The Dead Character Thread

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Oasis

Re: The Dead Character Thread

Postby Oasis » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:36 am

[quote="the_antisocial_hermit"]

Damara/Dam - Damara was quiet, but her best friend Danesti brought out the best in her. She was happy with her life, helping Danesti and Noir with Scarab Haunt. She was not really looking for love, but was caught by surprise when it came to her in the form of Jordan. I think she also starved a little while ago, before the account timed out.[/unquote]

Danesti wouldnt have lasted there without Damara, and their rigorous workout routines. Dan fell in love with Jordan first, but loved Dam so much she let her have him (since she had Kylan). They likely starved together.
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:54 am

Danesti gone too? That's sad to hear :(
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:57 pm

Oasis wrote:
the_antisocial_hermit wrote:
Damara/Dam - Damara was quiet, but her best friend Danesti brought out the best in her. She was happy with her life, helping Danesti and Noir with Scarab Haunt. She was not really looking for love, but was caught by surprise when it came to her in the form of Jordan. I think she also starved a little while ago, before the account timed out.[/unquote]

Danesti wouldnt have lasted there without Damara, and their rigorous workout routines. Dan fell in love with Jordan first, but loved Dam so much she let her have him (since she had Kylan). They likely starved together.

Holy crap, Netty. Are you still playing?
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:28 am

Mitch79 wrote:Time to list the ones that I recently lost.

Jude of the Windmill Farm

RIP Jude. Now I need to pretend I don't know his death.
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:05 am

Black Canyon wrote:
Oasis wrote:
Holy crap, Netty. Are you still playing?

Yes lol. Again. Round 3.5
Debsy

Postby Debsy » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:37 am

Okay, so I had to hit the button. After a lot of deliberating and consideration, and even stressing out over it, I made the heartbreaking decision to cancel my account for now. It wasn't fair to keep dragging it on, and life just got in the way. There was no way I could keep up any more. I'm so sorry to everyone I left behind, because these characters were truly some of my absolute favorites even compared to when I played before! Here's a list of them:

Tobias Wayn of Klojt - This one happened quite a while ago. I just no longer had the heart to play him after he lost his best and closest friend. :(

Sera Ashwood - One of the most difficult ones for me to let go of. She worked so hard to build up Dhung and never was able to really see her dreams realized. She loved each and every one of Dhung's citizens and friends and honestly, she was one of the reasons it took me so long to come to this decision!

Tara of Omeo - She was a sweetheart and often her kindness was taken advantage of because of it. I'm just sad she never got to make it back to live in Zev's town like she wanted!

Carter Troublemaker - Oh my goodness. He was a trip! After maybe his first few weeks on the Windmill Farm, Carter became "Carter Troublemaker" in my list. Wow, he was a blast to play! Just so much fun, and everyone at the Windmill Farm made him that much more fun. Much like Tobias though, I just didn't have the heart to keep playing him after the most important person in the world to him passed on. He was crushed about Myllandra and really just was going to turn into something that I just couldn't and wouldn't let him become!

Melynda Frost - I wanted to cry for this one too. She accomplished so much in her life and those who traveled with her were absolutely her world. I'm gonna miss her a lot!

Wesley of New Xanth - I will miss Wesley terribly too. He was another one I was most fond of because of those around him. Plus, he had a couple of secrets of his own. :twisted: Also, I'm not gonna lie. He was totally based off of Wesley from Princess Bride. :lol:

Sheri - Sheri was hard to let go of, but it had to be done sooner than later. I let her go a little earlier because I thought cutting down on characters would help me get back into it. But then Covid happened around my house and I just couldn't do it any more. I'm really gonna miss Shawn and Marius! And Mountain Man!! Shame on you for leaving her all alone!! :( She loved you!

