Game changes - discussion about implemented changes.

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Alladinsane

Re: Game changes - discussion about implemented changes.

Postby Alladinsane » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:18 am

If we have steam engines for trains... not steamboats?

That could shorten travel times, and empower pirates.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
witia1

Postby witia1 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:49 pm

While I would be in favor of faster ships, that would require change in to telescopes or addition of new item that would increase range of view.
Now even racker can go out of view quite quickly, faster ship would make chasing it very annoying task with current detection range.
Rest In Pieces.
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:57 pm

Radar? It would detect the presence and position of a ship beyond view, but not reveal the ship identity or (maybe) ship type/size.
Of course radar would cost energy to operate and elecronics parts to make. It would be a fixed machine.
I think ...
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:28 pm

It's been a few years now but I think there was a lengthy discussion about adding a oars/rowing mechanic to ships. I think GreeK said it's technically possible since the introduction of reins.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:52 am

I see no reason why a faster ship would make magnification more powerful... Its two separate subjects.

I once proposed that you might be able to see further when you are at a height (crows nest, lighthouse, or even my shoulders at a concert! Height does not make vision clearer or eyes better barring obstructions)... but I don't follow the proposal of better telescopes in addition to faster movement.

Perhaps I am thick and the proposal needs better fleshing out?

Now...radar...I can "see" though it may be an electronic advance we are not yet ready for? I am open for discussion of such.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:59 am

A.t.m. there is no need for extending vision, but there may be if a new genereation of motorized ships would become available. It is rather frustrating if a ship can dock from out of sight in a matter of rl hours.
I like your suggestion of seeing further from a higher standpoint.

This is all off-topic here, of course, the thread is about implemented changes.

On topic: i feel item decay has speeded up considerably recently. My chars are experiencing a tsunami of tools that need repair.
It is way too fast now, all they can do is fixing and polishing things ahead of schedule.
I think ...
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:08 pm

Hello, a couple things:

First, THANK YOU HOLY CRAP and the travel tick is continual too?! my character had to follow someone on the road and I was sad I'd be on the road for 3 hours, but when I turned around I was back in town in seconds, I didn't realize it was travel ticks too. This is literally game changing, the project thing too. it still technically takes the same time, but no longer will we reach almost 100% and then have to wait another hour for the last 0.03%. No longer will we need 2 grams of something and have to wait at least 3 RL hours for it.

Secondly about the trains, I was wondering how you catch a train? If it was mentioned, I missed it. So like, you want to take the train and it's going to come through because it's from another town, does the other town have to tell you by radio or keep a schedule so you know when to be awake? Do you have to be awake and get on the train? Do you have to let them know to wait for you when they stop in your town, or do people have to decide a reasonable time to wait for potential passengers? Do you just wait in the station and the train picks you up automatically? I feel like a lot of characters would nap through their train and miss it lol. Or do you just have to have your own town train to ensure your people can get a ride when they want?
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:44 am

I think a fixed schedule like how it is in rl is probably going to be the way it goes.
Undine

Postby Undine » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:57 pm

miirkaelisaar wrote:it still technically takes the same time, but no longer will we reach almost 100% and then have to wait another hour for the last 0.03%. No longer will we need 2 grams of something and have to wait at least 3 RL hours for it.

I was at 99.9% on a project yesterday and was content knowing that it wouldn't take forever to finish :D
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:20 pm

miirkaelisaar wrote:Secondly about the trains, I was wondering how you catch a train? If it was mentioned, I missed it. So like, you want to take the train and it's going to come through because it's from another town, does the other town have to tell you by radio or keep a schedule so you know when to be awake? Do you have to be awake and get on the train? Do you have to let them know to wait for you when they stop in your town, or do people have to decide a reasonable time to wait for potential passengers? Do you just wait in the station and the train picks you up automatically? I feel like a lot of characters would nap through their train and miss it lol. Or do you just have to have your own town train to ensure your people can get a ride when they want?

They're just vehicles that don't automatically stop everywhere. So if you want to get on, you need to be in a place it will stop, all other things are no different than cars. So, you'll need to figure out in game how the scheduling etc. works I recon :)
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
zymurge

Postby zymurge » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:04 am

We have four brand new musical instruments! The upright piano and grand piano are rather expensive, and are static instruments not unlike furniture. The keyboard and keytar are portable like normal instruments, and feature electronics for amplification. Enjoy!

Well, if electronic instruments are now an option, and guitars already exist ... the natural next step is the electric guitar.

But more important, I've got a certain character that would absolutely kill for an electric bass! Please make it so.
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:09 am

Electric guitars were in game before keyboards.

electric guitar
PROCEED
Days needed: 2
screwdriver
or bronze screwdriver
soldering iron
pair of pliers
radio receiver case
copper wire (6 items)
or silver low power wire (6 items)
or gold low power wire (6 items)
or platinum low power wire (6 items)
guitar
circuit board
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:25 am

zymurge wrote:
We have four brand new musical instruments! The upright piano and grand piano are rather expensive, and are static instruments not unlike furniture. The keyboard and keytar are portable like normal instruments, and feature electronics for amplification. Enjoy!

Well, if electronic instruments are now an option, and guitars already exist ... the natural next step is the electric guitar.

But more important, I've got a certain character that would absolutely kill for an electric bass! Please make it so.

Can be done,sure!! There are several instruments Cantr lacks of, like trumpets for example, and I don't know if there are any drums. The thing is this has been just a veeeeeeery old project from years and years ago, and it was just about the pianos. Since we were on it we added several other keyboard instruments on the go because... why not?

A 2nd batch of instruments could happen anytime. We only need a good list in order of not being preparing a new instrument every day but doing it all at once in a single swing.
zymurge

Postby zymurge » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:34 pm

Ah, I see that now. Not sure how I missed that before.

So now my request is simpler. Just lengthen the neck a little, knock off a string or two (a 5 string bass is fine :) and make them an octave lower.
Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:12 pm

Limited resource slots suck. They are unrealistic. They don't do diddly for trade. They discourage people from living in groups. Even a medium-sized town (fewer than 10 people) runs into the resource limit, especially if it has machines and domesticated animals.

It's amazing how the programming end of Cantr has gotten better every year, but the staff understanding of the player experience never seems to grow.

Return to “General Discussion”