Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Alladinsane

Re: Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

Postby Alladinsane » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:59 am

"Guns don't exist in Cantr"

Crossbows do though and anyone who thinks they are fast enough to dodge a bolt...probably has not seen a bolt in flight from a taut one.
I like crossbows in RL because they are seasonably silent... but so are guns since most bullets fly faster than the speed of sound.
You never hear the shot that kills you!

I sometimes do the multiple postings (usually not on purpose), there are times when you have hit the enter key before you realize that your stated thought was not complete or you did something like misspell a crucial word. Often I see people correct themselves with an additional post that has the correction listed in a way that is obviously OOC. I usually have no problem with this... but in large towns it may scroll some text from the screen. I think the easy way to make sure a statement is not buried (or overheard) is to slip a note to somebody...list who sent it and when and it does not completely eliminate misunderstandings...but it documents what you said and when you said it.

Be well!
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:08 am

Alladinsane wrote:"Guns don't exist in Cantr"
I sometimes do the multiple postings (usually not on purpose), there are times when you have hit the enter key before you realize that your stated thought was not complete or you did something like misspell a crucial word. Often I see people correct themselves with an additional post that has the correction listed in a way that is obviously OOC.

This. This is me.
Although I don't correct myself in an OOC way, but rather I pull out an excuse (swallowing a feather, a dust mote, a snow flake, coughing, etc.). But I tend to do multiple postings. Partly, because I rp almost everything. Giving a step, stepping over something, looking at the sole of my boots, cleaning it, keeping walking. I think everything is meaningful and gives the character some richness, and //i love it//when someone does the same. I read always every single word, letter...
But I have problems, and I'm admitting them. I'm obsessive, and for some other reasons that no one needs to know my thoughts and feelings are rushy. And just as hyperactive as all my characters tend to be, that way I'm IRL. I don't get usually tired, I sleep little, I laugh, I smile, I'm prankish and intense [dense]. That's me.
And sorry. I'm trying to fix that really.

-------------

What annoys me?

Chairs are insanely expensive and you can't throw them. I mean... You can even build a boat with the price of 2 chairs!! And you can't even move them from the place!! Not even to mention about throwing them at someone!! How I'm supposed to mount a whole bar fight without fencing with a chair? *giggles*
No, I'm serious.

Cars don't /seem/ to come with batteries. Either they don't have lights (pretty logic in a world when the sun never sets) or they don't have any electronics at all (no heater, no air conditioner).

You can't build miscellaneous rp items (ex.: a lighter, a pen, a pencil, nail pliers, headphones, a discman... because we are not going that far to even suggest an mp3).

In the sea no one can hear you scream... Literally. Not even if the other ship is touching yours. No sounds at all.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:59 pm

I am puzzled by this:

Bone glue - Made out of bone ash and water. Bone glue is used to increase the repair time of an object by 150%. It cannot be repaired.

This description does not make any sense to me. You use glue and it takes longer to repair something? And then it can never be repaired again?

What the what?
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:53 am

It increases repair efficiency. The correct information is on http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Category:Repair_tools
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:24 pm

PaintedbyRoses wrote:I am puzzled by this:

Bone glue - Made out of bone ash and water. Bone glue is used to increase the repair time of an object by 150%. It cannot be repaired.

This description does not make any sense to me. You use glue and it takes longer to repair something? And then it can never be repaired again?

What the what?

Well I mean, it's just like real life.. If you have a bottle of glue and you use up the glue to fix something, the glue is gone, it's part of the item you fixed with it, you can't magically return the glue to the bottle after it's been used, that would make no sense at all. Same with a whetstone, when you sharpen blades, your sharpening implement is worn away until you can't use it anymore. You also can't repair soap, or a toothbrush, or a candle. And really the only one that makes nonsense is the toothbrush, they can never be sterilized properly back to their original state but it's weird that they can't be repaired like any other small stick like item.

Anyway I came here to say it really bums me out when someone has a character who writes poetry or music but they only copy paste real songs from the internet instead of having their character actually write a song. I'm no writer but when my character is an artist I don't go stealing art, I make it organic. Also you're not supposed to do that in cantr, it breaks immersion and it's plagiarism too.
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:36 pm

I am in no way a songwriter irl, so my chars could never come up with something completely new.

One of my chars however did write a few songs within Cantr, and actually performed them.
I used the melody of well-known songs in my native language (so other players can imagine the music of the song in their head), but completely rewrote the lyrics to fit Cantr. A song about motocross became a song about nautic traders, 'the smurf song' became 'the Cantr song', things like that.
It is pretty hard to do though, it took me several rl weeks to write proper lyrics for the event.
I think ...
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:31 am

miirkaelisaar wrote:
PaintedbyRoses wrote:I am puzzled by this:

What the what?