Blaine Somers - Let me tell you guys something. It was so freaking hard to keep Blaine and Carter straight. I tried so hard to keep them separated, but you all just kept giving me reasons to bring them to the same place and I couldn't get out of it! All that said, though, he was a lot of fun. I hated letting him go, because I loved his quirks, especially his old eye injury! :(

Troy of Texas - Okay, another cheesy moment I had. This one was totally named because of Cowboy Troy. I even made a joke about that in game, and I was really hoping someone got that reference. Although, I don't think anyone from when that happened is still around any more.

Morgan Guile - I so totally did not want to let go of Morgan. This was the other big main character that was heartbreaking for me. Morgan took a lot of time and effort and had a lot of myself in her. She was too proud to ask for help when she needed it, until she just reached her breaking point and had to have it shown to her that it was needed. I tried really hard to wait it out until Oliver could get back, but I just couldn't do it any more. :( I'm so sorry everyone for this one!!

Maybel Talley - And Maybel had so much potential. Her and Noddy were great together while I had the time to play. I am really torn about this one just because I was so worried about how Noddy would take losing her. :(

You guys, this time around was so much harder for me to let go than the last time. I put so much more into my characters this time than I did before, and it just really hurt me to see them just wasting away like they were there at the end. Hopefully life will ease up a bit so that I can get back into it at a later time, but for now, I'm gonna have to step away. I wish you all well, and happy Cantring!! If you want to chat about any of my characters, just send me a PM!! :D I'll be lurking as I always do and happy to talk about them! :)
Awkward: Having your phone go off full volume during a funeral.

Even more awkward: Your ringtone being "I Will Survive"

The most awkward: Coming back after a 10+ year hiatus and swearing I'd never come back. :twisted:
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:38 am

It's time to say goodbye. For good. No matter what, I won't be ever returning here most surely. This has been a hard decision since Cantr formed part of a very important time of my life during some of my most crucial moments. Some of them were absolute thresholds of my growth as a human being. But... Some things here have pushed me to go through some situations from which there's not a coming back.

Also, now seeing Debsy leaving (what a surprise) and who were their chars,... Well...

---

Sunny Summers: There was little if any difference nor separation between Sunny and I. She was I. Her skin was my skin. Her heart was my heart. We were the same person. Whoever ever interacted with her, know that it was like if you would have interacted with me IRL for most things.

She suffered most of her life. She was unhappy, miserable. Her last bunch of days, tho, she was finally able to experiment the bliss of Summer. She managed to be happy!! To be herself again. We cried so much, of joy and relief.
Goodbye Sunny. Now you finally rest your heart.

Shireen Greywolf: Shireen has never been truly happy, just as Sunny. But she was different. She knew her path ran through thorns, and she accepted it without quarrels. She managed to reach her first goal, but... The time for her thread to be cut came unexpectedly and so this is the end for her.
I'd say that... She never truly made peace with life after losing her wife Jesse. But she found some solace in the friendship with some other char named Yinran.

Judith (the Judithian): After losing her TWO GIRLFRIENDS because she was part of a polygamist relationship where she felt so much loved and (we; I mean Judith and I) learned so much about love and coexistence... And also about how to ruin that, Judith decided that life was dull and stupid, and decided to go on. The first party that she stumbled with, she would join. The first warm bed offered, she would jump in. The first shiny object she would find, she would pick it.
Of course, she didn't find many parties, and less she found any warm beds (at all). But her fingers resulted to be very sticky, and she managed to get one of the most unique ships in Cantr. A true relic it was. And she also got a whole arsenal of weapons.
She also got a guitar and used to play it and sing more or less often. Also to write.

After losing a late friend she decided that enough was enough. She could never kill her personal enemy, Della. So left Treefeather forever. Her ship is still there, somewhere.

---

To Debsy:

I loved all of your chars. You don't even know how impactful they were to me.

Mel Frost for Alana; somewhere in the Green World there's a pile of letters she wrote for her. She promised to do that, and she kept her promise.

