white-tailed hawks Belinda and Andrew, after she died, and what happened to Jester's horse Paramount after he died? I know it's been a long time so I understand if nobody remembers but I felt like asking anyway.
Not-so-sad panda
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Wed May 05, 2021 6:10 am

Many thanks and many wishes that life away from the green serves you well Hermi. In truth I find you and your stable to be one of the best written and consistent groups.
A true artist who could make a character come alive on the green screen... a few of the names created themselves visually when I followed the scripts of well described and repeatable story-lines, your chars will live forever as long as I possess enough memory to recall.

A huge loss for cantr, you words touched me more than once and you set an example that will shape my rp for the rest of my days.

I raise my glass!
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
wiredwings

Postby wiredwings » Wed May 12, 2021 10:29 am

I made the decision to let my account become inactive and all my characters die around 40 days ago. I had played for nearly a year but my heart isn't in it anymore.

Raven.

Born 6629 In Olipifirovash West / Rosebury with the name Raven, died 6885 on the Shortinazy Star (I assume).

I want to thank everyone who played with me, especially the players of those who Raven called a family. 2020 was a really rough year for me and playing with Raven and your characters did a lot to help me through it.

I was in a dark place when I created him and that influenced a lot of how he was. I am glad to be able to say that I'm in a better place now, sadly I was not able to take Raven with me to it and had to leave him behind.

Mysery.

With a rough start, she got very lucky to be able to call Zuzi her home and was very happy there. I wish I could have played her for longer.

Enyo

Probably no one knows her, she met like 4 people in her life, and was often ill with sleep sickness, but I appreciated her determination and courage a lot. (She died earlier than the rest)

Fee

(genesis)

She was a lovely character to play. When I wasn't too overwhelmed by how busy the place was, that is.

Nona Sveletta Guity

She was difficult to play, I had no idea what to do with her life and neither did she. I tried to play that out, at least.

Fenix

I did not play them for long and I realized quickly that my idea of playing a troublemaker would not work because of my own anxiety but they were fun nonetheless :lol:

Juhani

Honorary mention, as this one was kind of a mistake, in the sense that I was only just learning finnish and I thought making a finnish character would help with that but I greatly overestimated my committedness to the language and how fast I would learn but I was also too embarassed to say anything to staff :lol:

I'd really like to invite everyone who knew Raven or any other of my characters to pm me if they want to. I am so curious what the people behind all of these lovely and complex characters are like and I miss playing with you all :cry:
alecto

Postby alecto » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:12 am

It's been a while, so I thought I'd finally put up a list of characters that I had to kill off, due to life getting busy :cry:
To anyone who met or enjoyed interacting with these characters, I'm sorry I couldn't continue their stories.

Vera Avventura - Everything about her, from her personality to her description to her emoting was hammed up to the eleventh degree. She was fun but also exhausting to play! (Fun fact, her description was inspired by the actress Aishwarya Rai)

Winona the wandering bard - I had a lot of plans for her that I just never got around to, and the constant nagging feeling that I wasn't using her 'talent' enough meant I ended her story way too early. Sorry to the lovely Kashi crew, I really enjoyed playing with you all.

Liana of Rosehills - she had such a zany character and backstory, I'm sorry I didn't let it out enough. I feel like she needed a bigger audience :roll:

Morris ("call me Mo!") - by far the hardest to let go. I feel like at some point I lost the thread of his plot, and he ended up aimless and with a sort of shallow personality. A thousand apologies to a certain character for leaving her behind - if her player sees this they'll know who I mean.

Mystery, the miner from Seatown Gardens - I had a really good setup for her (and she actually ended up investigating a murder case, which was fitting for her name but totally unintentional!) but in the end I just felt she had nothing left to say.

There were a few more, I might post about them later.

Return to “General Discussion”