Well I mean, it's just like real life.. If you have a bottle of glue and you use up the glue to fix something, the glue is gone, it's part of the item you fixed with it, you can't magically return the glue to the bottle after it's been used, that would make no sense at all. Same with a whetstone, when you sharpen blades, your sharpening implement is worn away until you can't use it anymore. You also can't repair soap, or a toothbrush, or a candle. And really the only one that makes nonsense is the toothbrush, they can never be sterilized properly back to their original state but it's weird that they can't be repaired like any other small stick like item.

It would make more sense to me if the wiki description said, "Bone glue is used to decrease the repair time of an object by 150%" rather than "increase." When I see that it will take 4 hours to repair something and that 4 hours reduces over time, that's decreasing? Isn't it? So why is this framed as "increasing" the repair time?

Also, in the sentence, "It cannot be repaired." I thought "it" referred to the item that had been repaired with the glue because you do not repair glue, you make more of it. It could be changed to, "The amount of glue cannot be replenished."

For someone who already knows what 'bone glue" is, it makes sense (I guess) but if you're trying to figure out it's use, the explanation is confusing. We aren't paying by the word in those Wiki descriptions, are we? Can't they be a little more detailed and actually explanatory?
Bone glue is used to decrease the repair time of an object by 150%. It is used up as the repair is made. The amount of glue cannot be replenished. When it's gone a new batch must be made.

How many repair hours do you get in one batch of bone glue?
How much glue does it take to repair something for 1 hour?
How do you know if you have enough glue to get through a repair?
What happens if you run out half way through a repair?
Can you choose to use it on one item but not another?
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:31 am

You know, it's quite possible that description was written by someone whose first language isn't English. It was never really that difficult to figure out what glue does and if it bothers you so much, then now you're not so confused about it, you could adjust it. It's a wiki page, it can be edited by the community.

Though, I'd suggest not going with your 'cannot be replenished' bit, because bone glue appears as an object in the same way as tools, therefore, it makes more sense saying 'cannot be repaired'. Just change the 'it' to 'bone glue'.
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:13 am

The wiki is player run isn't it?
If you see an error, or something that could be better phrased, can't you just go in and fix it?

I have a pet peave with defaulting to Jos as a god (sorry Jos!), characters referring to characters as Cantrians (Cantrians might come from the town of Cantr, or Cantr Island, but isn't universal. They're humans, just not the type we are in RL), and calling Fu an island. Fu's scale is so massive, it's simply the land.
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:45 pm

You can't wear two things in the mask slot, ex. Mouth mask and blindfold or glasses, which is silly. In fact there's no reason to limit the mask slot, you can wear two pairs of glasses on top of each other In real life, I've done it, you can wear full face masks on top of each other, and hats on top of each other, and all of it at once, I've literally done it all XD as a hyperphotosensitive person it really annoys me how little clothing we're able to put on our characters.
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:41 pm

miirkaelisaar wrote:You can't wear two things in the mask slot, ex. Mouth mask and blindfold or glasses, which is silly. In fact there's no reason to limit the mask slot, you can wear two pairs of glasses on top of each other In real life, I've done it, you can wear full face masks on top of each other, and hats on top of each other, and all of it at once, I've literally done it all XD as a hyperphotosensitive person it really annoys me how little clothing we're able to put on our characters.

Gosh, you can't even wear more than 1 prosthetic limb!! What if my pirate girl loses both hands and legs, and both eyes too and needs four wooden limbs and two eye patches? giggles

Ok, no. I don't have such a pirate girl. Not even a pirate. But I'm pissed at that limitation too.
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:14 am

It must be someone was worried about the old YouTube trend of wearing 100 t shirts on top of each other or something being emulated in cantr, but how often would that happen even if so? XD
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:38 am

Rocket Frog wrote:What if my pirate girl loses both hands and legs, and both eyes too and needs four wooden limbs and two eye patches?

Then she'd make a bloody awful pirate!! :lol:
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:17 am

Snowdrop wrote:
Rocket Frog wrote:What if my pirate girl loses both hands and legs, and both eyes too and needs four wooden limbs and two eye patches?

Then she'd make a bloody awful pirate!! :lol:

But a good bouy! If you have no appendages and are in the ocean...would you name be BOB?
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:43 pm

Characters who arrive in every town and leave 2 minutes later, and then later say everyone on the island is sleepy... how exactly would the character know that, having never been anywhere longer than one travel tick before? That rides the fine line between a snarky character and a player using ooc motive to justify their character's anger and voice their own issues in-game. I can never take it seriously.

Return to “General Discussion”