The Dead Character Thread

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Reaction

Re: The Dead Character Thread

Postby Reaction » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:30 am

So, my account timed out a little while back, and I'm very sorry. I won't list my excuses, but things were hectic, and I was beyond busy, and I thought I had a better handle on things. I'm sorry to the characters that were affected. I know I hadn't been getting online very much, and some of you players, or your characters were kind enough to keep mine alive, and I hate that I let you down. I'm not quite ready to write the public goodbyes, but this is the short list.

Arianna Snow
Sirri
Sohalia
Madeline Turner
Airi

And a while ago, but I feel like still worth mentioning.

Dempsey Burdock Blackrock
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:04 am

D:
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:11 am

:(

They were some great characters, Reaction, they'll be missed for sure.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Optimus Christ

Postby Optimus Christ » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:46 pm

- Krythor
- Apostolos
- Ciaran O''Neil
Meorwen

Postby Meorwen » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Sadly I've been incredibly busy for some time now and I just found out that one of my rather annoying ones appears to have found her end because of that. I did kind of hope for a more exciting end on her part :? , sorry.

Ruby (from Klojt)
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:07 am

Ruby(Bone needle) was a character survived despite of all the risky roleplay and interesting even though it wasn't easy to deal with her. Sorry for your loss.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:30 pm

My character would have fed Ruby (despite their years of rivalry) but he had to leave before he starved himself. He spent his last coins on hand on food and ate it already, but he'd hoped mentioning how hungry people were would cause someone to feed them, but it looked like whoever was leading for Horace was letting everyone starve sadly..
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
Owlette
Game Mechanics Member

Postby Owlette » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:22 pm

I really enjoyed Cantr. I enjoyed it so much that I even joined staff to try to make it even better. (Resources department.) I had so many things I wanted to do! Things happen though, and I had to step back. From everything. I feel certain people are too toxic for me to try any more.

I read in another thread that someone started this game because they had dealt with very tough things in their real life. Abuse and so on.. And that lead them to Cantr. I can say the same thing about role play in general. I was hurting so deeply inside and a friend showed me a game that had rp involved. It wasn't Cantr but the idea was a bit the same. A game with rp. It was very different from Cantr though. Both the games were that I threw myself into in order to lose myself to distractions that weren't the thoughts plaguing my mind. And it helped so much.

The funny part is that, one was a game where most played as vampires. Dark, vicious, evil creatures... And yet I never seen anything played out so dark and twisted as I have in this game where everyone plays as human characters. This game is dark.

A little violence can be fun. It can stir up excitement, sure. Sometimes though, when it is constant and starts hitting more than one of your characters so that you can't do anything about it because you can't assist or have the same goals as your own alternate characters, it gets even more tiring. If I have one character kidnapped and she wants revenge but then another town with my character is also hit... What can I do? I can't change the course of the first because that would be ooc motivated. I can't have my second do anything because the first is already on that goal.

I have been written into a corner. And the partners of those characters have as well because they are in the same predicament.

So what can be done? Have my character killed off because I can't have more than one character in the same situation? Idle and lose the character because she is asleep too long?

It's exhausting. And a game shouldn't feel that way. My main reason for quitting was my problem with a select couple players I was working with, but the on going piracy events was a minor reason. It is hard to play a game where others are making choices for me and making players around mine go idle because they don't want to keep dealing with the same situations time and time again.

And so, many of my characters were quite disliked by some but here they are. They were still fun to play most of the time.

Maureen- Of Klojt. I apologize greatly to the player of Elijah. He was amazing and I am so sorry I cut our story short. I know they had big plans. They wanted to travel to Shaudawn and ask him to marry them before going to the great land of Fu for treasure hunting. Shaudawn's death put a bit of a wrench in that plan but I know it would have been such an epic love story. Because Maureen was my oldest character, our romance story was the longest of all my characters and from meeting until she died, they never swayed from one another.

Rainy Day- In Burgeo though she spawned in a tiny town in Fu. To the player behind Andrew, I am truly sorry for cutting our story short. You are such an amazing writer. Again, we had such an amazing romantic story. Ours was my second longest of my cantr characters and I am grateful for your time and your words.

Epyphany Cheshyre- Of Fu. I am sorry to the pair of characters not wanting her to pass. You were both fun to write with and she did have plans. She was heart broken from her first love's death and trying to stay positive, To the player of Ricky, your character was fun to talk with, especially when they were alone. It was sweet in a way that he seemed a bit protective of her. And to the player of Cain, I enjoyed writing with you as well. He is a very.. odd character in a way.

