Things that thrill or amuse you about Cantr.

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

ObsessedWithCats

Re: Things that thrill or amuse you about Cantr.

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:23 am

The anticipation of waiting for my account reactivation request to go through :) I'm considering keeping a book of what my character remembers, rather than relying on turn reports this time - make it a bit more realistic.

I actually still have one more exam to go but it's this afternoon so probably I wont be able to play before it's over anyway.

edit: successfully jinxed it - I've been reactivated already :3
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:22 pm

It's always fun to hear stories about your characters ... on other characters. I love gossip.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Friar Briar

Postby Friar Briar » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:40 am

When your character is working on a 10+ day-long project, and that progress reaches 89, 90%...Awww, yisss!! 8)
freiana

Postby freiana » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:33 pm

I really like looking through the statistics looking for weird stuff. (Did you know, for example, that on one day, nearly 30 chars were killed by other chars?)
So what I noticed today is this: The graphline of Nr_of_publ_talking_e is somewhat higher than it was back in the 1500's, whereas the number of players has gone down quite drastically.

So...

With less players, we're doing more playing! That's awesome!
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:47 pm

Some time ago a character of mine found a mountain of good stuff, steel, iron,rubies, emeralds..etc. But they were about 21, and didn't have it in them to keep said treasure. So they searched the notes, and found where it came from since the person had died inside of an unlocked car. Instead of keeping it for themselves, they drove it back to that person's town and turned it over. All of it, except for 400 grams of cooked meat. It actually felt good as the player to return lost things, customized clothing, the body, their belongings to the town.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:48 pm

Slowness_Incarnate wrote:Some time ago a character of mine found a mountain of good stuff, steel, iron,rubies, emeralds..etc. But they were about 21, and didn't have it in them to keep said treasure. So they searched the notes, and found where it came from since the person had died inside of an unlocked car. Instead of keeping it for themselves, they drove it back to that person's town and turned it over. All of it, except for 400 grams of cooked meat. It actually felt good as the player to return lost things, customized clothing, the body, their belongings to the town.

What did the town do with the resources though?
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:53 pm

Slowness_Incarnate wrote:Some time ago a character of mine found a mountain of good stuff, steel, iron,rubies, emeralds..etc. But they were about 21, and didn't have it in them to keep said treasure. So they searched the notes, and found where it came from since the person had died inside of an unlocked car. Instead of keeping it for themselves, they drove it back to that person's town and turned it over. All of it, except for 400 grams of cooked meat. It actually felt good as the player to return lost things, customized clothing, the body, their belongings to the town.

Thank you :D
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:55 pm

The person that was the loved one to this deceased woman allowed my newspawn to take almost all of the tools, iron, steel, and food plus a good shield. He kept the clothing, and traded the car for a raker to leave the island as he had nothing left but her keeping him on that island at the time. The townleader helped my newspawn out immensely afterwards by letting my character have lightweight cooked food and a place to store things until my character decided to move on.

In the end she settled there though, and still lives there to this day, and is happy.
Marian

Postby Marian » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:18 pm

That's a great story and as close as you can get to a happy ending. Nine times out of ten it wouldn't have turned out so well so it gives especially warm and fuzzy feelings to hear it when it does. :)

Anyway, myself, I am amused at how long it took me to realize that the key to having fun with this game was simply to create characters who like to have fun. And limit myself to few enough others that I have time to really enjoy them. I'm getting such a vicarious kick out of even the simplest things.

And then you find a couple of like-minded friends and it gets even better. I love how all it takes is three people with good weapons and a good ship to make the world your playground.
Axiom

Postby Axiom » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:38 pm

Marian wrote:I love how all it takes is three people with good weapons and a good ship to make the world your playground.

I know, right? ;)

Finding like-minded people is great. It thrills and amuses me when I get up to mischief or silly hijinks and other people go along with it, or vice versa. There was a situation a while back where I saw someone doing something I thought was amusing, so I joined in, and we ended up leaving the town together. Our gimmick grew even more exaggerated on the way out, and the first person we met not only wasn't completely weirded out like I expected but joined in enthusiastically. Now we're best friends and traveling together. Everyone has played off of each other and picked up on each other's cues really well, and our interactions are a source of endless amusement to me.
Marian

Postby Marian » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:47 pm

I just found a note written by a character from one of my old accounts....way, waaay far away from anywhere they ever traveled. Thanks, anonymous sailor who carried it that far, I hope it briefly amused you.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:31 pm

Marian wrote:I just found a note written by a character from one of my old accounts....way, waaay far away from anywhere they ever traveled. Thanks, anonymous sailor who carried it that far, I hope it briefly amused you.

I found an old Treefeather note of mine in the envelope owned by a Cantr inhabitant that stranded on Haven & Sanctum. :lol:

EDIT: The effect disassembly had on the radio network is very interesting and finally people are forced to get off their butt or go dark.
Kyriel

Postby Kyriel » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:13 pm

Finding notes in the middle of nowhere that say some variation on "[name] was here.".
Marian

Postby Marian » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:07 am

I have a character who has in their possession a collection of notes so delightful that I just spent over half an hour copy and pasting ALL of them over to an offline backup and then sending the file to the email where I keep my logs for good measure. I've never even considered bothering to do anything like this before, but they make me smile every time I read them and as they're one thing the turn reports won't cover I want to make sure I don't lose them if I should lose the character to some random mishap.

And I just find it both thrilling and amusing that a bunch of text from the point of view of a fictional character writing to another fictional character is able to have such an effect on me.
Marian

Postby Marian » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:59 pm

*Wiro wrote:EDIT: The effect disassembly had on the radio network is very interesting and finally people are forced to get off their butt or go dark.

I'd be interested in a poll on how much this whole incident either helped or hurt people's characters once it's all resolved.

Kind of hilarious how what has to be the too most annoying characters in the entire game are going to go down in history for this instead...

Return to “General Discussion”