Game changes - discussion about implemented changes.

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

MattWithoos

Re: Game changes - discussion about implemented changes.

Postby MattWithoos » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:22 pm

Arguably it's a good thing to encourage centralisation again, given the dwindling player base.

Having said that, I have at least half my characters living off the grid, and several more who are truly in the wilderness on their own. I am nothing but excited for this.

Before the industrial revolution people worked to eat. You didn't have much time for anything else. In less civilised places or underdeveloped places this is still true. So from a realism perspective I couldn't be more happy.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:35 pm

They worked to pay rent, mostly. Eating has always been pretty cheap ones supply is established. You can bake multiple loaves of bread for pennies a day. Where hunting was allowed, small game was a cheap source of protein.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:43 pm

The changes will definitely affect those lone wolves out there just trying to survive in the wilderness. The players of those characters are likely doing that because they like the challenge. I suppose it will be left to see if it will become too challenging for people to continue doing that. I'm more worried about the impact to my sailors. If others are like me, they rely heavily on meat to feed themselves and their crew. Now I'm finding myself needing to plan extra stops to get resources I normally wouldn't bother with.
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:15 pm

Millhouse wrote:The changes will definitely affect those lone wolves out there just trying to survive in the wilderness. The players of those characters are likely doing that because they like the challenge. I suppose it will be left to see if it will become too challenging for people to continue doing that. I'm more worried about the impact to my sailors. If others are like me, they rely heavily on meat to feed themselves and their crew. Now I'm finding myself needing to plan extra stops to get resources I normally wouldn't bother with.

Most of my own chars are sailors, explorers, and hermits. I’m mindful of the sometimes unfair pressures that get put on these groups in realignments. We are trying as much as possible to minimize this burden while providing greater effects on city-dwellers with access to harvesters and stockpiles of other ingredients.

Survival at sea was never intended to be perpetual. All of the free ingredients can be significantly improved simply by combining with other ingredients. If your chars have access to ingredients which need more possibilities for cooking, please use the Suggestions forum food sticky: viewtopic.php?p=138#p138 This is exactly the kind of information we need when designing new recipes (rather than ooc or rp preferences).
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:10 pm

I think at least lowering the difference between the old consuming amounts and new ones would be fair enough. Like making cooked meat 50 grams instead of 80 etc. *She makes Shrek's cat face to responsible Cantr staff and fellow players*
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:06 pm

The biggest problem for my sailor/explorer isn't what to cook (though it is a problem I'll need to solve soon) but rather that what was once enough prepared food to feed a crew for the next ~5 IG years is now only enough to feed them for the next ~1.5 IG years. I'm sure we'll figure it out in that amount of time and not starve, it just changes things considerably.

I can put this suggestion in the meals suggestion thread if you'd like, but one thing I noticed is that the deck grill doesn't have any fish recipes. Considering fish is the one edible resource that can be gathered at sea, it might help to add a few.
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:22 am

The new dishes are interesting for my characters. The increased eating rates on raw foods and certain dishes don't bother me that much because I'm a food fanatic. All of my characters have the collective thing on their mind that they must always have at least 50 kilos of prepared food at their disposal at any time or they could starve.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:28 pm

There will be some changes in a few minutes, you will be able to discuss them here soon :P

EDIT: Done. I wonder if you'll notice it.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:54 pm

Since none of that harm primitive communities whose diet is solely and exclusively roasted meat ...
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Cantr is like Vegas - what happens in the game should be in the game.
"It's a virtual world, not a theme park!" (Richard Bartle)
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:05 pm

I don't know what are the changes yet, but I'll tell my chars to go and stock some fish before Cantr Gods can touch them :P
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:32 pm

I noticed the new machines a couple of days ago in the build menu. I'm not sure if that's what changes you're referring to though.
nateflory

Postby nateflory » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:15 pm

Millhouse wrote:what was once enough prepared food to feed a crew for the next ~5 IG years is now only enough to feed them for the next ~1.5 IG years.

Don't starve at sea, don't starve at sea, pls find land...... Gah!!!!!! :/ :P

Overall, I agree with this change, now that we are prepared for it. That one character I have though..... eesh, *crosses fingers* gonna be close!
---------------------------------
"Nature may reach the same result in many ways." - Nikola Tesla
"Dare to be naïve". - "Unity is plural and, at minimum, is two." - Bucky Fuller
Majix

Postby Majix » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:42 pm

Greek wrote:There will be some changes in a few minutes, you will be able to discuss them here soon :P

When logged off automatically you get routed back to the usual front page, not to the the page with the angry red banner.

What did I win? :-)
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:45 pm

Greek wrote:There will be some changes in a few minutes, you will be able to discuss them here soon :P

I...think I just noticed :shock:
rd1988
Location: Piękne miasto smogu, korków, dziurawych ulic i kiboli.

Postby rd1988 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:15 pm

MonkeyPants4736 wrote:

I...think I just noticed :shock:

[PER -10] What? :?
:twisted:

Return to “General Discussion”