Charlotte Rose- Of Klojt. She was very timid and shy. Bullying pushed her even further into her shell. Once she finally left the island and found another after nearly dying with the closest friend she had ever made, she was starting to come out of her shell a bit. To the player of Rupert, I am sorry for cutting our story short, but thank you for the great rp. Playing in the foreign lands where no one knew English was a bit scary, for her and me, but it was still fun.

Queenie- Of Tirqi. I want to apologize to the player of Pierce for cutting our story short. He put up with a LOT from her since she was the most snippy, sarcastic, ect of them all. She probably made things pretty difficult sometimes. Still, she was fun and allowed me to play a rare dominating side I don't often dip into. And I know they had big plans as well...

Apple- of Cantr island. I can't remember the town she was from and she traveled quite a bit and had lots of fun everywhere she went. She was my most flirtatious character which was fun but difficult as well. Ooc I am shy and self conscious so playing her was a bit scary sometimes as I worried about how others seen her. And many did stereotype her and label her as something she wasn't. Still, her story was going places, so I apologize to the player of Ray for cutting that short.

Meiko Akizuki- Of Moku North. She spent a lot of time alone and/or asleep and had a few close brushes with death before meeting her Mr. Snow. I want to apologize to his player for ending the story short. It was a chaotic story, but it was also a very sweet romance that rarely consisted of romance at all. That he would risk his life to get her back from her kidnappers was more than words ever needed to say. Thank you.

Gwendolyn Layton- Of Naron Desert. Ah, Gwendolyn... She was super fun to play. She was short tempered, childish, jealous... And to top it all off, she was a witch! And she bragged about it everywhere she went, often taking up a hero pose as she pronounced herself to new people which she would immediately judge the moment she met them. It took little for her to not like someone and to want to use voodoo on them to appease herself. She was my oddest character as well. That was probably why she was so fun, especially in her beginning years. I am sorry to the payer of Aurora. I know she would have tried to move the moon (Is there a moon in Cantr?) for her. And she had big plans for the desert that were cut short.

Poppy- of Shai island and Xendra. She began on the small island but was very unhappy there. She built a ship and sailed off with a friend who stole said ship and abandoned her the first chance he had. It was hard to play her for a long time because there was no one to play with around her. She eventually found towns with people but they were just as dead as the places with nothing but ravenous animals. Her story didn't begin until she found Kiii and Xendra. She was a late bloomer I guess. I want to say sorry to Uldric for cutting their story short. It was very slow but I think they could have had a nice adventure eventually. If they survived their most recent visitors.

Lullaby- Of silkwood. She was a character I abandoned early on but people kept her alive. Sorry and thank you.

Dulce- of Cantr island. Heartswater Hills, I think. I admit, this was one I was growing bored with but she was still a good character I think. I am sorry to the players of Boris and Elijah. Boris was a well written and fun character to interact with while he was wakeful. And Elijah was a stern but practical leader. She was loyal to the cause but lacked skills. Her personality clashed pretty well with the leader but I feel they made it work, especially if she held herself back a bit.

I know with each I apologized to the closest in their lives, but really I am sorry to everyone and anyone who may have been impacted at all by the deaths of these characters.

I may try again in the future, especially if big changes are made. I don't see that happening though.

So, I wish everyone luck and fun with their stories, whether we ever wrote together or not. Whether we had a budding friendship or absolutely hated one another.

Happy writing.
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Owlette wrote:The funny part is that, one was a game where most played as vampires. Dark, vicious, evil creatures... And yet I never seen anything played out so dark and twisted as I have in this game where everyone plays as human characters. This game is dark.

A little violence can be fun. It can stir up excitement, sure. Sometimes though, when it is constant and starts hitting more than one of your characters so that you can't do anything about it because you can't assist or have the same goals as your own alternate characters, it gets even more tiring. If I have one character kidnapped and she wants revenge but then another town with my character is also hit... What can I do? I can't change the course of the first because that would be ooc motivated. I can't have my second do anything because the first is already on that goal.

I have been written into a corner. And the partners of those characters have as well because they are in the same predicament.

So what can be done? Have my character killed off because I can't have more than one character in the same situation? Idle and lose the character because she is asleep too long?