Troy: for... us? I have no words to describe HOW MUCH we loved Troy. HOW MUCH... Even while I write this, I'm crying, knowing he's no more. That radiant, warm feeling of intense love, it filled me like some of the most real things I've been through this life. It was... Everything. I could even "sense" his scent in my nose, the texture of his clothes and the sound of his presence when he was around. It was so overwhelming.
And I was so happy when he finally found someone he loved, even with all the rest of the things that... Happened...

Sera Ashwood: Shireen admired you. And respected you. That's a lot to say for someone who looked at most people around as barely more than talking ants and vermin. There are/were other persons she also admired too, but you were among the first and most important of them all.
I hope she rests well now. Shireen started to write her diary after they got lost at the sea, but she remembered her from time to time.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:42 pm

Sorry to see so many good players and characters go. I knew Carter, Blaine and Morgan best. I appreciated Shireen. I think I might have even got on her good side but it was kind of hard to tell, lol. I knew most of your characters in passing at least, the both of you and I thought they were all well played. You'll both be missed.
Outerhaircell

Postby Outerhaircell » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:35 am

Debsy, some of your characters were very dear to mines' hearts. I hope you find the will to return someday.

Frog. You already know what I think. :(
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:55 am

Unfortunately, my time here ended in exactly the way I never wanted it to: by timing out. I stopped it from happening once, but still never made it back again to sort things for any of my characters... It's a complete injustice to the ones I had spent literal years playing :cry:

I want to apologise to anyone playing someone that mine had promised to wake up more...it was always intended, but real life just kept getting in the way. And to those where mine were in a position of power - sorry to have let you down, left you without access (though I did try to pass that responsibility on with at least one of them!), or whatever other inconvenience. I have been there myself, I know it REALLY sucks. Also, apologies to anyone that had to deal with a ton of dropped notes and/or keys... Some of them had a lot :shock: A huge mess was another thing I had always wanted to avoid leaving behind...

I can't go giving any background at the moment, some of them led pretty quiet lives and hardly met anyone, others, particularly my oldest ones, met many people and lived through a lot. I'm sad to think of their lives being over, but I'm not missing the game, I'm afraid - it became more of a chore than fun, unfortunately.
Here's the full list of who I've played during my time:

Andie "Purple" Nicholls 4226-7079
Cain Dory 4226-7079
Jane Doe 4227-5659
Aiden Holmes 4228-7079
Daisy Lu Rolfe 4229-7079
Joe Mason 4230-7079
Red Herrin 4231-7079
Agnes McManny 4232-7079
Eric Superfine 5000-6205
Felix Chance 5010-7079
Tintin 5060-7079
Gwyneira Lloyd-Sayer 5081-7079
Philip Marshall 5087-5889
Sandy Woolfe 5087-7069
Governor 5168-6914
Dyl 5660-7079
Buddy Crowe 5930-7079
Linus Tobias Ferdinand 6210-7079

People, if the oldies have fallen unresponsive, please keep in mind that their player may actually have spent REAL LIFE years on them, and therefore be in a completely different situation than they were when they started - it might be annoying, but don't just see it as an opportunity to mindlessly loot... Be more original, yeah?
Same with spawning and seeing a dead body, unless you were specifically intending to play an opportunist, don't just loot and run - it's actually really boring for those left in town, especially if they've just lost a citizen they've known for years :(

Maybe I'll return to give more info, maybe I'll forget or get too busy in life, I dunno. Farewell, for now, or forever :?
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:42 am

Daisy Lu Rolfe will always be remembered by my character
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Shedevil

Postby Shedevil » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:25 am

Was torn between posting her death or not.

Piper formerly of Bhak then later of Zuzi. She had dreams of sailing and exploring and worked for her ship then set sail and met Me in Dhung. Instantly she became very attached to Me and considered her, her best friend. Found riches along the way before landing in Zuzi where Me died and Piper found love in Emmett. Enjoying helping him understand a world he couldn’t see she fell in love with him and decided to stay for him. The one and only trip they took to Omeo for the colorful talking birds landed them where he could gain the ability to see. She did everything she could to make him happy but shortly after returning to Zuzi they both fell asleep and when he died it broke her heart and she died shortly there after of a broken heart.
Oh look, another glorious morning… makes me SICK!
WolfEyez99

Postby WolfEyez99 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:40 am

Been quite a few years since I played... I have characters I really enjoy now. Here are the ones that unfortunately didn't make it this time around.

