The 'Three Character' rule

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

The Industriallist

The 'Three Character' rule

Postby The Industriallist » Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:09 pm

Now, to start out, I would like to say:
a) The PD has never harmed me in any way
b) I fully understand that they need a rule that no one can question to deal with this type of violation
c) There is probably no way of improving on this rule

Now that I have neutered the topic, does anyone find themselves forced to break the CR to avoid breaking the three characters limit? For some time I was concerned that I would be forced to act in an OOC manner becase I had two characters in the same place, and a third might have been ordered to attack there soon. Neither of those there wanted to leave, and the third would not have been likely to disobey orders. Furthermore, dodging the bullet would have resulted in saving at least one of my characters from probable death, making things even worse.

The whole thing went away, but it could happen again
"If I can be a good crackhead, I can be a good Christian"

-A subway preacher
Ash

Postby Ash » Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:13 pm

Yeah, say if a character was in jail and can't escape, one was spawned there and needed to get food, and another was travelling 99% there, nest hour in 0.01 seconds.

What would happen then? Would they still be in breach. I don't see why you can't have more than 3 characters in one place, as long as they dont help eachother, thats fine, but i suppose that there is some people out there that would make 'mule' characters. :( Which is a shame.
jeslange

Postby jeslange » Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:03 pm

If such a situation occured, the Players Dept would work it out with you.
Camino

Postby Camino » Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:11 pm

I understood the rule as no more than three characters in one place, so within Jimothys situation there would be no problem as there would simply be three of your own characters in one place, if you had more then you would need to do something about it, like talk to the PD or talk to someone OOC. Now I can't stand OOC talk and I noticed that the words "only if not saying anything will be detrimental to the flow of the game" means nothing as I saw people wishing each other merry christmas! Thats what this forum is, I don't correct typos with an OOC comment as if its completely mangled I will come up with an IC reason to explain it away, really not that difficult to do. Also the growth of internet slang everywhere! Those are my points and no I don't expect perfection from everybody but you can stop going "ty/soz/WTF" and other such banalties.
Báng

Postby Báng » Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:15 pm

Yeah, I agree with that last point. I'v probably done it by mistake myself at some stage but it's just nicer to see people write the correct words, unless your playing a character who purposely says them wrong.
People don't change....perceptions do.

'Gabriel Xavi'
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:41 am

Personally I think that rule is very flexible and is there to keep bad players from grouping their characters together and creating massive organizations where most of the characters are controlled by one player. As long as you keep your characters seperate and role play their personalities then I don't think there will be any harm.

Right now I have four characters that frequent and are well known in Quillanoi. There is Easle Quathak, Richard Lenseth (obviously), Awaq Hera, and Robert.

Ealse was spawned in Quillanoi and so was Awaq. Richard was sent to Quillanoi by Steve Kardos to run the Siom Sheriff Deputy Offices In Quillanoi, and Quillanoi was the next major location on Robert's map after Brunoi.

So I see as long as they are there for legitamate reasons and are played by what their personalities are then there shouldn't be a problem.

But don't take this as an official Cantr policy. This is just my opinion. And the Player's Department might have another one.
Alcatraz

Postby Alcatraz » Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:26 am

A good way to handle these situations is to directly address the Players Department. Send a mail to players@cantr.net saying that you will soon have three characters in one location. Explain their individual intentions in that town, and you might even go so far as to tell a bit about their intentions after that. You will soon get a mail back thanking you for the explanation and letting you know to either go for it, or where we think that you need to reconsider.

We're here to help you.

-Ryan Harrigan
sammigurl61190

Postby sammigurl61190 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:39 am

You play Robert? I had no idea. LOL
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:36 am

I almost had 3 characters in Quillanoi, but luckily one of them was planning to leave anyway, so as one arrived it made sense for the other to leave.

I may run into a problem at some point, due to the high density of my chars in the Siom/ Quillanoi region, but I'm doing quite well ICly keeping them apart right now.
Ash

Postby Ash » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:40 am

But one time or another it's going to happen, it's not inevitable. And yes, i have a few chars in the siom/blojt area, but they just avoid eachother.. or just travell through..

Return to “General Discussion”