It's exhausting. And a game shouldn't feel that way. My main reason for quitting was my problem with a select couple players I was working with, but the on going piracy events was a minor reason. It is hard to play a game where others are making choices for me and making players around mine go idle because they don't want to keep dealing with the same situations time and time again.

this is where I'm at now.. everyone argues that having hardcore disgusting villains makes us play harder but it's the opposite. My characters have plans, their yound new people have plans, but everything is on hold, I havezero motivation to olay and build and distribute material to newspawns, what's the point in doing anything? The terrorists will come take it all and torture us, we may as well the entire world sleep and just wait for her, since we're not allowed just play the game anymore. It's sad that after over 8 years of this being the only game I continually played, never bored me, the only game I would fight to play, and now one player taking everything way too far is probably going to be the end. Every day I get closer to hitting that big X, the only reason I haven't is the hope someone stops this or the player sees sense and gets bored playing this sick nasty kind of rp I've never seen the likes of in 20 years of rpgs and finds a new way to entertain themselves without morbid perverseness and I can play my fun game again. And also that someone would play a character like this with the current climate of rape culture and terrorism is extra sick, they're doing this to attack people in real life affected by the world social climate, bringing it in our game to harrass us where we find our escape, it's not right, and I don't blame you one bit. I might be joining you, sadly, and after 8 years I'm obviously very attached to them all, but I'd rather kill them all peacefully before they have to be tortured.
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:45 pm

miirkaelisaar wrote:this is where I'm at now.. everyone argues that having hardcore disgusting villains makes us play harder but it's the opposite. My characters have plans, their yound new people have plans, but everything is on hold, I havezero motivation to olay and build and distribute material to newspawns, what's the point in doing anything? The terrorists will come take it all and torture us, we may as well the entire world sleep and just wait for her, since we're not allowed just play the game anymore. It's sad that after over 8 years of this being the only game I continually played, never bored me, the only game I would fight to play, and now one player taking everything way too far is probably going to be the end. Every day I get closer to hitting that big X, the only reason I haven't is the hope someone stops this or the player sees sense and gets bored playing this sick nasty kind of rp I've never seen the likes of in 20 years of rpgs and finds a new way to entertain themselves without morbid perverseness and I can play my fun game again. And also that someone would play a character like this with the current climate of rape culture and terrorism is extra sick, they're doing this to attack people in real life affected by the world social climate, bringing it in our game to harrass us where we find our escape, it's not right, and I don't blame you one bit. I might be joining you, sadly, and after 8 years I'm obviously very attached to them all, but I'd rather kill them all peacefully before they have to be tortured.

If you want to quit, alright. But I personally won't quit because of other players. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sorry. If you feel it's harassment, you can report to the staff.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:12 pm

It feels like a small group of players (2-3) have grouped up to harass and bully cutecuddlydirewolf, and have been continually spamming the forums with their opinions. At what point do staff need to step in to moderate this? When does it constitute a CR or rule breach?
ToxikCoffee

Postby ToxikCoffee » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:47 pm

Wolfsong wrote:It feels like a small group of players (2-3) have grouped up to harass and bully cutecuddlydirewolf, and have been continually spamming the forums with their opinions. At what point do staff need to step in to moderate this? When does it constitute a CR or rule breach?

I feel this same way. This isn't fair to them and those that choose to partake in the pirate fleet.
"My most traumatizing moment was being stuck in a cage without ice cream. Also I eat my hamburgers like I eat my hockey pucks."
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:37 am

ToxikCoffee wrote:
Wolfsong wrote:It feels like a small group of players (2-3) have grouped up to harass and bully cutecuddlydirewolf, and have been continually spamming the forums with their opinions. At what point do staff need to step in to moderate this? When does it constitute a CR or rule breach?
I feel this same way. This isn't fair to them and those that choose to partake in the pirate fleet.
I also agree that a small group of players are trying to force other players not to role play villainous characters just because 1) Their own beloved characters could die or otherwise suffer and 2) Because the player(s) themselves experience emotional turmoil from having their characters mistreated or killed. You don't get to change the rules of the entire game just because you don't like what is happening to your characters. This sets a bad precedent and is a huge CR breach.

It has already been explained that you can not be forced to participate in role play that is distasteful or upsetting to you but you can't stop your characters from being killed by simply saying, "I don't want my characters to die!" That's life in Cantr. Sometimes it is stressful and/or deadly. If this is too much for you to deal with then you should spare yourself the distress and quit the game.
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:57 pm

EDIT: See you in 4 days, folks!!!
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:38 am

Now is the day!!

Salona from Jakara, here.

I apologize for her end, but all the events happened so fast that I barely had the time to thread something properly. That plus this weekend... has been really intense and complex in my life, and I'm still struggling with dealing with some things. That's the only thing I managed to do focusing on what she believed and how she was.
She changed her mind many times in this two days, and she came to see the things as she saw them finally just in her last couple of hours or so. So it gave me really little time to rp it.

If someone liked it, great!! And if not,... well, sorry. I did the best I could with the given situation I had and have in my hands. RL and IG.

Return to “General Discussion”