A visible Cantr?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Would you like Cantr to be a visible world? If so would you buy the software?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 20
sammigurl61190

Postby sammigurl61190 » Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:32 pm

David wrote:My conception of what was meant by visible Cantr, was a 3D. Sure, some added 2D effects would be nice. I don't think the labor and trouble neccesary to create a 3D cantr is worth time that could be spent on other things, though...

That's what I think when I think visible Cantr--like a CT type visible.
quidit

Postby quidit » Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:43 am

[quote="Jos Elkink"]Oh, btw, this is about the worst way of creating a poll question ;) ... Do you agree with (...) and if so would you (...) ...... Yes or no? :D

What if I want Cantr to be more visible, but I wouldn't pay for it? Or what if I would be willing to pay for Cantr, but don't care about it's visibility?

You got a point, I didnt think about that :oops:
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:28 am

Orion, Hunter and guide wrote:But even a poll with 10 vote options doesn't always cover all possibilities.

Well, then it's a bad set of 10 options :) ... A set should always be exclusive and exhaustive ...

If it is really the type of question where this is impossible, one would add a 'other: ....' option.

And a 'don't know' kind of option is generally considered a good thing, because people might feel forced to make a choice when they don't have a strong preference.
The Hunter

Postby The Hunter » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:44 am

Jos Elkink wrote:
Orion, Hunter and guide wrote:But even a poll with 10 vote options doesn't always cover all possibilities.

Well, then it's a bad set of 10 options :) ... A set should always be exclusive and exhaustive ...
quote]
Ever did a questionnaire online? at leaast 5-6 options for each questions and sometimes more, and many times i cant find the option that comes close to my opinion. So yes, the "other/don't know" comes in handy there.
And we're talking people here. There's as many opinions as there are people on this world. To cover all options you'd need, ehm, how much is the worlds population right now?

Anyway. What I would like in Cantr are small pictures as tool descrptions, I mean, who knows what a soarer is? and who knows what a mace is? especially non english speaking people wouldn't know, even tho they know a mace by seeing a pic of it. And a targe, not really a famous type of shield, unless you study history.

Or maybe something for the "cantr fanpage" small descriptions of the items and a small pic, without telling too much of their exact use ingame? Then a small button linking to that page on the site where the tool is described would suffice.
Life is fun. Play naked with Psycho-Pixie.

"Our enemies are resourceful and innovative".
"and so are we..."
They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and people"
"and neither do we"
~G.W Bush
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:18 pm

Orion, Hunter and Guide wrote:Ever did a questionnaire online? at leaast 5-6 options for each questions and sometimes more, and many times i cant find the option that comes close to my opinion. So yes, the "other/don't know" comes in handy there.
And we're talking people here. There's as many opinions as there are people on this world. To cover all options you'd need, ehm, how much is the worlds population right now?

Yes, I saw many online surveys, and I have been a research assistant on several professional surveys and had courses on survey design. I do know what I'm talking about :) ... The fact that there are as many opinions as there are people has nothing to do with whether you can formulate a question in such a way that all answer categories are logically exhaustive. E.g. "Cars should be removed from Cantr. (1) Strongly agree; (2) agree; (3) Don't know / no opinion; (4) disagree; (5) strongly disagree" - don't tell me I'm now missing the 4.012.232.132 other options :) ....

Orion, Hunter and Guide wrote:Anyway. What I would like in Cantr are small pictures as tool descrptions, I mean, who knows what a soarer is? and who knows what a mace is? especially non english speaking people wouldn't know, even tho they know a mace by seeing a pic of it. And a targe, not really a famous type of shield, unless you study history.

I agree - that would be a nice addition to the game. Small icons that are visible in the build menu and in the inventory etc. It is not so easy to develop nice graphics, though, especially not if we want them in somewhat similar style (which I would strongly prefer). If anyone has examples of such graphics or thinks (s)he can make them, feel free to send some example(s) to resources@cantr.net, CC'ed to jos@cantr.net.
The Hunter

Postby The Hunter » Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:20 pm

I'd prefer realistic black and white pencil drawings. Realistic and nice. :)

Oww... Icons you said? What size? if they're small icons it reduces possibilities a lot.

"and so are we..."

"and neither do we"

~G.W Bush
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:40 pm

Well, fairly small ... like, I dunno, 100 by 100 pixels or so. You had big drawings in mind?
The Hunter

Postby The Hunter » Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:48 pm

Jos Elkink wrote:Well, fairly small ... like, I dunno, 100 by 100 pixels or so. You had big drawings in mind?

You said buttons... those are usually a lot smaller then 100*100. But that's why I asked. :) It's a nice size, 100*100. What should be the limit in KB's? if we keep them in B/W we can keep them quite small in size.

"and so are we..."

"and neither do we"

~G.W Bush
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:49 pm

B/W is a bit ugly on our green site :D ...
new.vogue.nightmare

Postby new.vogue.nightmare » Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:59 pm

green on white or green on black? Maybe black on green? :shock: THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS. :shock:
Sicofonte wrote:SLURP, SLURP, SLURP...

<Kimidori> esperanto is sooooo sexy^^^^
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:48 pm

You forget my tactic ... green on green :D
David

Postby David » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:51 pm

There is nothing wrong with monochromatic site design; its a legitimate technique, the possibilities are almost endless with a little creativity.

:)

Speaking of HTML design, what is the parchment file for this forum Jos, I'd like to link to it for a note I'm making IC. Or if there is a problem linking directly to this source, could you put it on the main Cantr files, so I can use it without you having to worry about a dead background.

Thanks in Advance

:)

Return to “General Discussion”