Cress: Lived a pretty aimless life starting on Omeo, then continued living a pretty aimless life sailing on a boat. I had high hopes for her but certain circumstances let her die.

Yam: Also unfortunately spawned in a place that didn't have too much rp opportunity for the big ideas I had in mind, but I had fun goofing off regardless!

Odelia: Had an important role in the cantr world, but I could never figure out a personality I liked for her, so she kinda just fizzled out for me.

Ramsay: Another aimless char, never figured her out either :/

Ruelle: Ahh, a very complicated one that I enjoyed playing. Took me out of my comfort zone sometimes, but in a good way. Another one that couldn't find a purpose.
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:01 am

One of my chars lived in the same town as Odelia. She had great potentials.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:48 pm

Ok y'all. I hit unsubscribe this week (Monday). I had been thinking about it for a while and just decided for some reason it was time. I joined at the beginning of the pandemic and two years just seemed like enough for me. Unfortunately not all my characters were on a good place for unsubbing so for those that had to clean up some mess I'm sorry. Most of mine by now we're just quietly doing nothing for a pretty long time.

Leo Karkinos
From the Old Windmill Farm. Lived through the wild and crazy years through to the depressing end times. He was pretty much a joker, avoided most drama, had a potty mouth and was generally just driven to rep his home town and have some adventures.

Marcus du Ponte
Silkwood Forest. I wanted to play a scholar so I sent him from his spawn place in Plakuer Shores to Silkwood and then to Klojt University. I returned later to Silkwood to live and developed a philosophy around philanthropy and altruism. It was never well organized or written down but those around him saw what it was about.

Drake Tripilo
Centerforge. He was my jokiest character. Spent most of his time coming up with puns and limericks, slowly turning his town into a psuedo island paradise. Extremely low effort but still fun.

Dante Salvatore
Originally from Doryiskom. I created Dante during a frustrating time with Marcus, so he had some similar traits. If Marcus hadn't worked out Dante would have been my backup main character. But I had a great time playing Dante thanks to Kitiara, and I hope she can say the same. LOL. In the end he spent a lot of time not doing much of anything, sadly like a lot of my other characters.

Lulu LaCroix
Seastone, Fu. She spent a reeeeally long time building a ship. Like a ridiculously long time. I think that's what kept her active longer than the rest. The crew she left behind was maybe the hardest losses when deciding to unsub. You spend so long working on a goal in tangent with people and you feel some real comradrie.

Penelope di Knatri
Originally Naron Desert but eventually Alexilad. After spawning and realizing she was a desert spawn I sort of tried to model her after Nymeria Sand from GoT. And so it made sense later she joined a family, and was one of the last surviving di Knatri in Cantr. But I ran into a real brick wall while playing her. Every time I tried to reboot and start playing her again it didn't go anywhere. I guess she just wasn't developed enough. It happens.

Voss
Originally Siom. He was a drifter that basically rejected any type of lavish lifestyle preferring to remain plain and simple. He joined various causes that usually kept him traveling for really long periods of time. Spent the last part of life sleep working wherever there was work to be found.

Mi Yu
Also Siom. She spawned there while Voss was away. She was a shy, nerdy girl with an interest in medicine. She took a more active role in Siom for a while. Eventually found that all her closest friends had died or left town. I hope that someone tends to her pet goat, Beans who was her closest friend after Morgan died (yes I know that's pathetic but that was the point)

Lance Valkyriel
Aarich Kiev
Lucipher Venosa

I'll try to do some write ups for each maybe this weekend. Thanks and farewell everyone.
Last edited by Millhouse on Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General Discussion”