Game changes - discussion about implemented changes.

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Black Canyon

Re: Game changes - discussion about implemented changes.

Postby Black Canyon » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:35 am

Chris wrote:Limited resource slots suck. They are unrealistic. They don't do diddly for trade. They discourage people from living in groups. Even a medium-sized town (fewer than 10 people) runs into the resource limit, especially if it has machines and domesticated animals.

It's amazing how the programming end of Cantr has gotten better every year, but the staff understanding of the player experience never seems to grow.

Why don't you join the staff team so that you can help enlighten them? :wink:
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:03 am

Black Canyon wrote:
Chris wrote:Limited resource slots suck. They are unrealistic. They don't do diddly for trade. They discourage people from living in groups. Even a medium-sized town (fewer than 10 people) runs into the resource limit, especially if it has machines and domesticated animals.

It's amazing how the programming end of Cantr has gotten better every year, but the staff understanding of the player experience never seems to grow.

Why don't you join the staff team so that you can help enlighten them? :wink:

Besides that, I think (a good part) of staff doesn't disagree, about the slots. I know I dislike them in general, as well.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:07 am

Actually some sort of limitation based on used space in a location is quite common in other games. If you use space for a building you cannot use it for a mine or a wheat field.
The resource slots were the original implementation of this in Cantr, but they didn't limit anything in actual gameplay.

Being some kind of limitation, but not too stringent, is a matter of balancing things. If a town reaches its limits, some kind of organising/planning this limited resource will be necessary, which is good for social interaction. Maybe food gathering will have to be moved to a nearby location, or some gathering tasks will have to be planned. This is what Jos originally had in mind, i think.
I think ...
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:17 am

Tiamo wrote:Actually some sort of limitation based on used space in a location is quite common in other games. If you use space for a building you cannot use it for a mine or a wheat field.
The resource slots were the original implementation of this in Cantr, but they didn't limit anything in actual gameplay.

Being some kind of limitation, but not too stringent, is a matter of balancing things. If a town reaches its limits, some kind of organising/planning this limited resource will be necessary, which is good for social interaction. Maybe food gathering will have to be moved to a nearby location, or some gathering tasks will have to be planned. This is what Jos originally had in mind, i think.

Yep, and I agree some limits are needed, and this seems a relatively straight-forward way to do it. However, I quite dislike how awkward and forced it seems. We're looking into more organic ways of introducing limits instead of just slots, though. :) If you have any ideas about this, we'd love to hear about it!
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:42 pm

... If you have any ideas about this, we'd love to hear about it!

Maybe it is just a matter of proper naming. Call it the 'useable space' of the location.

Initially all this space is taken up by nature, where plants grow and animals live.
When characters create (semi-)permanent structures in the location, like buildings, crop fields (necessary for using harvesters!), mines/quarrys, animal enclosures, maybe even improved roads, those take up space, diminishing the free nature left in the location. Each structure will have it's own size: a well takes almost no space, a stone quarry will take lots of space. Demolishing those structures of course will free the space for nature or other structures, and should be possible for any structure.
With diminishing nature space the gathering of natural resources will gradually become less effective, and less animals can be hunted there.

When characters live in a location, space management will naturally be an issue for all. The choice of which structures to maintain in the location is a community issue, there may be rules for it. Houses with back rooms are more space-efficient than separate houses. A nearby location can be devoted to farming and/or hunting. Living space will thus not be restricted to one location, but involves an area of locations.

Start with higher space numbers, allowing diversity in space use and making it feel less cramped. Tweak the numbers, so an average location size allows for an average village size, and a maximum location size can contain a thriving city (a true metropole will spread over several locations).
I think ...
Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:00 pm

Tiamo wrote:Actually some sort of limitation based on used space in a location is quite common in other games. If you use space for a building you cannot use it for a mine or a wheat field.

In which games do you have to walk for five RL days to get far enough away from other characters so you can gather or hunt or whatever?

Cantr is already a ghost world. What percentage of towns are empty? Try "interacting" with people, and often you'll get silence.
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:18 pm

Tiamo wrote:Each structure will have it's own size: a well takes almost no space, a stone quarry will take lots of space. Demolishing those structures of course will free the space for nature or other structures, and should be possible for any structure.

I like this more granular system.
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:56 pm

gudgeon wrote:
Tiamo wrote:Each structure will have it's own size: a well takes almost no space, a stone quarry will take lots of space. Demolishing those structures of course will free the space for nature or other structures, and should be possible for any structure.

I like this more granular system.

I have seen this in Prosperous Universe and honestly I loved it. It allows you to plan and design the place as you want, but keeping in mind the space you have for that.

Example:
your population requires living quarters (which occupy space). If you build too many living quarters you end with little or even no space for your farms, mines, or smelters. So a base starts like an empty place of X size, and it's up to you (there) how it's filled.

I think Cantr should have no limits about the amount of machines allowed outside; but everything should use some amount of space, yes, and then let people to choose what to do with it.
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:16 pm

Deck grill, gas barbecue, small kiln, spit. They are piled up rocks, not a single piece of furniture. They shouldn't be carried around.
Outerhaircell

Postby Outerhaircell » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:27 am

BBQs aren;'t made out of stone. Iron.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-Per ... lsrc=aw.ds

Its even got little wheels!
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:40 am

Right barbeque is made of iron. I mixed it up with gas oven.
Fasolka

Postby Fasolka » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:08 am

Hey, so what's the status on demolishing signs?
First the capability was added, then quickly reverted, and now we are in kind of limbo.
Could it be finally rolled out?
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:41 am

Fasolka wrote:Hey, so what's the status on demolishing signs?
First the capability was added, then quickly reverted, and now we are in kind of limbo.
Could it be finally rolled out?

Not tomorrow probably, but we're still looking into ways to make this possible in a good, balanced way.
gudgeon

Postby gudgeon » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:59 am

Is the new timber/wood split going to be implemented any time soon?
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:18 pm

gudgeon wrote:Is the new timber/wood split going to be implemented any time soon?

It should. It only needs a server query and then just editing several items.

Return to “General Discussion”